Which Half-Life do you prefer?

Which Half-Life do you prefer? (no bias, please)

• Total voters

Foebane

Reaction score
I would just like to know what all of you consider to be your favourite HL.

Think carefully about which Hl you preferred more, regardless of age or innovations, but which one you generally prefer playing and enjoyed more, and say why in one sentence.

This is difficult to say, since Half-Life and Half-Life 2 have completely different moods. I loved the science/laboratory and disaster feel of the original, but I loved the revolution feel of the sequel more.

Loved both. Both are great. But i would have to say Half-Life 2.

I had a feeling HL2 might suck. I was proven wrong.

My favorite game until HL2 was HL1. HL2 had much more variety, a more intriguing story, better Allies/Enemies, and far less annoying parts in it.

That's not to say that HL1 was more revolutionary for its time, though.

It would be an easy choice. HL2 just because of the beauty of Source Engine. But, boy.. HL1 is a great game, it's just a bit outdated graphicly (gameplay wise, the game still rocks!)

I enjoyed both of the games, but I had more fun playing HL2, plus the graphics are amazing.

Again, I had more fun with the sequel.

in HL2 was more excited to play it over again right after beating it the first time. The first Half-Life i took a break for a while playing mods before i played it over. But both games are great!!!

The first one will always have a special place in my gaming heart but the better overall product is Half Life 2.

in terms of an actual GAME hl1 shits all over the sequel. Can u say that if hl1 was released for the first time this year in full source (physics, graphics) and everything it wouldnt be better than 2?. IMO advanced physics and graphics don't make a game good (doom 3) it takes a story to grab me. HL1 was a revolutionary,and forever a clsasic. nuff said.

Oh man, I can't wait to see what VALVe has up their sleeves with HL3. :D

First game is better imo, i just found it more fun to play and it was a better length. HL2 looks much better obviously but that does'nt mean a lot to me, i'm talking purely about gameplay.

edit: forgot to say about difficulty as well, HL2 is so easy even on hard its just a joke, ive never seen so many health pickups in a game. And the AI is a big factor as well, for a sequel made 6 years after its predecessor it really is pretty depressing, you could even argue that the AI has taken a step back.

i pray the halflife series does not end up like the matrix movies...

HL2... its more cooler than the original of course...

Probably Half-Life, it was more revolutionary at the time. I still love ma Half-Life 2 though.:)

CREMATOR666 said:
That's not possible !!!!!! :sniper:

can you please sort your d1ckhead signature out mate!? every time you post the page becomes 3 times wider and is a major pain in the arse!!!

anyway,

The only way I can put these two against eachother is to think back to how I felt about playing HL1 for the first time to playing HL2 for the first time, and I reckon thinking back, I enjoyed the first one better. It was definitely bigger, more innovative and the weapons and stuff were endless (where are the laser trip bombs in HL2?) The only thing I think that let HL1 down was the jumping around at the end of the game as it seems many of you would agree.

HL2 has the good looks and the physics but there was a kind of buzz with HL1 that I didn't get with HL2 so much. "I guess I'm just jaded and cynical"

HL2 was still feckin amazing

Definately the first - more intense, original and focussed. Gordon used to be a character we could relate with.

HL2 is far more generic - run and shoot. Gordon is now a super hero. It's still an excellent game - and improved on the original in almost every area (except the few that made it great ..... here HL2 took a step back)

Warbie said:
Gordon is now a super hero. It's still an excellent game - and improved on the original in almost every area (except the few that made it great ..... here HL2 took a step back)
Well he was kind of a superhero at the end of HL considering he single handily stopped the Xen invasion.

HL1 had a lot of magic, but HL2 was like watching a magician when you know how all the tricks were done. Kinda sucks knowing too much about games. HL1 gets my vote easily.

Back