Which mod has the most potential?

IchI said:
Yes, but thats my point again Jeremy. After the SDK is released the estimated time until Incsurgency is released will be about 10 months, imo. From the looks of it you have pritty much released all the player models and weapon models I would (you can't show them all, that would be a little stupid) So what do you plan on doing for the next 11 months?

They're called maps buddy.

brisck1 said:
Dark Elf you are completely correct and that is the most down-to-earth and realistic comment I have heard all day!

Never judge a book by it's cover. A mod may have a fancy website, but thats no indication of what it will play like.

I never understood the point of posting model renders when they dont represent how the thing will actually look in-game, and, if some of these 'renders' are anything to go by, these 5000 poly weapons models and 10,000 characters with there 2048x2048 textures are just totally unrealistic, and would most likey never make it in-game in there current condition.

My mod has been under construction for the past year, but I dont post renders fo the above reasons.

Still, there are some mods out there which DO have some great potential!
Same here, SW wont go posting renders until we're happy thats exactly how they'll look in game, not tricking the viewer with prerendered stuff which will always make things look better than in game stuff will.

venturon said:
They're called maps buddy.
Are you working on concepts and planning your maps at the moment/soon? It's a valid question since I brought maps up in a thread months ago and a surprising number of mods didn't seem to realise the work involved in maps or that they had to plan ahead and put a lot of effort into them to avoid their maps becoming dull and predictable.

Nah that's not true all you gotta do is enter your parameters and click 'Generate Map'.

Reaktor4 said:
your site isnt working properly in opera
unless its meant to look like that..

yeah, we know. It won't be an issue soon though.

IchI, it seems to me that you are saying that the media many mods are releasing now (i.e. renders of models and skins) could be used to a greater extent once HL2 is released and the community is larger.

Now, you have to remember... When the HL2 and the SDK arrive, there will be a lot more for mods to do besides working on models. As venturon said, maps are another piece of media to release.

Screenshots of actual in game scenes are far better than renders. Once we have the SDK, we will start to have screenshots... that's what will be used for the remainder of the time until the mod's release. People shouldn't expect just renders when it is a time where they should be seeing more than just that.

Not only screenshots though, there can also be actual in game footage released as well. People get really hyped up about that.

Now is the time (before full development stage) when mods can afford to gain interest in the mod through what they can present at the current time.

Don't be so concerned about how INS handles its PR, we are fine with it and aren't too worried about how it will be conducted in the future either because we know we'll be covered.

BTW, I'll be over in the UK for 2 weeks in late October and by Leeds, so we can have this discussion face to face :cheers:

hehehe kewl, Dark Elf is from Leeds as well. Its so good knowing people who visit or come to leeds :D

I get what you mean. My point doesn't have an anourmace advantage over yours. Its only very little (OPINION!). But I still stand by my PR ideas and I think in the long run my opinions would work better, even if it is the smallest of amounts.

Just as a note, I'm not saying Insurgency is doing anything wrong. Its far from been wrong. Your doing a good job. I'm just pointing out that if you held of the media and the actual publicity of Insurgency until you obtained the SDK and HL2 you would have a lager community in the long run and would not have to release so many of your weapons for public eye.

Point taken, just consider what Argyll was saying - we're probably going to be releasing the same sort of media after the SDK is released that we'd release even if we didnt release anything now (except that we'd just show all the pre-development stuff then instead of now, which no one cares for anyway when there can be screenshots)

Thx for voicing your opinion however we do listen to everyone :cheers:

If I ever get my mod started and the documentation done, which seems to be hard to find time to do. Mainly because I just got my computer back up a running. But I'm going to make some work by my self and maybe 3/4 other people. This will be used to gain members and just to stick the name in to peoples heads, even if most of them will forget.

After about 3/4 months of collecting work together I prepare for the media to start. Making sure people get a new update every week for up to 7 months, I will start with releasing characters and basic weapons. keeping most advanced and spectacular weapons and characters under wraps. About 1/2 months I bring out simple videos. Maybe add very very small adittions of fighting just to get people thinking. This will bring me to the release date and about... 2/3 weeks before the release I will release and offical trailer will full on action, proberly done by my self. 1/2 weeks before release I contact as many hl2 and modding websites as I can, I will get everything hosted and ready for the all go. On the release date its self I bring out gameplay and maps videos for people to look at before they download, just incase they have second thoughts.

The whole point in this tactic is to build up very slowly, your never popular and your never showing your true face until the last 1 month where you splash all your mod onto everyone. This will make sure it stays with people and ensure a popular release date.

Well, thats my idea anyway. Hopfully it will work. I need to finish my documentation and actually get a team first LOL!

Back