Which printer? (need advice)

one

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new printer and I don't know which one to buy. The thing is, I actually only need a black/white-printer, becuase I need it for text only.
Important for me is that the printer itself is cheap, but also the cartridges shouldn't be expensive.
So I found used, rather cheap laser-printers (black/white) on eBay for ~50 €. The toners cost about 30 €, but you can print about 2 or 3 thousand pages with them (they say on their auction pages).
Or should I better get a cheap ink-jet printer? There a many new, cheap printers, but perhaps the ink will be more expensive that the toners are per printed page.
So please give me your opinion! :)

Laser's will cost more when you go to the store to buy the Printer and the Toner also costs a lot more upfront. Although once you get it, the Laser will cost less to use since the Toner lasts a lot longer (a few hundred pages with Inkjets vs a few thousand pages with Laser Toner).

Either get a inexpensive laser printer. Samsung might be a good choice. HP is another option although cost more for basicly the same thing.

If you are looking at Inkjet printers then check out either the Canon ip1600 or ip4200. The IP1600 is the cheaper printer but the IP4200 has a lot cheaper cost/page with the ink. The black cartridge in the IP4200 is rather large yet still inexpensive. HP's printers may have black inks about the same price but they dont have the same amount of ink the the cartridge. A lot of Canon's inkjets now also have 2 paper trays and builtin duplexing (flips the page to print on both sides inside the printer). The inkjets can do color documents and photos but you dont need that. I think Canon advertises something like 2 cents per text page (USD).

I'm not sure on the laser for cost but it should be less. I'd see how much Lasers cost per page. If it's a big difference and the price of the Laser isn't much more than the inkjet then I'd go for the laser. But if there is not much difference cost per page but the cost to get into a laser is too much then get the inkjet.

FYI Lexmark/Dell are the king of high priced ink. Don't let the low cost of their printers fool ya. ;)
Epson is really good if you have a specific use but general text isn't what they are good at.

Thank you for your informative answer!
At the moment, I'm waiting for a friend who once offered me his Epson 850. If he shouldn't have it anymore, I'm probably going to buy a laser printer, I found (as I wrote) quite cheap ones on eBay. :)

Back