Which version of the 9800 Pro was HL2 running on in the demo?

On the official ATi website said that they were using a ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB DDR-II for running Half Life 2 and also on megagames it said they were using the 256mb version of the card.

Originally posted by Apos
Because the 256 card is 100$ more for no appreciable difference even in Doom3?

Don't be confused. The interviews, and various gaming articles, refer to DIFFERENT setups for different people. It's only at e3 that we're pretty sure Gabe was using a 9800 Pro, because he refers to it. Gabe showed the gamespot people a version that was on a 2Ghz with a GeFroce4 card.

It probably wont be too much in a few months time when they've reclaimed development costs.

the demo was pre-recorded.. cuz some dudes here "analized" it and found out some errors, and valve confirmed by e-mail that it where issues that occure because they prerecorded it.. if the game was shown live then you wouldent have thosel little bugs like a combine soldier deying before a iron beam hits him.

You're a bit confused. The presentation was a demo file, just like all the demo files for all games today. That was me that heard from Gabe about the timing artifacts being due to demo playback interpolation.

Everyone's just guessing as to wether the presentation was an in engine demo or a pre-recorded video. The truth is that no one knows. I tend to believe its the latter as it is almost standard practice at E3 to have presentations in video form as this method avoids mishaps where either the game or the system its run on crashes causing embarrasment for the developer for the whole gaming press to see.

It was a demo file, played on the engine in real time. There is no question about this. They said this, Gabe said it to me, and if that isn't enough for you, they actually switched over form the demo playback to play a level in real time right in front of everyone at e3.

It probably wont be too much in a few months time when they've reclaimed development costs.

The price DIFFERENCE is not likely to change that much, and that's everything. For every extra dollar I spend on one thing, I have to spend one dollar less on something else, whether that be saving up for an even better card later or other system components. The extra memory is useless at this time, and by the time it does become useful, I could have already used that extra 100 to make it halfway to saving for a next gen card.

Besides: it's demand and competition that will determine what they price the card at in a few months, not development costs.

I shan't say, but it doesn't matter whether I did or not. I 'm not basing it on personal experience: go and read any of the major writeups about the demo. Listen to Gabe talking in the videos.

I also got an email from Gabe saying exactly what I said: the odd timing effects, seen mostly when going frame by frame, are due to the interpolation system currently used in demo playback.

But the most important factor, all else aside, is that in the e3 demos they switched over to real time play in several showings. One of the gamespot vids is of this I believe, and it is, again, meantioned in several of the e3 articles.

it was a prerecorded halflife demo file.. which isn't a video recording, but just a play recording, you can run the recorded file on any system, and it will just be that systems capabilities displayed showing the computer playing the game for you because you ran a demo file.. i already mailed valve asking about this, NO, it's not played live, but it's not a video either, it's recorded play, ran through the engine live. and that's why there are still errors, but you are seeing the game in engine.

Back