Whine-like noise coming from my speakers!

Reaction score
Righty, it's not the speakers, becusae I plugged headphones into the Line-Out socket..

I'm using onboard sound, on an ASRock KS78X, but CMedia's downloads are broken, so simply saying 'update drivers' isn't gonna help..

Any ideas? (details of the sound chipset I'm dealing with here would be appriciated)

Hmmm this sounds like you have your microphone unmuted and it's too close to one of your speakers. Or some speaker wire is uncovered and something is connected to it, or something is generating something that disrupts your speakers. Plugged anything new in your room lately? like a charger or something?

I think i get the same problems on my laptop. Sounds like the compy is working right? :)

Anythin nearby causing electrical/radio/microwave inteference?
examples can include TETRA phones, motors (mini fridge/unshielded FAN/air con unit), backup power device, etc.

Try the speakers on something else with a headphone-out (radio/mp3 player/tv) - same effect?

If not, then its your PC (duh) so try muting everything except the wave_out and see if its still there... if so, somethings f*cked... software or hardware.

It's not the speakers. The mp3 player sounds crystel clear on them.

It's the PC :|

turn off your speakers, to test if it's really them. Ie plug em out of teh wall.

You overclocked your CPU? Once I overclocked my P2 266 a bit too far, and strangely lost TV reception throughout the house whenever the PC did anything cpu-intensive. Inteference is weird.

Not overclocked my CPU. It's not interference, it's coming through the mobo itself :|

Dissconnect your system speaker... if it's connected.

If it's coming from his motherboard that that's where it's coming from. If not then it has to be a capacitator in either his mobo or psu.

When he says it's coming through the mobo I thought he meant via the speakers - what do you mean badger?

edit: i wonder what gave me that idea *cough* topic *cough*

System speaker = the really small speaker that makes the beeps when you boot up your computer.

No sh1t... but there's only one of them.

When badger says theres a whiney noise coming from his speakers I guess he means his PCs external speakers - and when he says via the motherboard I take it he means that it is his PC that is the cause of the noise, and not the speakers.

In which case, he should RTFM. :p (and update drivers or format)

Can't believe we're arguing in a thread about badgers speakers. What has the world come to.

Yeah, the noise comes through any device I put in the Line-Out socket :|

Oh, and formatting isn't an option on this PC :)

Make it an option.
First you gotta test to see if its software, borrow someones HDD swap yours and his out, see if it happens.

If it does, your in bad shape. Could be any number of things interference on the line from a bad cap, sound card might just be fried.

Get an Audigy 2 ;)
It could be the drivers. (Cmedia right? I have some of the latest ones which might work with your mobo)
Or there could be a problem with you motherboard.

Darn computers...it could be anything.

Good luck

ComradeBadger said:
Righty, it's not the speakers, becusae I plugged headphones into the Line-Out socket..

I'm using onboard sound, on an ASRock KS78X, but CMedia's downloads are broken, so simply saying 'update drivers' isn't gonna help..

Any ideas? (details of the sound chipset I'm dealing with here would be appriciated)

Update drivers -- Get them from another site. Can't be that hard.

Back