Who wants to buy the Valve guys lunch?

What shall we get Valve?

• Pizzas (lots of them)

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • A Big Thankyou card from HL2.NET

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Submit money to a charity on their behalf

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Give them nothing, they delayed HL2 and are rich anyway!

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters
Whoops! The local Domino's Pizza store serving the 98009 zip code is not currently available for on-line internet ordering via QuikOrder.com.

. .

I don't have AIM. I'm on IRC, Steam Friends and MSN Messenger.

Wow, 20+ pizzas. Couldn't drop me one, could ya? :cheese:

Do we actually know valves address? What pizza companies do you US guys use? Somehow I doubt pizza companies take checks.

You guys should make a feature out of this on the front page.. have a 'donate pizza to devs' box on the front page with the paypal-donate button =) also have one of them progress slider-bar things so we know where we're at...

i'll donate something, i'm not entirely skint, and the people need their pizza

Currently @: 19.212385 pizzas, 2.787615 to go. :D

Seriously, we have to do this.

Yeah, seriously good PR opportunity for HL2.NET - too good to miss?

Wouldn't something like 20 cakes on the release date be more appropriate?
Or maybe a huge amount of something cheap like... 1000 chewing gums!
Or maybe 10 strippers.. :E

Something once they anounce the Gold date would be wonderfull in my opinion.

Or simply when the most people are visiting this site. Purhaps when new media is released closer to release. Something like that.

One thing I was going to suggest was a collective thankyou thread where everyone can say something and then we email the page to valve.

Anyway, I would love to pay for something for them. But I dont have the capacity. :(

This is such a good idea, we should have done this just after the leak had occured. It would have cheered them right back up again.

Oh well, I wish I could donate but without a credit card and parents who aren't exactly trusting of online transactions I will really only be able to put my name on some thankyou card sent along with the lunch.

How about we pick one day when we all buy whatever we want and send it to them.
It'll be like christmas at Valve. :)

Nah... I just don't think pizza is such a good idea.

Rick said pizza would be great and that they love it.

I know Pendragon can't do this without a credit card. Can any of the other mods do this?

I've got an account setup, and I could also setup a 'business account' up under Halflife2.net. However, does everyone here trust sending money to someone's pay-pal account and trusting it will be used in the manner mentioned? Both personal and buisness accounts will lead to someone's personal bank account or credit card.

Like I said, I'd be happy to do it. I can setup the account under my company's name or as Halflife2.net. Either way it'll go to own of my accounts. So if everyone feels they can trust a guy on a Half-Life 2 forum, I'll put everything together and get those guys some food.

Seems like it would be reasonably easy to raise the funds. You only need about 20 pizzas or so, which is about what, $150? Just get 150 people to donate a dollar.

The only thing is that while it would certainly be a very nice gesture it seems somewhat odd. I mean if you could raise $150 for pizza why not donate it to a charity in Valves name or something? I can definitely understand wanting to do something nice for the Valve employees, but when you think about it a charity could certainly use the food much more than Valve could.

I think a much better idea would be to give them something that doesn't cost money, but still expresses everyone's gratitude for their hard work. Like having everyone send them a letter saying thanks, or creating a nice website that tells them thankyou and allows people to sign a guestbook or something along those lines.

Neutrino said:
The only thing is that while it would certainly be a very nice gesture it seems somewhat odd. I mean if you could raise $150 for pizza why not donate it to a charity in Valves name or something? I can definitely understand wanting to do something nice for the Valve employees, but when you think about it a charity could certainly use the food much more than Valve could.

Dear Valve $150 has been donated under your name to the (insert charity here). Rofl thats a good idea.

Lets just send them an envelope with some money in it and let them buy themselves pizzas.

DarkStar said:
Lets just send them an envelope with some money in it and let them buy themselves pizzas.
not a bad idea...

or! we should find out what pizza place they like the best.... pizza hut, dominoes, papa john's, black jack, perhaps something unique to the seattle area?

edit: also, what if we made a "donate to valve" thing... someone mentioned something like this earlier... but slightly different... where there's a paypal account opened up, and community members could donate money, and when hl2 is released, we give the donations to valve, to perhaps aide them in their vacation or something?(not that they need the money, but just a gift from community to valve eh?) i like this idea.

I just really don't think money is a good way to thank Valve. They already have plenty of it and if you want to raise money a charity could use it a whole lot more.

I just think a non-monetary method would be far better. Something where people could express their gratitude and say thanks.

i'll donate 5€ for the pizza's if I can do it through the bank. I don't use visa. Stop posting other idea's because you're breaking up the idea, please.

Element Alpha said:
Stop posting other idea's because you're breaking up the idea, please.

Sorry, but I just don't think any monetary donation is a good way to thank Valve, for the reasons I stated above.

But if no one else thinks so then carry on. I'll shut up.

Edit: Perhaps a better way to explain it is that it woudl feel wrong to me to donate or collect money for a multi-million dollar corporation when there are so many other worthy causes. But as Jack Hit said....*really shutting up now* :p

Neutrino said:
Sorry, but I just don't think any monetary donation is a good way to thank Valve, for the reasons I stated above.

But if no one else thinks so then carry on. I'll shut up.

well that's a good point, so maybe we could use money from paypal donations and buy them something ... interesting, like .. ehhhh nevermind, i dunno... *shutting up*

A giant thankyou card would be awesome.

Better yet a billboard saying "Thanks for Half-Life 2"

How about we all go there and together with Valve creates the largest group hug known to man! :eek:

So... has anything been decided?
I'm willing to throw in a couple of bucks.
I'm not sure how pay pal works though.. will visa do?

Jackal hit said:
not a bad idea...

I don't know if you were around Jackal, but a way long time ago there was this running joke on this site about sending Valve "an envelope with sum money in it." I don't even really remember how it got started. So, in other words, I wasn't being serious.

I'm still in favour of the pizza idea, but as marksman said we should send the pizzas when the game goes gold or something.

sure but we should raise the money now :/

don't wanna be late sendin the stuff

not to sound like a stick in the mud, why not take that money and give it to a charity or the poor? Valve employees are not exactly lacking in funds. I know you guys would like to do something nice for the great guys at valve but maybe setting up a fund and donating in Valves name would be a good idea.

Guys, the point in doing this was to do something nice for the guys at Valve. It would be encouraging at this point in the development cycle to see that your fans care about you. I know that Valve isn't lacking in money, but that's not the point. The point is to show our support, nothing more.

But, I do like the idea of sending a big Thank You card alongside the pizzas. I'll start setting that up as well.

I spoke to one of the mods about payment, and he doesn't have a credit card. So, I'm thinking about handling the donation organization myself. The problem is that I'm not one of the more well known members of the community, although I can try and show you guys that I'm not a thief. Click here to see my profile on IGN, where I have 12,000 posts.

Also, this might help a bit. I operate a construction consulting firm out of Brooklyn, NY, and our website can be found here. If you think I'm pulling anything malicious with the funds, you can call the numbers on that site. Or, I can give out my cell number to everyone who donates, just so you can always get in touch with me. If anyone has any other ideas, post them here.

But in the end, this is just a big "Thank You" to the guys at Valve.

What would be great is to find some kind of company that could send a card with the pizzas.

We could also put pictures of those who donated, with their name and nickname underneath it on the card.

CptStern said:
not to sound like a stick in the mud, why not take that money and give it to a charity or the poor? Valve employees are not exactly lacking in funds. I know you guys would like to do something nice for the great guys at valve but maybe setting up a fund and donating in Valves name would be a good idea.

:thumbs: .........

MaxiKana, I'm sure if we FedExed a pizza restaurant a thank you card they could deliver it alongside the pizzas. I mean, its not everyday they receive huge orders like this. ;)

Haha, no not really. And if the pizza delivery guy is a HL fan.. well delivering 20 pizzas to valve must be a dream come true!

Xcellere said:
Guys, the point in doing this was to do something nice for the guys at Valve. It would be encouraging at this point in the development cycle to see that your fans care about you. I know that Valve isn't lacking in money, but that's not the point. The point is to show our support, nothing more.

But, I do like the idea of sending a big Thank You card alongside the pizzas. I'll start setting that up as well.

I spoke to one of the mods about payment, and he doesn't have a credit card. So, I'm thinking about handling the donation organization myself. The problem is that I'm not one of the more well known members of the community, although I can try and show you guys that I'm not a thief. Click here to see my profile on IGN, where I have 12,000 posts.

Also, this might help a bit. I operate a construction consulting firm out of Brooklyn, NY, and our website can be found here. If you think I'm pulling anything malicious with the funds, you can call the numbers on that site. Or, I can give out my cell number to everyone who donates, just so you can always get in touch with me. If anyone has any other ideas, post them here.

But in the end, this is just a big "Thank You" to the guys at Valve.

that sounds like the most reasonable offer so far.

"Ever have one of those weeks? Well it appears that sometime lastnight a hacker cracked the Paypal database and installed a key-logger gaining our account information, and a stolen build of the pizza has been leaked onto the internet. Looks like we are going to have to delay the pizza until summer 2004... Hope you guys don't starve"

:cheese:

yeh im up for this, except ill donate something like 5-10 english pounds, which totals about 1 billion us dollars!!!!!! ** Willber123 does dr.evil style little finger to the mouth **
ok, maybe not that much, but quite a bit :p

Back