Why can't Gabe answer?

nbk-brando

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mountain Man

VIC: Can you finally confirm that the release date will be 9/30 to put an end to all the rumors of the last few days?

Gabe Newell: No comment. (Editorial comment: Damn it, Gabe, just answer the question already!) [/B]

If there is a delay, just come out and say it. Why all the mystery? Perhaps they're working as hard as they can towards the deadline and it's 50%/50% whether they'll hit it or not?

This has been discussed quite a few times about the release date, search the forums

Let me answer your question, with a similar one:

Why can't people use threads already in existance to talk about similar topics?! :p

There's three possibilities:

1) He's fed up of no one trusting his original insistance regarding the release date and is no longer willing to rectify our paranoia.

2) It's being released early.

3) It is actually delayed.

I believe it's the first option or the third.

Ahem.

This is a brand new interview that was just posted in the "Info from Valve" thread minutes ago. If I missed a post that was 3 minutes before mine, I'm sorry. Sue me. :rolleyes:

Well, I think they've threatened to chop off his peter if he told anyone. I'm serious. :naughty:

People have already begun to question this in other threads. I think it might mean that the final adjustments for release are taking longer than they expected. I'm really just guessing here, but I would bet that they're at the point where if everything goes according to schedule then it'll be out on the 30th of September, but if some things take longer than they should, then it might be delayed. That's why he won't comment; he doesn't know one way or the other. Again, I'm just speculating.

Don't take it personally! Was only joking.

But actually there is a discssion open floating around the first page about the delay: What's the deal with the delay?

here's what GameSpyDaily says about the HL2 delay:

Just a follow-up on yesterday's Half-Life 2 delay story: to clear things up, we have confirmed directly with Vivendi Universal that there is a delay. We've even double checked. Valve has yet to send an official confirmation or denial either way on this, and other sites are reporting that there isn't a delay based on alleged email answers Gabe Newell sent to random fans. In some cases, these mails are obviously forged.

Yes, Valve is developing Half-Life 2 and they have control over when the game is declared finished, but Vivendi is responsible for publishing the game and actually getting it in stores. And that entire quality assurance, duplication, packaging, and distribution process takes time. So Vivendi has a little bit of say in the matter too, wouldn't you say?

Now, if there really wasn’t a delay, Valve could have easily sent a two line press release out telling everybody that everything was right on schedule. But they haven’t. And considering the original Half-Life, TF2, TFC, the HL SDK, Steam, CS: CZ, and pretty much every other project Valve has been involved with has suffered delays of various lengths, this latest setback shouldn’t be surprising.

Really, this isn’t a big deal, as we should still get the game this year. Valve doesn’t want to push a crappy version of Half-Life 2 out the door just for the sake of meeting some arbitrary deadline, and I’m sure they won’t ship Half-Life 2 until it is ready.

:'(

I think that Gabe has said they were working for a Sept. 30th release, and that hasn't changed. But also, he can't guarantee that some problem(s) won't come up that might delay the release.

Originally posted by Chris_D
Don't take it personally! Was only joking.

But actually there is a discssion open floating around the first page about the delay: What's the deal with the delay?

I saw that thread but was torn between posting on the 4th page of a 3 week old thread, or posting a new thread (due to new info). I opted for the latter to possibly break in some new discussion. :cheers:

Originally posted by @bel
here's what GameSpyDaily says about the HL2 delay:

:'(

That's an old news snip. I think the same one was on Planethalflife.com

Q:Can you finally confirm that the release date will be 9/30 to put an end to all the rumors of the last few days?

Answer from gabe: No comment.

Well this is jus not like gabe. i mean he wouldn't jus say NO COMMENT.

ok he jus did, but what i mean is, it can't be hard to say yes or no, so maybe there is a serprise happening there

Or they want we think it will be in november and then they will make the surprise the 30 september.

You are looking somethings in a shop and you want to see what s new in the game section and wow you see hl2 .

that what they do with unreal II they said nothing about the release date.

TRUE.....but i don't think they would release it in the shops, and still people wouldn't know about it. would be SWEEEET as

yes, but it could very well be a nasty surprise.

Well maybe Gabe won't answer because he's being cautious. They could have run into some snags lately that might push the release back. He might not want to say anything until it becomes more clear whether they'll make the original date or not.

BECAUSE HE CAN'T. Bottom Line.

That's how business is sometimes, it's very common. Now shut up.

No it doesn't, he owns Valve. Lol. But he would be against himself...

Why would you release info that you would rather have as a surprise? I mean... completely being silent about multiplayer, you think that's good or bad? I think they'll probably blow us away with multiplayer...

He hasnt made this much money and gotten this far by being a complete idiot......

i asked him if we will be going back in time to blackmesa i never got a answer and i spam the shit out of him.

Gabe isn't talking because:
a) as has already been stated, he's probably not allowed to by Vivendi
b) he's allowing the delay rumor, a supposed "miscommunication," to die out naturally (keeping in mind that Gabe has said that any delay not announced by VALVe is untrue)
c) he doesn't have to. Why reinforce a possibly unrealistic release date when you can remain quiet? Who here isn't going to buy Half-Life 2 if it isn't out on Sept. 30th?

HL2 Stone, spamming the shit out of Gabe's inbox isn't going to get you an answer or make Gabe more inclined to respond to the fans, especially when Gabe has already said that Gordon isn't returning to Black Mesa.

There is a troll among us, actually theres a whole tribe of them

Curious, if he can't answer, why bother opening delay e-mails and saying No Comment?

I mean seriously, it only deepens the paranoia. Why doesn't he just not answer at all? "No Comment" answers really tick me off. :cool:

Because black mesa is really real and the gman is real and the gman is watching us hes really watching us and the resenance cascade really happened and aliens really came thru because xen is really real and now gabe can't say anything because the gman will teleport him into a place where he could never survive because he is on the gmans leash and he will forever be and the delay is because the gman grew a mole on the left of his neck and now they had to revamp the model with a bigger weenie because that has nothing to do with it omg stop reading.

Originally posted by nw909
Because black mesa is really real and the gman is real and the gman is watching us hes really watching us and the resenance cascade really happened and aliens really came thru because xen is really real and now gabe can't say anything because the gman will teleport him into a place where he could never survive because he is on the gmans leash and he will forever be and the delay is because the gman grew a mole on the left of his neck and now they had to revamp the model with a bigger weenie because that has nothing to do with it omg stop reading.

I actually read all of that....:rolling: *Gasps for air*

Originally posted by nw909

Yes, psychiatric help isn't for everyone, but then again...

Originally posted by Dunsel
I think that Gabe has said they were working for a Sept. 30th release, and that hasn't changed. But also, he can't guarantee that some problem(s) won't come up that might delay the release.

Ageed

Originally posted by oldi1knoby
Yes, psychiatric help isn't for everyone, but then again...

Don't worry, the doctor said im good now.

It's perhaps worth mentioning that in that interview, he also didn't answer the question about HL3, which he has mentioned in the past... Just something to chew on

Maybe he is bored of your questions, if Valve say Sept. 30th...No reply necessary

Back