Why did they cut the ship?

Eternity said:
There have been no major complaints about the A.I., but I was expecting lavish praise. The A.I. in OpFor was completely insane, and I was expecting them to build on that instead of go off on another direction.

I remember Gabe saying the A.I. would be able to scale latters and go everywhere you would, but the reviews just don't seem to be mentioning these things. I miss the cautious soldiers of Hl1: The Combine just seem more stupid. For one thing, it looks like they very seldom run.

I'd like to remind you that you havent played the game yet, so just relax dude. Just because they're not praising the AI doesnt mean its crap. They haven't said anything is wrong with the AI either, from what i gather, the only bad thing it does is get in your way from time to time

I'd hate to be one of the members of the team responsible for that ship ... even if I did get paid for the work.

MEGA BUMP

But you're excused for two reasons:
1.) Awesome icon.
2.) Ah, the good old days of unbridled hype.

Narcolepsy said:
MEGA BUMP
No SH*T!!

I got exited again, seeing Chris D asking how do we really know the ship is not in the game -- thought he new about a hidden trick to get to it! ;(

Just a thought tho, maybe the ship would be one of the "ATI Levels". After all, it sounds like they did a HUGE amount of work on that map, why not add it in with the add-on content? Or failing that, maybe they will make it an mp map -- why throw away perfectly good content?

so about 15 months has passed since this post, im new here, whats going on with the ship? it sounds pretty damn awesome (i mean like, was it hidden in the game and i'm stupid, or maybe in the sdk, or announced in an upcoming add-on, or nothing at all?)

I thought everyone knew about the ship. The ship was an icebreaker named Borealis and was the original way that Gordon got to City 17. It was determined that it wasn't the storyline they wanted to follow and instead had him arrive via train. Go read the "Final Hours of Half Life 2" article on Gamespot http://www.gamespot.com/features/6112889/index.html In that article there are exterior and interior shots of the icebreaker. Watch it, the article probably contains spoilers.

I don't see the big deal, after all they control the story flow and I tihnk everyone will admit that they did a good job presenting the story to us. Maybe it just didn't work.

Snewo

Dasparov said:
the ship that you got the ice breaker on?
Huh? The ship WAS an ice breaker, silly. An ice breaker is a type of ship.

i know, but i didnt want to say is that the ice breaker you get the ice breaker from, thats the only type of ship ive heard of anyway

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Huh? The ship WAS an ice breaker, silly. An ice breaker is a type of ship.
an ice breaker = ship o_O

i always thought the ice breaker was a special weapon in hl2! crack skulls with the ice breaker! or break ice, watch the awesome physics as shards of ice slice your eyes open! awesome christmas gift for the kids

Borealis was modelled on the Coast Guard icebreaker POLAR STAR which ties up at pier 36 in Seattle - right across the street from Safeco Field. From the looks of the screen shots, she is highly realistic:

Borealis

USCGC POLAR STAR

I hope it makes it into the add ons...

Back