Why do you brits say "Zed" instead of just Z

So much brainwashing going on in this thread. Numbers scares the hell out of me as always, and you Brits are so confused you don't know what's going on with your alphabet. You can't just call a band "Zee Zee Top" then turn around and try to get away with Z = zed. It just doesn't work like that.

Yes we can.

What about that common expression you see on products or commercials, "E-Z" As in "easy". Not "E-Zed"

Why Zed? It sounds ridiculous.. No other letter makes a sound anything like that.. Ay Bee See Dee Ee Eff Gee etc.. It's not Ay Bed Sed Ded Eed Fed Ged.
H(is there a phoenetic way of spelling that?), I(Eye), F(Eff), M(Emm) and N(Enn) are different too. Lets change them to Hee, Eee(which is already taken :p), Fee, Mee and Nee!

H(is there a phoenetic way of spelling that?), I(Eye), F(Eff), M(Emm) and N(Enn) are different too. Lets change them to Hee, Eee(which is already taken :p), Fee, Mee and Nee!
They still use only add vowels to pronounce them. Zed adds a D and that's just crazyness.

An American coined the term Aluminum without the extra i.

He also coined it without the "n".

Wikipedia said:
In English-speaking countries, the spellings (and associated pronunciations) aluminium and aluminum are both in common use in scientific and nonscientific contexts. In the United States and English-speaking Canada, the spelling aluminium is largely unknown, and the spelling aluminum predominates. Elsewhere in other English-speaking countries the spelling aluminium predominates, and the spelling aluminum is largely unknown.

The "ium" spelling is the most widespread version around the world. The word is aluminium in French, Aluminium in German, and identical or similar forms are used in many other languages. Consequently it is the more common of the two spelling methods.

The International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) adopted aluminium as the standard international name for the element in 1990, but three years later recognized aluminum as an acceptable variant. Hence their periodic table includes both, but places aluminium first. IUPAC officially prefers the use of aluminium in its internal publications, although several IUPAC publications use the spelling aluminum.

The IUPAC slept with your mom.

-Angry Lawyer

Why Zed? It sounds ridiculous.. No other letter makes a sound anything like that.. Ay Bee See Dee Ee Eff Gee etc.. It's not Ay Bed Sed Ded Eed Fed Ged.

There are lots of letters that have a unique sound in the alphabet, not just 'British Z'. Or would you advocate changing pronounciation of W to 'wee'?

edit: ok so Riomhaire already made the same point....

Aee, Fee, Hee, Iee, Jee, Kee, Lee, Mee, Nee, Oee, Qee, Ree, See (sounds the same as C), Uee, Wee, Xee, Yee, Zee.

There's a sobering thought.

Nah, that could be misinterpreted as the sound in "pie".

I'd spell it aytch.

I would think ay would be interpreted as "eye" when it is at the front of a word. To me when ai is in front it sounds like "a" in wraith, or bait, or even ain't, even though ain't ain't an official word.

And Vegeta pwnt it.

Hardly. Everyone says 'Double-yoo', and that has no less than two additional consonant sounds, completely invalidating Vegeta's point, as I don't see him arguing "'Double-yoo' is totally retarded, it should be 'wee'".

ah, beh, seh, cheh, deh, eh, effeh, heh, achee, eeh, hotah, kah, elleh, eyeh, emeh, eneh, enyeh, ooh, peh, coo, ere, errrrrrrre, eseh, teh, ooh, ubeh, dooblebeh, ehkees, eegreaygah, setah.

ah, beh, seh, cheh, deh, eh, effeh, heh, achee, eeh, hotah, kah, elleh, eyeh, emeh, eneh, enyeh, ooh, peh, coo, ere, errrrrrrre, eseh, teh, ooh, ubeh, dooblebeh, ehkees, eegreaygah, setah.

heh was that in spanish?

ah, and in german!

Ah, bay, tsay, day, ay, ef, gay, ha, ee,yot, kah, el, em, en, o, pay, koo, air, ess, tay, oo, fow, veh, eeks, upsilon, set, esset

I guess, because with a multi-cultural country, it makes sense saying Zed, so not to get mixed up with C. With different accents, social upbringing and delivery speeds, it just prevents complications.

Canadians say "zed" too. However I have alreays refused it, saying "zee' instead.

Ever heard of a zed-bra or added a zed-ro to the end of a number?

This also applies to other letters, words or pronunciations (which I use incorrectly :( )

No we dont :(
The damn Newfies say that.

british kindergarden class-

"...X, Y, Zed."

Zed-

*snore* "zz-huh? wha? stupid kids."

For those of you arguing the ridiculous ZZ Top point, "ZZ Top" is a Proper Noun, and is to be pronounced as it was created. Duh.

So 'z's in proper nouns should be pronounced how exactly? I've no idea how it was created to be pronounced. o_O

"ZZ Top" was conceived as "Zee Zee Top", so that's how it should be pronounced, irrespective of the country you're from.

Back