Why does DoD:S cost $$ when CS:S doesn't??

th3Phallex

Reaction score
Can someone explain why DoD:S costs money, while CS:S came free w/ HL2??

They are both re-creations of previous "mods", both using Source engine, both different games from HL2.

Why would one cost money, when the other one doesn't??

To make it fair, they should either make the CS:S n3rdz pay for it (too late), or give away DoD.

Because CS:S is:
1. Available right now, whilst DOD:S is still not available.
2. HL2's multiplayer component. HL2DM was only an afterthought, almost certainly knocked together when the userbase (and critics) made enough fuss. People who buy HL2 expect a Multiplayer component: for a time, this was CS:S and CS:S alone.

Both are remakes of popular mods - but both are retail quality, and stiff competition for competitor's retail stuff. Valve need to offer us some kind of multiplayer (CS:S), but why should they offer us everything? I mean, DOD:S is still an investment in that they have to dedicate staff to updating it, when these staff could be working on other Valve projects (TF2, Alyx Expansion), so why should we expect it to be free?

and if you looked just afew post down you would see that this is already being talked about....

I just hope it's not too much $$ because I love this Mod and will most certainly shell out for it.

-WorldSpawn- said:
I just hope it's not too much $$ because I love this Mod and will most certainly shell out for it.
Same here.

What about TF:Source?

Do we have to pay for that also, or will that come free, like CS:S??

Because it is published by a different company and Valve wanted Bronze identical to what you would get in a store, IMO.

th3Phallex said:
What about TF:Source?

Do we have to pay for that also, or will that come free, like CS:S??
There's no TF:Source, instead there's a TF2 (which has been in the making for longer than HL2).

You can bet your ass you'll hafta pay for it, and it's going to rock.

Teddy said:
There's no TF:Source, instead there's a TF2 (which has been in the making for longer than HL2).

Oh yeah, TF2.

I called it TF:S because it's no longer TeamFortress Classic, since it's using the Source engine and has all new graphics, materials, sound assets, etc...

It's interesting that Valve was able to pump out HL2-DM so quickly, and yet they seem like they still have quite a while before releasing TF2...

It seems like the Fortress:Forever mod will come out before TF2.

wuddup wit dat?

th3Phallex said:
Oh yeah, TF2.

I called it TF:S because it's no longer TeamFortress Classic, since it's using the Source engine and has all new graphics, materials, sound assets, etc...

It's interesting that Valve was able to pump out HL2-DM so quickly, and yet they seem like they still have quite a while before releasing TF2...

It seems like the Fortress:Forever mod will come out before TF2.

wuddup wit dat?
Well as someone who followed the development of Half-Life 2 since it was first announced I can tell you that Valve told us at a few points that HL2 did have its own multiplayer that they were testing. Obviously it was never finished for release but it meant that they probably had an easy time throwing together the bare minimum needed to actually release it once enough people had complained. TF2 is basically a total conversion using the Source engine and is just one of the many projects that Valve is currently working on right now.

Remember they are working on HL3, HL2 expansions, updating Steam, updating CS:S, developing DoD:Source, etc.

The Mullinator said:
... Remember they are working on HL3 ...

Are you sure they've even started working on that yet?

BTW, what are some differences between TF and DoD?

They are both war-related, right?

Obviously TF is a Team, Objective-based, MultiPlayer.

Isn't DoD? Isn't it like the "Call of Duty/Medal of Honor" -type-games, where there are historic places to battle?

We don't know enough about TF2 to say. It's a safe bet that it is FAR more team orientated than anything else on the market, though.

they better make it a decent price, and its just another way for valve to make money without it filtering through vivendathats all

cheap sellouts

urban said:
they better make it a decent price, and its just another way for valve to make money without it filtering through vivendathats all

cheap sellouts

If your talking about DOD:S VUG won't have anything todo with it. Activision has publishing rights to DOD.

th3Phallex said:
What do you mean?

What were the differences in the originals (TF:C and DoD)??

DoD is set in WW2 and featured realistic (for a fps) weapons, damage etc etc.

TFC is very unrealistic, doesn't claim to have any basis on reality and features insane grenade/rocket-jumping etc.

Of course both have 'classes' and have similar objectives to their maps, but the action and gameplay is completely different.

Eejit said:
DoD is set in WW2 and featured realistic (for a fps) weapons, damage etc etc.

TFC is very unrealistic, doesn't claim to have any basis on reality and features insane grenade/rocket-jumping etc.

Of course both have 'classes' and have similar objectives to their maps, but the action and gameplay is completely different.
Neither game is even remotely realistic, they are both action games.
I wouldn't be suprised if TF2 wasn't much different than DoD..

Team Fortress: Popular mod for the Quake Engine

Team Fortress Classic: The first mod that Valve bought the rights to. They took in, amongst others, John Cook and other well known Valve staff.

Team Fortress 1.5: Version 1.5 of TFC including numerous updates and improvements

Team Fortress Classic: Source: Apparently in development and it is a direct port of TF1.5 into the Source engine.

Team Fortress 2: Been in development for longer than Half-Life 2. No updates have been released since 1999. The news went quiet on this game because they started making it on the Source engine. Because they wanted to keep the Source engine a secret until they released Half-Life 2, they just stopped updating us on it. Last that was heard was it's still definitely in development. As an indication to how good the art direction is; one of my favourite artists at Valve, Kristen Perry, is doing all the world textures. She's the lady that painted all the concept art for the CS:Source remakes such as cs_italy and de_dust.

Alec Moody said:
Neither game is even remotely realistic, they are both action games.
I wouldn't be suprised if TF2 wasn't much different than DoD..
DOD is considerably more realistic than TF. DOD is set in real world locations, has real world weaponry and it's also set in a time that's familiar to most in the history of our world.

TF is a world consisting of high-tech weaponry, fictional locations and not set in any particular time frame that resmebles any part of our heritage.

Chris_D said:
DOD is considerably more realistic than TF. DOD is set in real world locations, has real world weaponry and it's also set in a time that's familiar to most in the history of our world.

TF is a world consisting of high-tech weaponry, fictional locations and not set in any particular time frame that resmebles any part of our heritage.

Thanks for clearing that up.
:thumbs:

Chris_D said:
Team Fortress 2: Been in development for longer than Half-Life 2. No updates have been released since 1999. The news went quiet on this game because they started making it on the Source engine.
Just for the record, It seems a switch to what we now know as source was actually confirmed by Valve, but after the dizzy heights Half-Life and TF fans were reaching in seeing the original showings at E3, the announcement passed us all by and Valve were assumed to have just gone unneccesarily quiet.

Chris_D said:
As an indication to how good the art direction is; one of my favourite artists at Valve, Kristen Perry, is doing all the world textures. She's the lady that painted all the concept art for the CS:Source remakes such as cs_italy and de_dust.
Just for those not in the know, here is an example of the overpainting technique. She was also responsible for the CS:Source artwork, including this version (Pictures are legal scans from HL2.net Raising the Bar review)

I'd pay well over $200 for DoD:S but maybe that's just me.. For a game as good as dod, it saddens me that you all can't dish out the measly $10 you could find on your floor.

DreadLord1337 said:
I'd pay well over $200 for DoD:S but maybe that's just me.. For a game as good as dod, it saddens me that you all can't dish out the measly $10 you could find on your floor.

What?
I WISH I could find 10 bucks on my floor!

And I'm going to buy those games anyways.

I thought they would cost more than $10, though.

th3Phallex said:
What?
I WISH I could find 10 bucks on my floor!

And I'm going to buy those games anyways.

I thought they would cost more than $10, though.

There were rumors that you could upgrade your HL2-Bronze account to silver for $10 to enable DoD Source.. Probably not confirmed though.

Dont kid yourself, you paid for CS:S. Oh and i think Valve have said that they will endevour to port alot of their back catalouge. So that would mean there could be TFC:Source aswell as TF2. That said they may not as there are a number of mods bringing foward the more popular titles (TFC and DMC).

MjM said:
Dont kid yourself, you paid for CS:S.

No, actually, I didn't.

I paid $50 for the Half-Life2 retail box.

Then I downloaded CS:S AND HL-DM for free.

BRODIEMAN2k4 said:
Wasn't DoD source reported that it would be free now :confused:

er dont think they did.

And CS:S and HL2:DM was still free with HL2.....no matter how you look at it, you got both of them because you bought HL2..

If you think there wasnt a charge imbedded in the charge for HL2 then you would be mistaken. They cant run a charity when it comes to CS:S.

And as far as i wold say HL2DM is just a continuation of HL2 development.

MjM said:
They cant run a charity when it comes to CS:S.

What, or else they would lose money?

:LOL:

I fail to see how paying regular price for HL2 includes paying a price for CS:S. Therefore, it is free to me since I didn't pay more than I would if I bought any other 1 game, and I got 3 games (counting HL2, HL-DM, and CS:S).

MjM said:
Meaining CS:S boosts sales?

Indeed.

Especially when it comes with Half-Life 2. Two games for the price of one.

It's like info-mercials: they keep throwing the free stuff at you until you can't refuse to buy it.

Then thats just more perception. Your paying for a package, there was a cost involved in developing CS:S, then there is a cost passed on to the consumer. Thats my rationale.

th3Phallex said:
Indeed.

Especially when it comes with Half-Life 2. Two games for the price of one.

It's like info-mercials: they keep throwing the free stuff at you until you can't refuse to buy it.

See this is my point exactly. The cost of that free stuff is incorporated into the price of the item you end up buying. Why else can they give away "Free" stuff? Its not because they are making a loss.

MjM said:
The cost of that free stuff is incorporated into the price of the item you end up buying.

Oh.

Well, they'd better make DoD and TF2 as cheap as CS:S is -- around 1/2 the price of the "bundled package."

That would be fair.

To pay the full price and get 1 game (like DoD) is not the same as buying the HL2 "package" and getting CS:S with it.

th3Phallex said:
Oh.

Well, they'd better make DoD and TF2 as cheap as CS:S is -- around 1/2 the price of the "bundled package."

That would be fair.

To pay the full price and get 1 game (like DoD) is not the same as buying the HL2 "package" and getting CS:S with it.

TF2 shouldnt be as cheap considering its a brand new game...not a port.

Back