Why does Vivendi want to release in November?

Why would Vivendi delay it purposely? I dont think they can afford that

I don't think Vivendi would delay the game. If the game was released in October, they could always start a new advertising campaign when the holiday season starts getting closer.

They better not delay it till november, if not i demand a free copy of the CE. :E

I don't know if anyone remembers but the same thing happened with HL1 (in that they were frantically squashing bugs while evryone was waiting impatiently for it), and they ended up releasing it in November. Its called a THANKSGIVING release. No "christmas market" or anything like that. Thanksgiving is its own time, far apart from anything else. If it had any involvement with the holidays, then it would be released on or after the day after thanksgiving, because thats when holiday shopping officially starts. Thats why its a fall release and not a holiday release.

Money. Plain and simple. They are greedy arogant money grubbing jerk-offs. I won't buy the game after sept. It's a moral thing.

VU can cramp the game up their arse if they moneygrub.

You have to understand, every company wants to make money. They dont care about you, everything adds up to making money.

CaptainSpanky87 said:
I don't know if anyone remembers but the same thing happened with HL1 (in that they were frantically squashing bugs while evryone was waiting impatiently for it), and they ended up releasing it in November. Its called a THANKSGIVING release. No "christmas market" or anything like that. Thanksgiving is its own time, far apart from anything else. If it had any involvement with the holidays, then it would be released on or after the day after thanksgiving, because thats when holiday shopping officially starts. Thats why its a fall release and not a holiday release.
There is no thanksgiving in Europe...in fact there's no thanksgiving anywhere except in the US, and knowing Vivendi is a french company :)

I hope they don't release it in November...it'll crush Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. I hope they release it at any time but November. That way, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within will have a chance at 'Game of the Month'.
:)

wonkers said:
Money. Plain and simple. They are greedy arogant money grubbing jerk-offs. I won't buy the game after sept. It's a moral thing.

VU are in business to make money, that's the way it works.

wonkers said:

This is what businesses do; they try to make money. it's nothing out of the ordinary. And if you intend to boycott Half-Life 2 after September, well that's your loss unfortunately, not Vivendi or Valve's.

KagePrototype said:
If Vivendi wanted to release in November, it's simply because they're trying to cash in on the Christmas market. If they do this, they will get more money in a shorter timer frame, which is what every business wants.

I find it funny that people simply can't wait for two more months. I can't see how they can't just stop focusing on a video game and go do something else. You've all survived this long, two months isn't gonna kill you. To be perfectrly honest, I'm getting sick of the huge amount of people that take all of this so personally. It's like they're epxecting a cure for cancer or something, when in fact it happens to be just a video game.
You know what else is funny...is that a lot of people having been saying the same things they said last year. "Oh, we've waited 5/6 years, we can wait a couple months." "We've waited the past year, we can wait a couple months." "We've waited the past months, we can wait a few more." When will it end? This whole situation is complete bullshit. We all know it, Valve knows it, VU knows it...

For me, I'm tired of caring anymore. With so many games comming out this year, HL2 could release next year and I wouldn't give two shits about it. Either their PR is messed up or they're just weird, this whole ordeal is quite confusing and frustrating. I have yet to see Valve meet a release date they made more than a few weeks before it, so don't listen to what you hear from them or anyone. I'd just tell them not to say shit about any release date, gold date, or anything about RC candidates, because it just adds more fuel to the fire of confusion.

I haven't been following HL2's release as closely as the rest of you guys, but I do know enough that they have screwed up enough for me to stop caring when HL2 would FINALLY release and to accept the fact that HL2 will always be just out of my reach. :dozey:

Valve should just release their goddamn game n everyone will b f cken happy u dumb slu's jus release the game

Gatsu said:
Thing that is pissing me off is that i bought a new ati radeon 9800pro 128 for the end of august release date,i could have ****ing saved up for a 256mb version instead if i new it was coming out in ****ing november.

My friend! The 128Mb edition is better. It has much faster memory and the cards perfomance can't deal with graphic that require 256mb ram.

:)

Another reason to release in November is because The Sims² gets released towards the end of this month, and it is without a doubt going to dominate the sales charts across the globe for several weeks (I hear Maxis are funding the Mars mission with the amount of cash they made off the first games sales, with the sales from the second they are going to buy Australia and paint it entirely mauve... :dozey: ). By releasing in November Half-life² might possibly generate enough initial sales to kick it to the top spot and capture the casual market away from the evil of maxis corp (at least for a week or so).

Yeah but i think it's smarter to realease it before the holidays simply because that way all the hardcore hl gamers will go buy it, it will allready be sold in the millions. And when the holiday season comes in all the dumbasses( by that I mean causual buyers who don't know anything about game apart what they have seen on tv or heard from friends, you know the people who buy movie licensed games, and never read any reviews), will have seen or heard about the game from their hardcore gamer friends and will want to have it themselfes, just because their tiny little brain works that way, even though the sims 2 would be more appropriate for them.

They might as well release it in 2005. Just one month away. from November. Oh wait, by then the game would be outdated.

Its nearer to Christmas. Christmas release = more cash. Who can seriously say, they won't by the game, because its released in November instead of now? no one, and Vivendi know this, they are not stupid.

it doesnt matter when it is released, it will sellout.

If you think VUG hasn't been testing nightly builds of HL2 and helping report bugs to Valve then you're retarded. There's no way in hell that VUG will need a "couple weeks" to "test" Half-Life 2.

This is the most "wanted" game in the past 1.5 years, they will boost up the duplication process, which isn't even that slow to be honest. I don't know where you guys pull out the "2 weeks to make cd's" stuff.

Oh well.

hunteraz said:
If you think VUG hasn't been testing nightly builds of HL2 and helping report bugs to Valve then you're retarded. There's no way in hell that VUG will need a "couple weeks" to "test" Half-Life 2.

This is the most "wanted" game in the past 1.5 years, they will boost up the duplication process, which isn't even that slow to be honest. I don't know where you guys pull out the "2 weeks to make cd's" stuff.

Oh well.

probably because thats the average wait for when games going gold

Well i 'm going to be probably banned for this but here is what we should do if they are really that coldhearted and bastards.
First of all i like to say that I don´t have that much against valve, the game took probably this long because they have a lot of fans and the expectations are higher than for any game realised to date, so not putting al the work they have put in the game would certainly result in enormouse dissapointement.
But if they and VUG do hold the game on purpose out till november only to boost the sales and in that way **** us even more then they allready have we should strike back, but smartly.
Here is how, first of all the thing is that most of us will even buy it even if it comes in november, i´mean lets be honest we will, cause it will be a great game. But wha twe can do is download( ilegaly ) it, then play the single player till lets say januari, and then buy the game. That way the game won´t sell good at first and they will realize that they can´t just screw their fans like this, and they will probably even have to drop the price a little bit to boost the sales. And then when we buy it in januari so we can play online.
I do realize that nobody will probably do this, but still I think its a good idea to show them they can´t screw with us and still menage to play the game and eventually buy it legaly so valve gets their hard earned money and VUG but only not when they expected it.

oh yeah and It really makes no sense to release it in november for the casual gamers, cause when you see what hl2 has to offer it is mainly for the hardcore fans, I´mean counter strike source, it for us the cs fans, the way they made the game real easy to mod, also something for hardcore gamers. Everything about hl2 screems its a real game for the hl fans and not the causuals for who it would make sense to release it in november.

Not the first time i've explained this:

1 - Release too soon = fan buyers only, moderate revenue. Internet warez distribution and foreign imports reduce xmas profits.

2 - Xmas release = fan buyers + xmas gift buyers, maximum profits.

3 - Release after xmas = some fan buyers, adverse publicity and warez majorly reduce profits.

Mr-Fusion said:
What would be an even better marketing decision would be to release the regular edition in October then release a collectors edition in November.

That's not a bad idea, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the plan. Standard release xmas, SE release mid year once all the potential profits start to ramp down.
Worked spectacularly with LOTR - cinema showings at xmas followed by standard DVD mid year followed by Special Edition the following winter. Three revenue streams for just one of 3 movies. Genius. GEEEEEnius.

Why would you get banned for that? I totally agree with, man. They aren't gonna get a huge boost in sales if they release in November because just about everyobdy knows about this game. I don't see any sense behind this whole November thing, it's unofficial. Plus, releasing in October is very close to xmas and they game will still sell a lot.

Back