Why don't you like Steam?

omlette

Reaction score
I'm thinking of writing an article discussing Steam, and I want to hear people's opinions.

People who enjoy it may also post (I'm one of them), but I'd like to hear what's wrong as opposed to what's right.

This has been asked numerous times. I guess you are starving for attention.

My only beef with steam is the whole offline playing mess and the fact patches are not optional.

I do. It has flaws, lots of 'em too, but you can't expect a brand new concept like this to work perfectly when it's still in development.

Valve should however sort that stupid 'Validating HL2 files' bullshit out. Just annoys the paying customers.

Online requirement is probably the only thing that annoys me about Steam. I can't even play HL2 single player unless I'm online.

Because right now as I type this I should be playing single player, but it's validating my files for some retarded reason. I want to download complete update exes off the web to update, not this retarded loading BS to play SP.

Right:
- Provides for instant-action via favorites
- Preloading
- No need to go retail
- Very easy updates, totally automatic

Wrong:
- "Friends" is... well... shit
- Buggy
- Memory errors
- Need internet connection to auth

Overall, Steam is great... if it works.

Edge said:
I guess you are starving for attention.
Sure it's been stated many times, but also in many topics and in many ways. I'm just trying to get a general consensus on why people don't like it. If I was "starving for attention", this topic title would be "HL3 ANNOUNCED WHOAMG" or something of the sorts. I can't stand forum assgoblins who try to ruin every topic by being negative (even though this topic itself is kind of negative by nature :upstare: ).

PvtRyan said:
I do. It has flaws, lots of 'em too, but you can't expect a brand new concept like this to work perfectly when it's still in development.

Valve should however sort that stupid 'Validating HL2 files' bullshit out. Just annoys the paying customers.

nuff said!

omlette said:
Sure it's been stated many times, but also in many topics and in many ways. I'm just trying to get a general consensus on why people don't like it. If I was "starving for attention", this topic title would be "HL3 ANNOUNCED WHOAMG" or something of the sorts. I can't stand forum assgoblins who try to ruin every topic by being negative (even though this topic itself is kind of negative by nature :upstare: ).

Having some issues using the forum features? I wasn't being negative but your ploy is so obvious.
:bounce:

Edge said:
the fact patches are not optional.

Amen to that. The game ran fine, up until the latest patch where I get a funny graphical error whenever I play now. (All light sources seem to have little white boxes superimposed over them.)

If I hadn't been forced to update, I wouldn't have had this problem.

I don't mind automatic updates (it's pretty convienent after all.) But I would like an option to turn them off!

Edge said:
Having some issues using the forum features? I wasn't being negative but your ploy is so obvious.
:bounce:

Honestly, I didn't create this topic for any reason other than hearing why people don't like Steam because I think I might write about it in the not-too-distant future.

No hard feelings though :cheers:

PvtRyan said:

I hear ya on that one. Validating once isn't that enough Gabe? Piracy is going to be around as long as software and games are still being made, might as well get used to it valve. Annoying the hundreds of thousands of paying customers to weed out a couple idiots isn't a good strategy at all. Then there's the patches that if they don't work you have to MANUALLY go into the game and turn it off.

And they REALLY need to fix the friends feature. If the friends network isn't down, it's undergoing maintenence.

I think steams ok, at first it was a hassle, but for it to update my half life, and counter strike without me having to wait in fileplanets queue for 35years, its a bonus! I remember when HL 1.0.1.0 I think came out, it took forever to get it, then there was CS 1.0.0.5 and that was even more of a pain in the arse! I say all in all Steam is ok, has its flaws..but its good for easyness

I don't like having to run another program in the background and I don't like its bugs.

It's waaaay better than it was at first though.

I don't have any real problem with it, its just those that don't have a internet connection I feel for. its like if they were to only release movies on dvd from now on and those people who still run VHS will have to get a dvd player, that may not be the best analogy but, yeah.

plus I had some issues with it in the beginning but i like it now, its convenient (if your not having any problems)

Steam is nice, and finally stable. Friends is my favourite part about it I think, I have nearly 100 people on my friends list, being able to talk and find out where they are playing is awesome. My only real problem is how full of security holes it is, but then again it's a lot better than it was.

It's a great concept: No retail purchases and no tedius upgrades. Everything is done automatically. Its a bit of a disadvantage though for those on slower connections.

Its a bit of a disadvantage though for those on slower connections.
Wrong, im on a slow connection and I am in aboslutly NO WAY disapointed with steam.
Had a rocky start, but after the first month its worked great for me. No flaws, no nothing. It's stable, the friends list is down a bit but..maybe someday that will get sorted through.

But would you rather have this or WON. Not a server browsers but WoN itself and nothing extra. Its favorites system was pure crap. VAC is much more decent that anything WON could pull out of its ass. WON has the..HIDEOUS sound bug.... Plus steam plays soo much better on my 56k than won. I get in games much faster to.

I see alot of people say steam has bugs but no one has ever givin me an actual bug and how it works.... I mean the "Friends" thing is not a bug. Its a feature that goes down alot. That is not a bug though.

Edge said:
My only beef with steam is the whole offline playing mess and the fact patches are not optional.

First of all, this statement somewhat contradicts itself (if offline exists, patches can be avoided, no?)

But, we won't pick on that first part of your statement.

Patches ARE optional! They are now, and always have been with Steam! You just managed to evade the option that lets you disable them! Right-click on the game you don't want updates for, and select "DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE THIS GAME"! That's all you have to do! Think/Explore/Search before you post!

Something I noticed that is kind of odd. I think many reasons there is the "STEAM SUCKS!" vs "Um, what are you talking about? It's fine, relax" things is because of this issue

I compared task manager with a friend to compare steam use (he hates it, has tons of errors, etc)

His idle steam (same conditions, we did it controlled) used a good chunk of his CPU use and 77MB of RAM, runs glitchy and crashes frequently. And he has a better CPU / RAM than I do.

Mine took up 1% CPU use and 12MB of RAM, and runs butter smooth.

Perhaps there is a certain configuration on certain hardware setups that is causing the issues, and if found could fix almost all of them (that'd be cool)

i had no problems with steam whatsoever. I preordered my collectors edition copy and installed it the tuesday of its release. i was playing HL2 in 20 minutes after placing the disk in the drive.

steam is genius. it delevers more than 50% of revenue straight to VALVe, instead of getting only 10% through a retail copy. it also helps prevent piracy.

I like Steam a lot.

-Steam curbs piracy. This means more money for the game maker in the long run and theoretically better games down the road.

-Steam is a small step in the direction of allowing Developers, the people who actually make the games, receive more of the sales revenue. This rewards those who made the game and again, theoretically, means better games down the road (OR means PC gaming wont go bankrupt as the trend has been).

-Steam allows you to download content like new maps and content easily. I played HL2 at 3:20AM EST on the 16th of Nov and HL2DM 1hr after it came out. Gotta love that!

-Steam, if you purchased through Steam, allows you to play w/o a CD in the drive. That way I can keep my BF1942 disc in the CD drive and not have to dance and crawl under my desk.

Steam may have some bugs to work out, but in my book it is a great development for gamers and developers.

STEAM would be nice if you had a ****CHOICE**** to turn it off.

FU VALVE, you communist pigs!!!

Back