Why i bought steam not retail...

I've never used Steam at all and was wondering (I don't have the net hooked up to *my* comp, but I do have dialup and I'll be using that to authorise) after I have authorised my copy does the game run through Steam or does it just run by itself because the impression I got of Steam (don't know what its like nowadays) is that its really dodgy and fiddly.

TaiFong said:
No. This is the digital age. People order online

And with Steam we're taking the digital age a bit further and download the game directly after we paid for it! Isn't that just great?

chriso20 said:
Got pissed off with all the people here making shit threads, so i thought i'd join in lol and as a fair few are related to steam, that's th topic:

I bought steam because:

-I can make mirrors go funny
-and many other things

Please add more if you think of any.
Also any people getting steam by boiling hot water PLEASE try to tell me why boiling hot water is better.

Why the f**k did you buy steam, you would of saved $60 or so, by just boiling hot water you silly nub. *sorry couldn't resist*

bought from steam because...

* No tax
* Cheaper than retail (about $20 bucks cheaper)
* Got heaps of games for my money (silver) wheree i'd normally get 1 (not counting CS).
* VALVe get more money, not those fre....
* I can't wait an extra 3 hours to go to the store (at midnight, by bike) to pick up.

think that's it :)

If it wasn't for the Gold Package, I probably would've gone for a Standard Retail copy and bought the strategy guide. I wouldn't have cared about not being able to play HL2 the minute it's unlocked. A few hours won't make much difference.

But since Gold gives you pretty much everything except the actual game CDs, why not. (Some of it is useless . . . but I wanted the box, soundtrack, guide, and hat.) In the process, I actually get the game a bit sooner and Valve gets all the money. So much the better. :cheers:

I bought retail because it's the cheapest option. I'm not interested in CS, never have been, I'll wait for TF2. I also don't want to play HL again or any of it's mods, I haven't got any use for posters, a hat or any other trivia. You can get more bang for you buck with Steam's extras but a bargain's only a bargain if you want it.

big daz sounds like u should of bought bronze package for 50 dollars !! and whould of been alot cheaper then buying it retail !!! wHOOOoooo hOOOO!!

I wish u wuldnt say ''suport Valve over the money hungry VUG''.

Like you buying off steam and not retail makes anything difference what so ever to VUG, they are paid to make set numbers its not like.

'Oh chris isnt buying retail, so we wont make that retail box, omg were now £34 down, boo hoo.'

Get a grip

Back