Why is Gabe keeping a Tight Lid On The Multiplayer Part?.

Gabe said no coop but they are working closely with the Sven Coop team to help them get it working.

Yeah, I heard Seven Coop already has the SDK? Is that correct?

Simple and only answer.... they want to surprise.

Half-Life 2 multiplayer is really what i'm anticipating the most about it anyway.

I dont think so. Only teams like Day of Defeat and CS who actually work for valve would be using it at the moment.

TF2 is stand alone game. They dont say anything about the HL2 MP. Which leads me to belive that it will just be a basic MP that will be fun but not anything earth shattering. Really the reason valve are promoting the Mod scene is because that is their mp really.

And thank the lord it is.

sven coop is bleh, I love Co-op dont get me wrong, in fact I recently bought a comp for my lil bro and hooked em together on a network for that very reason.

... but sven coop was severly lacking
I would have prefered just co-op single player mode for hl2.

So with that, can i play half life 2 single player with my friend in another state just me and him on the default levels? Why does that require an entire mod team. Cant they just let another person be there with you kind of thing.

What's lacking about sven co-op? There are a lot of bad maps on server rotations, but... it's co-op. It does what it does (let you play the game with a friend) and better (better AI, all the monsters, friendly monsters, etc.)

7 player co-op was announced? If so, that's cool. Co-op is superb, if done well.

for all you people who think TFC was the first of the teamfortresses, you're wrong. TeamFortress 1 was for Quake 1, as a mod. They were going to make it for Quake 2, but John Carmack wanted them to pay him for use of the engine. Because he knew tf was extremely popular ( Think of it as todays counter-strike)

Then they got an offer from valve to hire them, who would say no? Then half-life 1 was release, then tfc was released as a mod. There will be no, "TFC2" . There will be a teamfortress 2. TFC cannot even shed a light to how great tf1 was. TFC is a joke compared to tf1.

7 player co-op was announced?

Heh. :)

Anyways.

TFC was easily better than TF, though I certainly loved it was well. Better models, better maps, better interface, better "feel" to everything. NeoTf is pretty fun too.

I played TFC once, when i was bored.

Seemed really dodge, like an unfinished mod like Tour of Duty or something. Im sure it was fun back when. I started Half life MP on CS and DOD, never really got into the earlier mods for Half life.

Originally posted by Apos
Heh. :)

Anyways.

TFC was easily better than TF, though I certainly loved it was well. Better models, better maps, better interface, better "feel" to everything. NeoTf is pretty fun too.

That supposed to mean yes?

I know what I read is this "STEWART: Finally, will there be a co-operative mode? (I'm probably pushing my luck here, since you said you want to keep the multiplayer side of HL2 a big secret... but hey... you can't blame me for trying...)

GABE: We aren't doing a cooperative mode, but a couple of MOD teams want to do one so we'll work with one of them."

But are you saying otherwise? Or am I mistaken on what you said?

Originally posted by Lifthz
That supposed to mean yes?

I know what I read is this "STEWART: Finally, will there be a co-operative mode? (I'm probably pushing my luck here, since you said you want to keep the multiplayer side of HL2 a big secret... but hey... you can't blame me for trying...)

GABE: We aren't doing a cooperative mode, but a couple of MOD teams want to do one so we'll work with one of them."

But are you saying otherwise? Or am I mistaken on what you said?

Yeah there was an official announcement. I'm not sure how many players though.

Originally posted by Lifthz
I hate official announcements without links. :)

Hehe, of course you do. :)

http://www.svencoop.com/

WAIKIKAMUKAU--July 2, 2003--The SvenCo-op Team announced today that Sven Co-op for Half-Life 2, sequel to the popular Half-Life co-operative modification, is currently in late planning stages. Valve Software, creators of Half-Life and its upcoming sequel, have recently expressed interest in helping the SvenCo-op team following the release of Half-Life 2.

“The team and I are currently working to finish the project design so we can immediately push forward once we get our hands on the SDK“ said Sven Viking, SC Team Leader. “We really feel that with Half-Life 2, we will be able to take co-operative gameplay to the next level.”

Sven Co-op, the original Half-Life co-operative mod, is currently the most popular co-operative modification in the world, with over 100,000 recorded downloads of the v2.0F installer.

Sven Co-op for Half-Life 2 will benefit not only from Half-Life 2’s highly advanced engine, greater volume of content and extensive feature set, but also from new and innovative gameplay resulting from four years of experience with the genre. Among the new features will be the ability for mapmakers to create their own game modes, and features to make gameplay more rewarding.

Work on Sven Co-op for Half-Life 2 will not impact the development of Sven Co-op 3.0 or the They Hunger Co-op conversion. Watch www.svencoop.com for news of these projects in the near future.

A long while back the team fortress team were working on a version using the original unreal tournament mod, I think I even saw a partial beta. Anyone else remember this and did it ever get finished?

Personally, as long as the singleplayer part of HL2 delivers, I'm happy, the multiplayer will be one awesome bonus. I hope. :)

i'm the same way, but coop isnt coop without playing through the single player campaign.. if sven for HL2 is just friends vs antlions it'll be cool but prolly wont hold my time over deathmatch. i really want to play the single player campaign with a friend... hell let the friend play as alex even or D.O.G.

Hmm... that mod team any good? I'd prefer Valve doing their own co-op. But what the hell.... whatever, as long as it's good.

The multiplayer part is all i looking forward to. Sven Co-op will be so sweet. **** SP. ;)

This is completely out there and probably an illogical idea, but I figure since the world of HL2 is supposed to be so big and multiplayer is being kept a deep dark secret that there is a chance of the slight possibility that maybe they might create some sort of MMOFPS. Think Planetside killer. Not sure if that's even possible, but you have to admit it would be cool as cold fusion.

This is my theroy to the Half Life 2 Multiplayer you will probably have a chance to control a Strider and use all its ability's and so and so and also mabey you can play combine vs the monsters?.

I hop the multi will feature the using of cars, and cars v cars.

of course there will be cars and such and such but I hope there will be controllable Striders!!!!!!.

I'm like 100% sure (... minus a few percentage points here and there) that it'll be CS2 that gets released with HL2.
This secret cs-related project is kind of a funny way of putting it in my opinion

love the hot potatoe idea mate. I'm up for that anyday :D
Any who ever said single player first is exactly right to me. I'll be hammering on valve's new ai before I go against real people, thats for sure.

ok ppl first of all, allot of bs in this post, 50% here has not been confirmed or has been said differently by Gabe or any other Valve employee, now back top the topic

i also think that in some way the engine was build to make sure the MP would benefit of it, i mean why do you need really BIG maps like that in an SP mission? to show off? to drive to A to B in 15 mins? nah thats all mp, and i think you can say the same about that camera thingie in the E3 vid, i mean imagine how many cool tricks we will be able to pull of simply by using Hammer!! imo we will be amazed

Back