Why is no one talking about this?

S

Sp00kyb0y

Planet Halflife:

Half-life 2 Street Date Broken? Comment!
11/11/2004 14:34 PST | Half-Life 2 | by Pratt
Our sister site Voodoo Extreme is reporting of several rumoured pre-release purchases of Half-Life 2:
DRaG0nBLaD3 from the Rage3D forums acquired the game from a branch of B&M, plus he has the photos to prove it. Several other users on the Steam forums have also claimed to have bought the game, although the discussion there is far less informative, or in English. However, DRaG0nBLaD3 is unable to play the game as it is locked on Valve's servers, although Valve previously promised to unlock the game for everyone should the street date be broken.

Link

We already have. It can't play it though, HA!

So far, so good.

But they said if the street date was broken they would unlock it.. and dont tell me its not broken it is... they never said if the majority would break they would unlock it.. just that if broken they would so it looks to me its broken.

Oh crap, of course you did. Man I am always late.

Do you think they will unlock now that the street date has been broken, or do you think it will take more sales to do so?

Sp00ky

You cant play untill it gets unlocked. There were 3 different threads on that yesterday.

It won't be unlocked early. As far as I know, the whole "we'll unlock HL2 if it gets released early accidentally" thing was just a rumor...I have yet to see a legitimate post or quote from a Valve source confirming it. It's just been around for so long that it's gained the reputation as a fact.

Well, I guess I'm just surprised that this is not a hotter topic, and at the top of the forum threads.

I don't spend everyday on the forum and I would think people would be getting more excited about the fact that more sale will probably happen over the weekend and Valve may unlock their steam accounts.

Im only hopping good things for people that bought from steam.

Sp00ky

Please, quit ****ing talk about this stupid shit -- and EVERYONE's been talking about it.

Copies being sold early is insignificant...they can't play the damn game until it's activated...nobody outside of valve will play the game until it's activated on the 16th PST.

Finally, yes, Valve employees have mentioned that if the game was sold earlier than the 16th, steam buyers would get their copies activated then. 1) I don't specifically recall an instance anyone ever using the phrase "street date broken," but 2) IF they had, this wouldn't apply to one or two idiot employees of shotty-run stores selling the copy early -- this statement was meant that if either a) Vivendi started to sell early, or b) ENOUGH stores sold the game early (which has never happened), then they'd activate the game for the steam buyers.

I repeat: this statement was never to imply that steam copies would be activated at the first idiot employee to sell a HL2 copy early, it's just basically a if-the-game-is-released-early-we'll-unlock-it-for-steam-buyers clause.

So quit ****ing whining about it.

OK quick summary of whats been happening:
Some stores in places have broken the street date rule, a few people bought HL2 and installed it on their system but they were not able to play it because it hasn't been activated yet.
Once the higher ups in the stores found out about the broken street release apparently the manager of the store and 6 employees were fired, the people who bought the game were contacted and were told that if they return their copies they will recieve 50% off when they buy it again (the copies sold will be labelled defective and no longer sold), so far all except 1 out of the 8 (around) have been contacted and their copies returned.
Thus HL2 is still set to be released on the 16th.

Raziel-Jcd said:
You cant play untill it gets unlocked. There were 3 different threads on that yesterday.

when you say "3 threads", you mean "333 threads", right? :cheese:

lifebringer said:
... b) ENOUGH stores sold the game early (which has never happened), then they'd activate the game for the steam buyers...

Define “ENOUGH” …
Bah would be sweet to unlock it today and give us the weekend to play. What’s with releasing it Tuesday anyway. That’s lame imo.

lifebringer said:
So quit ****ing whining about it.

Don't think anyone is whining about it.

I did not buy steam package so really this does not affect me either way.

To change the Topic...

What is with the ugly CD labels they used on the retail version?

Can we talk about that, or is there 300 post already? I'm sure you will tell me.

sp00ky

BlackMesaDude said:
But they said if the street date was broken they would unlock it.. and dont tell me its not broken it is... they never said if the majority would break they would unlock it.. just that if broken they would so it looks to me its broken.

Everyone is taking a ShackNews quote and somehow turning it into a Valve quote.

EDIT: Hey look, here's a thread about the very subject.

Robinhood_01 said:
the people who bought the game were contacted and were told that if they return their copies they will recieve 50% off when they buy it again (the copies sold will be labelled defective and no longer sold)

Seems like a two for one, unless Valve deactivates the steam account created by people who bought retail early, which more likely than not will not happen soon.

imo...SPAM VALVE, SPAM VALVE, SPAM VALVE :D... just a thought

I wish they would unlock it before the weekend so fans can actually have time to play and not have to worry about work the next day.

Back