Why is RDRAM so expensive?

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've decided that some time soon Im going to upgrade my graphics card and ram, especially for Halflife 2. Unfortunately, I've just found out that my dell Dimension 8200 came with pc800 RDRAM, instead off the usuall DDR that most computers have.
Everywher I look though, RDRAM seems to be rare and expensive (at least 90 dollars for only 256 MB) and it needs to be in pairs to work. Does anyone know if this is some sort of special high-end RAM, or is it actually older? And if anyone has seen some good prices for it, that would be great. Thanks!

Pre-built pcs arent really meant to be upgraded, Dell wants you to buy a whole new PC instead of just a small part. Normal DDR400 PC3200 should be todays standard for sane people.

Yes, this means you'll want to get a ne... Wait a second, nearly 500 posts and you dont know all this stuff? ;P

well, I have 2 extra Memory slots and a PCI or 2 as well. What you talking about ;-)

ALSO: is it possible for me to switch my memory to normal memory or is my mobo probably DIMM RDRAM only?

no if you have just rambus slots, you will not be able to use ddr ram.

rambus is... "better" than ddr ram, though the technology isnt very supported, so its rare.

Rambus is a proprietary type of memory invented by Rambus.
It was considered a "revolutionary" type of memory back then, partly because it was a completely different memory architecture.

DDR was cheaper and pushed by AMD while Intel licensed and pushed Rambus memory.
DDR took hold and became even faster as they rolled out DDR333 and DDR400.

It's expensive not only because it's proprietary but because it's 'old' memory. What I mean by that is current that the public buys do not include Rambus, just like they do not include PC100 SDRAM. This means the price is high and it is rare. ;)
GG Intel/Dell

I know Compusa sells 1 kit of RIMMs, 2x128MB or I should say a PC800 256MB KIT for about $140.

I know what you're going through, as I have a Dell Dimension 8200 as well, and recently upgrade my RAM and graphics card. So I can tell you for sure what will work:

1.) I installed an ATI branded Radeon 9800 Pro, and it works well. The installation went smoothly. There isn't really enough venilation though, so I'm a bit woried about overheating.

2.) I installed Simpletech PC800 RDRAM, in two 128 MB sticks. That also worked. You need to make sure its latency is 40 ns, NOT 45 ns. Also don't get ECC. Click here. You can see my reader review at the top. :)

okay yeah Im actually getting a 9800 pro, too. Probably Sapphire. Ill need to start savin lots for that mem though... Thanks 4 the info all!

Cyber$nake, I used to be in the same position you're in. I had a Dell precision 330 that I wanted to upgrade, but I found out that I had those damned rambus dimms. I actually just ended up building a new computer because it would have cost so much to upgrade the old one. My recommendation would be this: to hell with rambus memory upgrades, they're a waste of money. Save that money and put it towards buying parts for a new computer ... and go AMD this time :)

EDIT: before you buy your 9800 pro, check out this link: http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=1

It says that the Sapphire ones you CAN flash to XT speeds... just make sure you get the right core. If you can get a free performance boost just by getting the right card, why the hell not?

I have a demension 8250 mobo that only accepts RDRAM also.. I going to buy a rdram set but I ended up thinking that I wouldn't use this ram ever again not to mention it being really expensive(I wanted at least a gig of ram). So today I'm going to build a whole new computer with ocz's ram and maybe in the future if i upgrade my new computer i can use that ram again. I know I won't be able to use rdram again because it'll be totally non-existant...

DreamThrall said:
Cyber$nake, I used to be in the same position you're in. I had a Dell precision 330 that I wanted to upgrade, but I found out that I had those damned rambus dimms. I actually just ended up building a new computer because it would have cost so much to upgrade the old one. My recommendation would be this: to hell with rambus memory upgrades, they're a waste of money. Save that money and put it towards buying parts for a new computer ... and go AMD this time :)

EDIT: before you buy your 9800 pro, check out this link: http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=1

It says that the Sapphire ones you CAN flash to XT speeds... just make sure you get the right core. If you can get a free performance boost just by getting the right card, why the hell not?

Thanks much! I may consider that. That saves you quite a few bucks. Back to newegg :)

Back