why no css offline?

don_johnson

Reaction score
ok, why cant you play css offline? i mean i dont understand what the problem is? css now has bots, and if soemone wanted to play css and didnt have an internet connection now they could. wrong, because for some reason you cant play css offline. why would they make bots if you cant play offline? if people had the internet why would they waste thier time playing with bots? i jsut think its stupid to make the game unavailable offline when it is possible for people to actually play css without the internet. or is this jsut me, or cant anybody else paly it offline? thanks

You can play CSS offline I play it with bots all the time. You need to have your game completely patched (to the newest update) then it will allow you to start steam in offline mode and play it offline.

I think what he means is why can't we play cs with bots WITHOUT logging into steam. I have to admit that it's pretty damn ****ed up that you need to LOG ON TO THE INTERNET (steam) just to play single player games. What if a person has no internet? How would you play HL2? Or css with bots?

THUGENSTEIN said:
I think what he means is why can't we play cs with bots WITHOUT logging into steam. I have to admit that it's pretty damn ****ed up that you need to LOG ON TO THE INTERNET (steam) just to play single player games. What if a person has no internet? How would you play HL2? Or css with bots?

I have the same problem. I hope theres a way around this other than the obvious unmentionable :borg:

THUGENSTEIN said:

CSS is not a single player game. Bots are made for filling servers, getting people to join etc.. They are NOT made to be your singleplayer bitches (aside from CZ). It is a coincidence that bots DO work well for those of you who find fun in playing bots all day, but CSS is a multiplayer only game. Notice how you have to make your own SERVER to play bots.

THUGENSTEIN said:
What if a person has no internet? How would you play HL2? Or css with bots?
If the person had no internet, he would have no HL2 or CS:S, for that matter. Valve made a stupid moved by making you download Steam and get online to use their product. :|

ray_MAN said:
If the person had no internet, he would have no HL2 or CS:S, for that matter. Valve made a stupid moved by making you download Steam and get online to use their product. :|

No VALVe made one of the smartest moves in history, the stupid move was by those who bought HL2 when they had no internet.

I second DreadLord1337. Steam is an awesome program and I don't know why everyone always wants to bash it.

i used to be able to play halflife2 in offline mode, but when i tried to play ANY game (hl2,dod,cs:source,cs1.6, or ANY third party game), it gave me an error message saying that this operation cannot be completed in offline mode. does anyone else get this problem, or how can i fix it...i used to be able to run hl2 in offline mode about a week or two ago, which was before the update.

DreadLord1337 said:
CSS is not a single player game. Bots are made for filling servers, getting people to join etc.. They are NOT made to be your singleplayer bitches (aside from CZ). It is a coincidence that bots DO work well for those of you who find fun in playing bots all day, but CSS is a multiplayer only game. Notice how you have to make your own SERVER to play bots.

People use the bots to play their custom maps...

My friend can't play Steam in offline mode... though I forgot unplugging his net cable, that's probably why. But I have zero problems playing HL2 and CS:S in offline mode... and the net cable is plugged in.

Worth mentioning is he bought the retail and installed from CD. I already had steam and just typed in the CD key and I had it preloaded.

The problem I have with steam is that I can only get dialup where I live so it was a major pain in the butt trying to get HL2 to run. I had to leave my modem running for 2 days to get the downloads I needed just to play. :angry:

I bought the game knowing I needed an internet connection to register but I didn't know(because it wasn't on the box) that I had to download a ton of files just to be able to play ANYTHING. :angry:

Now that everything is updated I play CSS offline about every night. :thumbs:

ok well i ran steam today after a reinstallation and it still didnt work in offline mode, but when i tried it a few hours later, css and hl2 worked in offline mode. i have no clue why or how, but it did

Works fine here, love playing against bots at school where the Steam master server can't be found.

I personally think that the fact steam needs to connect to internet is great... it reduces pirate versions from spreading :)

It downloads updates in the background so when it finished updating you could play it in offline mode.

uNsaiN said:
I second DreadLord1337. Steam is an awesome program and I don't know why everyone always wants to bash it.
Beacuse it is slow, lags you up, when your net is going slow it takes forever to login, games myseteriously go unavaliable and you need to delete clientregistry. You then need to wait 2 hours for Steam to re-patch itself even though it's already on the latest patch. Games continue to update even while you are playing one sometimes. Offline mode makes some games unavaliable even when fully patched, offline mode doesn't even load sometimes, steam validates your steam id even when connecting to lan servers, random program crashes, unresponsive dialogs, takes forever to load your steam games into the my games list sometimes, updates games which you haven't set to auto keep up to date somtimes.

TrippyG said:
I personally think that the fact steam needs to connect to internet is great... it reduces pirate versions from spreading :)
Pirate version of Half-Life 2 was released within the week of the offical release and the pirates got to play it before the people who bought it beacuse they were forced to keep retrying and getting the "Could not activate. Please try again later" and steam content server errors. The non-steam pirate version of CSS has had bots since the very first release and the latest update is nothing new for them. You could even use netplay on the pirate version until the latest bot update.

There seems to be a lot of hoopala about all this even though an internet connection is a system requirement for the game (on the box, "Internet Connection Required"), just like a mouse, keyboard, etc. It should be no surprise that you might need the internet to play, even if you don't want to....

What do u have to...

wat do u have to DL to play with bots on CSS off line i been lookin around but now i am tryerd so plz tell me wat to do or DL to play with bots offline or there a code to it:dozey:

You can play CSS offline I play it with bots all the time. You need to have your game completely patched (to the newest update) then it will allow you to start steam in offline mode and play it offline.
um can u tell me how to play with bots for css tell me wat to do or dl

Congrats for the searching, but common sense dictates the poster you're referring to will never rad this thread again.

If you own a copy of CSS, then you can play it offline with bots by clicking "Create server" when CSS is open.

If you don't own CSS, buy it, then follow the steps above.

How did you get CSS without the internet anyway? :S

?

When I got it I had to go on Steam to verify it even thought it was already installed :S

guys if its lagging or you dont have a fast connection. what does that tell you????? UPGRADE ALREADY!!! steam barely takes any resources at all.

if ur trying to use technology like playing css, and u dont have the technology called internet yet...then ur trying step 3 when u havnt done step 2 yet.....

here are my steps just so u know
1. get pc
2. get internet
3. play games

hoep this helps, now stop skipping steps and complaining about it

I don't get why you bought an online fps and expect to play it offline lol.

wow. i honestly made this topic like a year ago. i hadnt remembered it until i was randomly browsing the css forum. why is this topic still active? i read my first post and realized that it was incredibly idiotic. i apologize.

im on both sides of this argument
one side: my cousin doesnt own css. he dls with my account then we play offline with bots have some fun, delete css.

other side: i <3 steam and f*** valve and having to wait till they can release episode 2 on CD/DVD instead of online ASAP and get CD/DVD out later when they can.

Back