Why so many bad rock songs about girls?

Reaction score
Anyone else noticed that every recent "rock" band around nowadays seem to have these generic singles about girls. There's so much more in the world to write about, so I wish they'd quit it with the boring songs about girls who probably don't even exist.

Rock bands today have absolutely nothing to say, and that's why 99% of them suck donkey balls.

Not just rock bands either. Two recent singers that have become popular, Paolo Nutini - Last Resort and James Morrison - You Give Me Something are more generic songs about girls. Boring. The Kooks and Razorlight also have these kind of generic songs. Snow Patrol's latest song could well be about a girl too.

I'm not saying songs about girls are necessarily a bad thing, since Pearl Jam - Black is a great song, but it has good lyrics with metaphors unlike the tripe nowadays.

Girls have boobies
I take them to the movies
And I look at them

Their ovaries are nice
I would like a slice
Of that sweet honeyed poon

She will work in the kitchen
And make me some chicken
Because I had a ****ing long hard day at work and you'd have to be a retarded bitch if you think I'm gonna slave away in that godforsaken shithole you call a kitchen just so I can eat a god damn meal after hauling ass all day long and bringing home the bacon just so you can waste your ****ing time shopping and having wine night with your ****ing doggish friends

Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex

Girls have boobies
And I look at them

Their ovaries are nice
I would like a slice

And make me some chicken
Because I had a ****ing long hard day at work and you'd have to be a retarded bitch if you think I'm gonna slave away in that godforsaken shithole you call a kitchen just so I can eat a god damn meal after hauling ass all day long and bringing home the bacon just so you can waste your ****ing time shopping and having wine night with your ****ing doggish friends

Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex

thats the worst thing ive ever heard.

I totally agree with the original poster.

however, it has a very simple explanation: songs about love and girls are very easily accessible and easily understood by the average ****ing idiot who happens to hear the crap on the radio, and thus is the esiest way to market an artist..

i dislike music with lyrics in general because it's usually really damn obtrusive, not really giving you space to think yourself

if there was a song with lyrics that i'd like, it has to be in 7/12 signature and must be something I can relate to..

like this:

I have one love, and that is..

BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS BOOBS

She has a face to die for,
But nothing going on inside,
She'll never make your eyes sore,
Until she starts to speak her mind.

So I'll just try to keep the conversation right,
Then in the morning at the door I'll give a kiss goodbye.

Nothing wrong with that it's only one night and nothing else,
Everytime I tell myself it's the last time.
One day I'll retire, just not tonight.

Now, I'm not being ignorant,
Just that some things tend to slip my mind,
Like where she buys her tan from,
And the colour of the hair she dyes.

Now I'm not being mean, in fact I'm being quite polite,
All I'm trying to say is that you won't catch her on mastermind.

Nothing wrong with that it's only one night and nothing else,
Everytime I tell myself it's the last time.
One day I'll retire, just not tonight.

I feel your pain OP. I too long for the days when songs were about polotics and society.

arn't all country songs about girls in one way or another, they always seem to be whining about them too

Don't be dissing country. I'll slice and dice ya.

Classics mind you, none of this modern country bullshit ;)

There's plenty of bands that have sing about politics and society. There's plenty of bands that even sing about girls (or guys) with original lyrics. Belle & Sebastian and Camera Obscura come to mind.

It's because people write about what gives them emotional pull, be it happy, or unhappy. As love can and does do both, it's a common strong emotion that people use to create music.

And why they're bad? well most people suck at writing lyrics.

Welcome to mainstream!

It's either a rock song about girls, or a hip-hop song about many girls.

Meh, I don't care for any of these new bands comming out. I listen to the 70's and 80's rock and metal bands.

I feel your pain OP. I too long for the days when songs were about polotics and society.
6768520.jpg

:|

Edit - Blah, why do the [ img ] tags randomly decide not to work?

Songwriters often write about things they feel strongly about.

Is there a stronger feeling than love?

The need to pee?

For a while, it seemed as if the mainstream rock scene was shifting away from the "Let's make three records devoted to love songs!" mindset. But now they're back.

Probably for the best. Mainstream rock was drifting toward the "I hate my life" mindset.

Actually, that's the problem today...too many people hopping on the "I hate politics!" bandwagon...

Anyway, About a Girl by Nirvana ftw.

It's because A) They can't think of anything else of sing about (that's why the 60's and 70's rain, there was so much more variation in song subjects) and B) They're appealing to the lowest common denominator. Love songs are popular, especially with girls. If you sing a song about something important like social injustice you run the risk of narrowing your market, because a lot of people don't like songs that require you to think. It makes them sleepy.

That isn't the de-facto reason. It might just be that songs about girls are easy to write (which they generally are, especially bad ones). Popular music nowadays only explores a very narrow range of emotions, and they've been over-explored imo.

Where's the modern day equivalent of Bob Dylan god dammit?

Where's the modern day equivalent of Bob Dylan god dammit?

His name is Chris Daily. Rember that name, you'll hear about him someday ;)

I swear to god that man is Bob Dylan reincarnated. He doesn't sing like Dylan, but his song-writing style and playing ability are very similar.

His name is Chris Daily. Rember that name, you'll hear about him someday ;)

I swear to god that man is Bob Dylan reincarnated. He doesn't sing like Dylan, but his song-writing style and playing ability are very similar.

what's so difficult about doing your own thing?

ah i see, thought it was just a blatant ripoff thing. sounds interesting by the way!

wow, crazy, I have been listening to the songs on your myspace and that is some really awesome electonica!

What programs do you use, btw?

arn't all country songs about girls in one way or another, they always seem to be whining about them too

dont forget whisky drinking, wife cheating/beating, horse wrastl'ing, cousin stealing, hurting songs <- dem's my favourites :farmer:

wow, crazy, I have been listening to the songs on your myspace and that is some really awesome electonica!

What programs do you use, btw?

Thanks man, I'm really flattered!
ableton live, reaktor, max/msp and reason

To what extent does Max/MSP factor into your music?

Once I was talking to this moving-truck driver guy, and we were talking about country music (I can't remember why). He said, "I don't like country music. All they seem to do is whine about how the wife left them and took the kids and dog. ...Isn't that a good thing?"

Girls have boobies
And I look at them

Their ovaries are nice
I would like a slice

And make me some chicken

Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex

Once I was talking to this moving-truck driver guy, and we were talking about country music (I can't remember why). He said, "I don't like country music. All they seem to do is whine about how the wife left them and took the kids and dog. ...Isn't that a good thing?"

That's what the classics are about :D.

To what extent does Max/MSP factor into your music?

really basic sounds and stuff, i'm crap at it.. i don't use it for alot of tracks but i'm experimenting alot with it and follow tutorials etc

Girls have boobies
And I look at them

Their ovaries are nice
I would like a slice

And make me some chicken

Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex sex sex sex sex
Sex
Lol, freaking awesome. :cheers:

Back