Why valve?

Gronoken

Reaction score
Why did the Half Life 2 Devs called the game company Valve? I mean whats a Valve? its a little wheel that you use to turn water off/on in a plumbing station. I mean why the name is Valve? And in HL 1 when the Valve thing comes up that weird looking guy has a Red Valve on his eye and the other eye is normal. What kind of a sign is Valve? Sometimes they creep me out lol

How random can you be. :p

Why call it Monolith? Rockstar? id? Dice?

It means nothing! Hehe this is just making me laugh.

:cheers: They call it Valve, because they twist the games, and when they do a strong force of water comes out!

oh, thanks for solving the mystery Ailevation :p

i heard the origin of the name before, i can't remember what it was or where i found it. try searching valve's site?

wouldn't it be cool if you turned a valve on, and out came....STEAM!!!!!!

Because like most valves, they'll eventually stick and nothing will come out of them for a long time.

Valve-steam
things relationed to fontanery
the next thing will be called Pipe

valve's are for controlling the flow of something. .. so id guess the idea behind the name for the company would of had something to do with that and the one word simplicity of it.

that metaphorical valve has always been a bit 'slip'pery though :p

<RJMC> said:
Valve-steam
things relationed to fontanery
the next thing will be called Pipe
rofl!
I would personally love to see an application called "PCV"

Because Valve is a hell of a lot easier to spell than Spiel-Entwickler :p

Because "Magic Hats" isnt a good name for a game company?

Becouse... they. liked the funky picture?

Sorry, the only company name I understand is Lionhead, becouse it said why it's called that on G4 tv.

They called themselves Valve because We Hate Gronoken was already taken.

Because a guy had a bunch of cool stock pictures of guys with valves in their heads.

That's what Gabe said in an interview.

they originally were going to call themselves "Who's your daddy?" but wanted something shorter :p

Gronoken please read up on a subject before you ask these random simple to answer crappy questions.

nw909 said:
Because a guy had a bunch of cool stock pictures of guys with valves in their heads.

best answer. EVAR! :LOL:

They baught those weird pictures to some guy.

200 POST!!!!

yeah i read it had to do
*foggy memory here*
with the pictures that they bought with the valve's in peoples heads. and there was some otehr story but its lost on me.
read it somewhere.

nw909 said:

Heh. Valve is brutal they piped humans in the photo shoot! :O

vegeta897 said:
How random can you be. :p

Why call it Monolith? Rockstar? id? Dice?

It means nothing! Hehe this is just making me laugh.

Wooo! Rockstar (north) rule!

cos their scottish! thats why whenever you pay attention in GTA VC you see a lot of Scottish easter eggs.... The Band The shop windows with airplane tickets from VC to Edingburgh!

:bounce:

Why???

Because Valve's can be 'Leaky' :O And steam also comes from a 'Leaky' valve...as well stolen game code ......

sweet joke...

I didn't know that Rockstar North were scots...it would explain their random violence and aggressive gameplay.
As well as giving meaning to the fact they always have quirky engines that are unreliable when introduced to other platforms.
Plus they're drunks.

Back