Why we won't learn anything important about HL in Portal 2

Durango Doug

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new here but have been following the site for quite awhile.

Most gaming sites that have found all the Portal 2 acheievements have claimed that finding the missing experiment means we will either learn more about the borealias, visit it, discover whats inside, why it vanished, etc. But I did some searching online and wiki-ed the borealias hl page and figured whats most likely to happen is we will visit the remaining parts of the loading dock that didnt vanish with the boralias. From the art pictures they teased quite awhile back it only seems like some of the dockleft with the borealias...meaning to get the achievement we look at the half that stayed...get a whitty comment from one of the AI bots thats with us and then we leave.

Just warning everyone to not get your hopes up.:upstare:

http://ca.kotaku.com/5781121/valve-...with-a-surprise-keep-gordon-freeman-out-of-it

First off, don't trust the overwiki, they put in so much crap its hilarious. Why do you think that we'll visit just the dock that didn't vanish? Why not the whole ship? I see no evidence against the latter possibility.

And thanks for the article, I kinda hoped that portal happened before hl1 but oh well.

Thanks for the heads up. Do you work for VALVe or something?

yeah I agree with you on the combine wiki not being to realiable. However I checked the details of getting the achievement beforehand, knowing Valve, and how Portal 2 is gonna be set inside the lab AND how Valve wants to seperate HL and portal it doesnt make sense to leave the lab and go to the Borealias.

Plus if valve said they want to keep the hl references minor so non-hl players can play and not feel left out it seems pointless to go there. Small minor teases seems valves way if you ask me.

And no I wish I worked at valve it would be a dream job. Maybe you could pass the word and help me. :upstare:

My theory on this achievement varies with every post I read. With this one, if the wiki propoganda was true, then why were parts of the ship left behind? Was the ship teleported away in a hasty escape, or even attempted to be taken in to Xen?

The ship was 'lost' by Aperture who had been looking for it. They never did find it, but the Combine did. On the basis that it was lost there are many possibilities of how that happened. The ship could have teleported to a random location or the ship used to voyage around the world and was lost at sea, swept into the Arctic circle and frozen into a glacier. Impossible to say.

I don't see any reason for it needing to be teleported to Xen which was used as a border world for teleportation. One of the few things Aperture didn't need was this tech or Xen as their portalling technology filled that requirement. Which is also the reason the Combine want to get to the Borealis.

Valve have said it twice now - the connection between the two won't be much so I don't expect these answers in Portal 2.

Doesn't Judith say "I'm fairly sure I've pinned down the location of the project [Borealis] ... that could compromise our work if it were discovered by the Combine ... I'm gonna cut this short, we may have been spotted."

I always took this to mean Judith and The Combine were in some sort of rivalry, in locating The Borealis first. Have I been wrong this entire time?

Back