Why won't it stop!!!

Warped

Reaction score
the ringing that is, i went to a concert and of course this happens everytime but I don't want to be a douchbag and wear earmuffs or ear plugs. Also I noticed I get this even after the concert is over if there are no noises....which is why I think I sleep with a fan because I can't stand the noise of nothing if you've ever heard it. read this tidbit:

How to Stop Ears Ringing After a Concert

Overview

Many live concerts use powerful speakers that transmit the music at extremely high volumes. Music that is too loud can cause damage to your ears, which often manifests itself as a ringing sensation (a condition known as tinnitus). Tinnitus can be temporary or permanent, though the majority of cases of tinnitus after a concert are temporary and will go away on their own.
Step 1

Protect your ears. When your ears are ringing after a concert, you have some hearing loss (which may be permanent or temporary) and your ears are sensitive. Avoid loud noises while your ears are ringing to avoid compounding the damage. Consider wearing earplugs or protective headphones to provide additional protection while your ears recover. Wear them when possible, especially if you will be around loud noises, when possible until the ringing goes away.
Step 2

Avoid tobacco, alcohol and aspirin. These will exacerbate the ringing sensation. Tobacco contains nicotine, which narrows the blood vessels. Narrowing of the blood vessels can stimulate the nerve cells in the air, leading to them thinking that they are interpreting a sound, causing ringing in your ears. Alcohol consumption puts alcohol into your blood, which can also cause stimulation of these nerve cells. Finally, high doses of aspirin can also lead to tinnitus. If you are experiencing pain, such as a headache, consider taking acetaminophen or ibuprofen instead.
Step 3

Use sound maskers. Sound maskers emit low-volume white noise. This helps distract the auditory processing part of your brain, making it easier to ignore the ringing in your ears. While this won't actually stop the ringing in your ears, it will make it less noticeable until the ringing goes away on its own. Listen to radio or television static at a low volume or place a small fan near your pillow while you sleep. These steps will "mask" the ringing in your ears, making the sound easier to ignore until it goes away.
Step 4

Take alprazolam (Xanax) or acamprosate (Campral). Both of these medications can be used to relieve tinnitus, although they should only be used for severe ringing in your ears, as they can cause other side effects. Alprazolam, for example, can be habit forming and can also cause drowsiness, depression and trouble in concentrating and speaking. Acamprosate can cause sadness and depression. It also will make you sick if you consume alcohol while using it.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/52533-stop-ears-ringing-after-concert/

holy shit though:

Can we make the ringing stop?
f4_art_small.gif

"I remember waking up on the morning of April 12, 1994, with a high-pitched squealing in my ears," says a 56-year-old Buffalo businessman. "I thought it was the microwave going off downstairs, but I wasn't able to find the sound anywhere. Ultimately, I went into a state of depression and couldn't even work. I have spent the last four years looking for help, but I have been told this is something I'll have to learn to live with because there is no known treatment."

His problem is tinnitus, the false perception of sound in the absence of an external stimulus. More commonly known as ringing in the ears, tinnitus actually encompasses a wide range of symptoms, including buzzing, roaring, whistling, hissing, high-pitched screeching, or other sounds, according to the American Tinnitus Association. Many people experience occasional episodes of transient tinnitus – a few moments of screeching or squealing in the head that stops as suddenly as it starts. But about 15 million Americans (including 10 percent of all elderly Americans) suffer from tinnitus that never stops. In rare cases the affliction can be so maddening that it drives its victims to suicide.
http://www.buffalo.edu/UBT/UBT-archives/09_ubtsp98/features/feature4.html

that last line is really scary, also does anyone else have the ringing noise in their ears when they don't hear anything??

I'm guessing that yours will probably go away.

I have tinnitus. My father has it as well. It sucks. I hear it ringing now and almost all the time. Often I won't notice it, but sometimes its really loud. It's really disappointing to realize it will never go away.

I damaged my ears from about 20 years of loud music and some factory work. Finally, I got tinnitus last summer when I had a [loud] box-fan that I left on 24 hours a day in my room during the summer. There is something about time spent - I don't know if ears need to rest or whatever, but constant loud sound will **** your ears up. In factories, they have to regulate noise levels by the amount of time you will be around it.

I didn't know about this shit beforehand or I would have been more careful.

I get random ringing in one ear now and again. It starts quietly, builds up, then dulls down all in the space of a few minutes.

My hearing has never been affected by it, but I certainly have clearer hearing in my right ear. Mainly because I use the phone on my right ear, and my headphones are in whenever I walk anywhere listening to music.

After a night out, I'll go to bed with slight ringing in my ears, but only if the night out involves a club, but thats common for everyone.

Doctors keep telling me that simply ignoring the ringing in my ears make it go away.

I have over-active ear-wax glands or some shit.

Doctors keep telling me that simply ignoring the ringing in my ears make it go away.
Sounds like they think yours is neurological, and you only notice it because you are focusing on it.

They have conducted tests where pretty much everyone hears some kind of ringing or 'white noise' sound if they are in a completely isolated environment where there is absolutely no sound.

It's not like I'm a doctor. I only read a bunch of stuff a while back when I had a problem, so keep that in mind.

I think before the next show I go to i will try to build up some ear wax. naturally its supposed to protect you and prevent diseases/infections and shit getting into your body

Just stick some earplugs in. Nobody is going to really notice or say anything. A lot of musicians wear them, and they're still cool right? Wear a ski-hat or skullcap over them if you are really that self-conscious.

Sounds like they think yours is neurological, and you only notice it because you are focusing on it.

They have conducted tests where pretty much everyone hears some kind of ringing or 'white noise' sound if they are in a completely isolated environment where there is absolutely no sound.

It's not like I'm a doctor. I only read a bunch of stuff a while back when I had a problem, so keep that in mind.

It probably was neurological, because since they've told me to ignore it, I can't recall any significant events where my ears were ringing.

"lol danimal u crazy"
"oh k lol"

EDIT: I actually went to the doctor that time to get my ear-canals washed out, I think they removed enough wax to fill a pen or two. Gross dark-brown/black shit, I asked them about the ringing and they probably said it off-handidly, busy pumping my sinuses full of water.

Man that shit makes your head spin.

*Reads thread*

*Immediately turns volume down on current song"

Just stick some earplugs in. Nobody is going to really notice or say anything. A lot of musicians wear them, and they're still cool right? Wear a ski-hat or skully over them if you are really that self-conscious.

and its not like you can hear anything without the ear plugs. I'd rather go with a hoody but then i'm going to sweat my balls off. this concert we had to wait outside for about half hour and i didn't bring my coat, my friend didn't have long sleeves and it was like 20 degrees out. then we get in there and half an hour in and we're sweating because theres no room to move. maybe i'll look into discrete ear plugs.

In 1951, Cage visited the anechoic chamber at Harvard University. An anechoic chamber is a room designed in such a way that the walls, ceiling and floor absorb all sounds made in the room, rather than reflecting them as echoes. Such a chamber is also externally sound-proofed. Cage entered the chamber expecting to hear silence, but he wrote later, "I heard two sounds, one high and one low. When I described them to the engineer in charge, he informed me that the high one was my nervous system in operation, the low one my blood in circulation."

There has been some skepticism about the accuracy of the engineer's explanation, especially as to being able to hear one's own nervous system. A mild case of tinnitus might cause one to hear a small, high-pitched sound. It has been asserted by acousticians that, after a long time in such a quiet environment, air molecules can be heard bumping into one's eardrums in an elusive hiss (zero dB, or twenty micropascals). Whatever the truth of these explanations, Cage had gone to a place where he expected total silence, and yet heard sound. "Until I die there will be sounds. And they will continue following my death. One need not fear about the future of music." The realisation as he saw it of the impossibility of silence led to the composition of 4?33?.
Hi :)

Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Yea I watched Children of Men too krynn.

the constant ringing means my ear drums are dying??

/cries

Stop subjecting yourself to long periods with damaging levels of sound if you don't want to deal with the consequences.

I have my own hearing problems... but I don't listen to loud stuff so I don't know why my hearing is impaired as much as it is. One problem I have is the inability to hear certain higher pitched noises.

One time a bunch of cicadas were making a huge racket outside my Uncle's house while I was visiting... everybody was hearing them and saying how loud they were.

I heard nothing...

Stop subjecting yourself to long periods with damaging levels of sound if you don't want to deal with the consequences.

Stop yelling at me!! it would help if you changed your avatar, bro

only because it feels like your yelling at me

Anyone remember the story where they would make songs and cellphone ringtones that only children can hear? By the time they are an adult, the vast majority are deaf to that frequency.

Supposedly, there is some audio cue when playing Oblivion and you are picking a lock. A high pitched cue to let you know when to press the button. I'll have to take their word for it, as I cannot hear anything. I even went into the folder and clicked on the .wav for that sound and hear nothing.

Wear earplugs.

Rock concerts and such are defined to be hazardous environmental conditions by the Ministry of Labor. Technically it's illegal for rock bands not to wear earplugs, but whatever.

I tried wearing earplugs at Sensation White, but the ****ers kept plopping out all the god damn time. I finally gave up and threw them away.

From my experience, all rock concerts sound better with earplugs on. You need to get some good well made ones, things made for target shooting and such on.

Y'know that ringing in your ears? That 'eeeeeeeeee'? That's the sound of the ear cells dying, like their swan song. Once it's gone you'll never hear that frequency again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Damn it, beaten to it.

Instantly thought of that scene.

I have tinnitus, yeah it sucks...that's why i also sleep with a fan on, otherwise it drives me nuts.

Anyone remember the story where they would make songs and cellphone ringtones that only children can hear? By the time they are an adult, the vast majority are deaf to that frequency.

Yeah, thats true.

They used to have (in some places, probably still do) things called "mosquitos" outside shops and such that make a sound that can only be heard by under 25s (more or less) to stop young people hanging around outside them.

Then it became the most downloaded ring tone in the history of ever because children could hear it in class but thier teachers couldn't, allowing them to text with impunity.

Anyway, the tinitus may be permanent, once your ears are damaged they don't heal. Got a friend whos 20 and will have it for the rest of his life (but that was due to constant exposure to lound sound, he'd sit in the office all day with his MP3 player on maximum volume)

Having pernament titinus would be pretty annoying, I think!

This site is quite interesting to test how old your ears are.
I'm 15 and I can only hear the 17.5KHz and lower ones D:
I have music on all day when I'm home, and that is probably what ruined my hearing. Gotta get rid of my music addiction :(

Having pernament titinus would be pretty annoying, I think!

I'm 15 and I can only hear the 17.5KHz and lower ones D:
I have music on all day when I'm home, and that is probably what ruined my hearing. Gotta get rid of my music addiction :(

Heh, I can hear the 19 kHz one despite consistently wearing earphones at high volume, having my car music at high volume and going to lots of concerts and clubs.

But I've always maintained that I have pretty good hearing.

That site is bullshit.

I'm not going to get into why, but first of all a computer running 44.1khz sound (which is what those files are and what most computers sound cards run at, unless you have a pro audio one) can't have a pure 21khz waveform, or 20, or 19, or anything until you hit around 14.7khz. It can do 22khz though (nyquist frequency), because it is exactly half of 44khz, but that file that have on there is messed up. It's got some weird phasing going on (which is what happens when you try to make a certain frequency that doesn't divide evenly into the sampling frequency). I made a real 22khz in goldwave just now and I can't hear it, yet I can hear their so called 22khz.

I can hear up to their 18khz sound, but it's about the same frequency as the ringing in my ears so it's really washed out. I had to turn it up very loud with headphones to hear their 17.4khz

The ringing fluctuates between a few khz. Seriously, it would be nice if I could make myself deaf to those frequencies so I don't hear the ringing. I guess it doesn't work like that.

Vegeta, if you would up that file, I would appreciate it. You say > 14? because that's about the point when I had to really turn up the volume to hear anything. I'm wondering my hearing is better than they are saying.

I've got the X-Fi Xtreme Music, a Kenwood amplifier and Sennheiser HD101 headphones.

Well, if you feel like it. I'm going to bed; peace.

You're gonna f*ckin die Warped sorry to tell you man but that's how it is life goes on we will be sure to remember you have fun man

I can't tell you how many years I've had this. Used to be a real faint ringing but now I can hear it persistently. The worst is when it picks up and practically screams it into your head, I usually have to stop what I'm doing when that happens because it's so loud.

my ears are almost back to normal and since i slept like a baby i didn't have to worry about the ringing that much. also on stage i think the only person that has to worry about excessive noise is the drummer, right??

also on stage i think the only person that has to worry about excessive noise is the drummer, right??

WHAT, Warped? No. You were in the crowd and you damaged your hearing, so.. what in the ****. You've got brain damage or someshit?

Lead singer has it the worst. I'm not surprised to see most performers with earplugs.

Performers wear ear plugs... unless they're retarded. Almost every good performer out there wears em. If you're not stupid you'll wear them too...

Unless you'd rather "look cool" by not wearing them for a few hours, rather than "look cool" for the rest of your adult life by NOT having to wear a hearing aid when you're 30.

Back