Why would source leak delay game?

R

RyanJM

For those of you who are saying that the source leak caused the delay of HL2, what is your reasoning? I mean, besides the press release from vivendi using that as a reason, why would they hold onto hl2 longer because of a code leak?

In my opinion, the best way to steal the thunder from what any of the hackers had done would have been to simply release the game, support it, and then in the background search for the hackers. I mean, now it's turned into this big media circus, with a beta released that will no doubt hurt their sales, and they've gotten a huge black eye from this mess.

It seems to me that the game would have been delayed with or without a source leak, and that the leak was simply a good excuse to use at the time. The real reason was probably either to do with de-bugging the software, or getting Steam ready for the release(ie. more bandwidth).

I think they are worried about cheating (believe it or not they really do care about gamers having fun) and piracy and maybe (don't know if it's possible) credit card numbers and stuff since steam can sell things too.

im sort of in the camp of thinking it would have been delayed also.

how many times have games been delayed like this?

delaying games is what hurts the community . people get very sick and tired of it. i wish they wouldnt make promises they prolly know they cannot keep.
yes they say its cause of the leek and maybe it was but in truth all this is just making some very upset people.

just get the game out already. people want it they want to buy it just finish the damn thing and then all this nonsense that is going on will stop

Additionally, hackers can reverse engineer the code, and since the code was mostly dealing with net stuff (I hear), hackers could also gain control of computers through holes, and exploits.

It's not just cheating VALVe is worried about, methinks. It's also security.

In which case, the delay is well warranted.

To add to the whole cheating thing, and if im not mistaken, the source leak also contained Steam code, and since valve had big plans for releasing half life 2 over steam as well, ans since this steam code leak could comprimise sales, and user computers leaving a possible "open door" for hackers to spread viruses and ect. they are probably going over the code and trying to fix what they can...but i might be wrong i dunno...

EDIT: damnit you beat me to it rice

Back