Why would you want a hard cd?

I will probably buy it off steam if its on sept 30 and cheaper. COmong guys if you want the cd copy warez it and buy it off steam. This way you get the cd plus your license ( cd key)

it aint illegal, its just a backup cause you own the game

Does anyone know for a fact that the Steam version is cheaper?

its half-illegal. To make a working copy, you'd have to crack the copy protection, and if I'm not mistaken in US-Laws, thats illegal.

I will definitvly get a cd, just because i want to hold something in my hands. besides, I can resell a cd if I don't like the game (like thats gonna happen...), can I do that with a steam copy (don't go smart on me and tell me I could sell my steam account. Who pays 50 bucks for two lines of text?)

If those two lines of text grant you access to a $50 game it is a reasonable trade.
People have paid more for less.

comon guys, it aint illegal, Just imagine you lose internet conection for 3 months, what other ways do you have to play the single player game than get the cd version if you bought the steam one. It aint illegal its a backup in case something happens.

I live in the Netherlands. If HL2's retail release isn't world wide then I'll be tempted to buy on steam. I am still however reluctant to steam it here. My preferred method is the CD. Most likely it’s just the security of having the real thing. It’s nice to open a box; it’s nice to put in a CD to install. You basically feel like you have something real then. I feel things like these are still important values. If there is a really good film out for example, I’ll rather watch it with friends at the cinemas then see it on video, on TV or on my computer screen. The boring pulp fiction films only get the quick and rough treatment, for anything good I like to savor the experience a little. For games this includes shopping for the game, opening the box, reading through the manual, etc. All those physical things I feel are still important. I see some forms or behavior as more ritualistic in character and others as pure brute consumeristic.

As far as supporting new means of product distribution, the jury is still out for me on this one. I’ll have to use steam anyway to update the thing. Like I said I’m only tempted to buy through steam if it not released in NL at the same time as the rest of the world. It is my hope that the manufactures can synchronize a world wide retail release. I think release dates (in stores) are also quite important things for any entertainment provider. If you look at the building hype surrounding (film) DVD release dates you can clearly see a growing trend. Retail publicity can be important to the success of a product. I think the retail hype around the “Matrix reloaded” made the game probably more successful then the actual game probably should have been credited with. You can see with the new “Star Wars” films, and more clearly with the whole Harry Potter book phenomena how people respond well to event’s like this. I know internet distribution is a really good idea. In many ways I am all for it. I also think there are still a lot of really great opportunities to be made in the retail environment. BUT companies have to be active in promoting these real life retail events. This includes not fumbling over release dates etc. Films have count downs on their websites. Game promoters and distributors have a lot of catching up to do to get them selves up to par. All eyes are on Vivendi Universal to see how they go. I have a hunch that Doom3 is better positioned to take care of the people that are less internet based, more relaxed about gaming but still quite enthusiastic about having a go at what is perceived to be the best game on the market for this season.

Also the couple of times i have downloaded games of the internet (only old ones like Monkey Island that are hard to find with out buying a game you already have) i never have enjoyed the game as much as if i had bought and it does feel like actually mine.

LOL That's cus it isn't yours, you stole it!

All those physical things I feel are still important. I see some forms or behavior as more ritualistic in character and others as pure brute consumeristic.

Sure. I mean, I don't deny that there are superstitious, habitual, and collector connections to doing things that way, and if you notice I DIDN'T ask about people who wanted to buy the box straight out: if you read the OP, I was only talking about people who DO buy it over Steam.... but also want a cd and box and manual (even though they can get everything digitally: copy of the manual, scans of the box, etc.) I'm most likely buying the box so I can get a special edition. So I have nothing against buying the box.

CD's arent so hott. (no offence guys) Like all you guys bring up is the fact that oh if this blows up ill still be playing HL2. That stuff rarely happends and if i did id think you have a way bigger problem to deal with on your hands then playing HL2. Steam is good. You get the buddylist thing updates for quick fixes what more can you want? CD's you have to install them find patchs online wich is allways slow and bording. I dunno, Im NOT trying to change anyones mind. Do what you going to do it all leads to one of the best games of all time. Some faster or better then orthers. :D

If it's cheaper... I'm buying from Steam.

But I have one question... will it be like Half-Life 1 is now where it just downloads levels as you get to them? I mean... surely not as even the boxed copies come with steam and people without an internet connection will be able to play...

BUT, if you do buy it through Steam and it IS that way... no way am I doing that!

What I really want to know is:

If you were to buy Half Life 2 in a box, with a CD, would it come with a kind of purchasers' code that would ALSO let you download the game off of steam? I mean, there's nothing to stop them from doing that is there? It's not like they'd be different copies, Gabe mentioned that only 1 online instance of a certain bought game can run at once, which suggests kind of CD key ala Half Life 1. The CD keys determined if you had the game with Half Life 1, you could download the full game anywhere, but without the CD key you got no online play.

I wish someone would E-Mail Gabe about this. All the questions have been about if you downloaded off Steam, could you get a CD etc. I want to know the reverse. If you get the CD could you download off Steam? If so then I'll buy the CD, no question.

Originally posted by peasoup
Im really old school and will only buy it in a box
even if the boxed version is delayed while the steam version come out on time

same here.. u could have the greatest reason in the world for buying it off steam.. but i would still want some sort of "hard copy" be it CD/DVD or <insert future object for data storage>

Originally posted by Abom|nation
Sorry, but there's nothing better than getting home with your long-awaited Half-Life 2 box, tentatively taking the plastic wrapping off, opening it, inhaling that lovely new-manual smell, carefully placing the CD in the drive and watching as your computer screen glows up with the Half-Life 2 installer. Ace.

gawd.. u make it sound like sex... lol but ya, i agree!! i live for those moments.. besides i like to look through the manuel and stuff some times when im sitting around or something :dork:

also i do want to say that not everyone uses the internet to play as much as most gamers do.. my brother is a perfect example of that.. he would love to sit and play games, download movies etc.. but he doesn't because he has a life.. meaning work.. he doesn't have the time to download a game. its faster for him to go buy it at the store seeing as how he goes out to get groceries etc.. a walk to EB certainly hasn't killed him before and all likihood won't when he gets his "hard copy" of HL2.

the only reason i would personally purchase HL2 off steam knowing that i already have a "hard copy" is to support Valve and the time and effort they have put into the game.. (i think Valve gets 95% if not all 100% of the steam sales of HL2.. someone know for sure?) but then again.. i would also need to have alot cash on me to be buying extra copies of HL2. :p

unless your a hollywood teamster, you have no reason to be lazy enough not to go out and buy [half-life2] at a store.

All (most) of you people are responding under the assumptions that the retail version will be just as available as the Steam version, and that they'll both cost the same.

The Steam version is probably going to be more available than the retail version. If you go to the store on the release date and find that HL2 is sold out, and that online retailers can't ship it for four days, guess what, you're gonna be tempted to just buy it on Steam and play it that night. PLas touched on this with his comments about world-wide release. In fact, it'll probably be available on Steam before the pre-orders even get delivered.

We don't know if they'll cost the same either. Unless Valve is contractually obliged to price Steam HL2 the same as retail HL2, Steam HL2 will probably be considerably cheaper. If you subtract out the manufacturing fees for the CD, the manual, the box, the retail fees, and the publisher's fees, Valve could probably sell it for 20 bucks and still make as much profit as they do from retail. If you're a financially challeged student and you only have 40 bucks left after buying a new videocard, guess what, you're gonna be tempted to buy it off Steam (assuming that it's cheaper there, which seems likely).

So my recommendation is to not commit yourself to the retail version (or the Steam version), until we know more about how the releases will work.

On a related note, the worldwide release may be another reason why Valve and Vivendi are apparently fighting over the date. If the Steam version is released on the same day as the US/UK retail version, but the other international releases don't come out until weeks later, then a lot of the international gamers will buy via Steam rather than wait and Vivendi will lose out on all that money. Doing a simultaneous worldwide release takes a lot of preparation, maybe Vivendi wants an extra month just to prepare for it so they don't lose so much money to Steam.

Alright guys, here's the best reason to buy via Steam: SCREW THE PUBLISHERS! Game publishers are like record companies, they are the meddlesome middle-men that keep prices high and suppress innovation in the industry. In fact, Vivendi/Universal IS a record company. VU is a bloated MPAA / RIAA leech, living off the rediculous federal laws they pay for with money they steal from artists. Paying VU money so you can have a shiny box and a CD makes baby Jesus cry.

EDIT: Do not start with the flames. I'm just saying that in terms of who you give your HL2 dollar to, Valve is the good guy here and VU is the evil mega corp. Read this and the comments for more background: http://www.evilsite.org/evil/Vivendi Universal/
If Steam HL2 is slow, I'm gonna buy through retail too. But I don't want to.

I already preordered and i want to get the hard copy anyway. I want the collector editions tin box, cd cas, CD, manual, etc. Who doesnt?

Originally posted by dscowboy
On a related note, the worldwide release may be another reason why Valve and Vivendi are apparently fighting over the date. If the Steam version is released on the same day as the US/UK retail version, but the other international releases don't come out until weeks later, then a lot of the international gamers will buy via Steam rather than wait and Vivendi will lose out on all that money. Doing a simultaneous worldwide release takes a lot of preparation, maybe Vivendi wants an extra month just to prepare for it so they don't lose so much money to Steam.

Alright guys, here's the best reason to buy via Steam: SCREW THE PUBLISHERS! Game publishers are like record companies, they are the meddlesome middle-men that keep prices high and suppress innovation in the industry. In fact, Vivendi/Universal IS a record company. VU is a bloated MPAA / RIAA leech, living off the rediculous federal laws they pay for with money they steal from artists. Paying VU money so you can have a shiny box and a CD makes baby Jesus cry.

these last two points in ur post are the best/most important ones as to why pple should buy the game off steam.. and well.. even tho i have pre-ordered my "hard copy" if i have the cash, i might buy a second copy for my other comp in December.. but as it looks right now.. aside from owning one copy of HL2.. i don't think i will have cash for another copy.

I'm planning on getting HL2 retail unless things certain things happen:

1. The steam release is more than a day ahead of the retail release.
2. I can't find it in stores and a day has gone by.
3. It is quite a bit cheaper ($20 at least) and I have a friend I can burn a backup copy from. <--- this is assuming the only cd-key I'd need is one I'd get from ordering HL2 online.
4. The steam release includes something HL2 retail didn't (not likely)

Now reasons I for sure wouldn't get it on Steam are as follows:

1. You have to download levels as you go.
2. If for some reason I wouldn't be able to install with another CD and use my account online <-- also not likely
3. If I hear from this forum or others the servers are slow as hell and people can't get Steam to work or download quickly due to the mad rush of people trying to get online and such.
4. If I can get it earlier from a retail store. (The past few games I have pre-ordered from EB have shown up 2-3 days ahead of release and preorder people have been allowed to pick them up).

I see the pros and cons of each side and depending on how things turn out with the steam release, I still have yet to make my final decision. I'm leaning toward retail because I feel it's more reliable and I know I won't have troubles at all. If I wanna bring my copy of HL2 to a friends house who hasn't played it... I don't wanna have to clog their internet connection for hours just downloading steam and the game. I think it'll be easier (from my standpoint) to use a CD.

...Although I do like the whole "SCREW THE PUBLISHERS!" bit...

Well, first of all Steam will not offer the Special Edition, but thats besides the point.

So, why do I want a HL2 CD (DVD)?

- It will sit nicely next to my HL1 CD.
- "Downloading" feels cheap.
- You get everything Steam users get and more.
- I could care less about the price.

i would well want a hard copy! just look cool by my hl 1 box and cs and dod box :) i just love the HL 1 engine and get most of the games :)

Re: Re: Why would you want a hard cd?

Originally posted by Dile
Looks like you have misunderstood some info, Apos. If you buy HL2 in a store, you can create a HL2 account just like when buying it via steam. The only difference between the two are:
- Store: you get the whole bundle (box, cd, manual, and some goodies), price is higher.
- Steam: you dont get the box and everything, but its a lot cheaper. And you can stay indoors during the process:)

So if you buy the retail, you can create your steam account and you can d/l the game anytime, anywhere. If you lose the CD, there still is your steam account, where you can do anything just like if you purchase via steam.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Well, first of all Steam will not offer the Special Edition, but thats besides the point.

So, why do I want a HL2 CD (DVD)?

- It will sit nicely next to my HL1 CD.
- "Downloading" feels cheap.
- You get everything Steam users get and more.
- I could care less about the price.

Thread finished. Debate over. Cut here. Store bought is the way im going to go from reading this thread. Money is no issue, besides its only as much as any other game youve ever bought, get a job if its too much. No chance in hell im missing out on a T-Shirt or that smell of fresh new game, and we get everything steam people do.

Amish, I agree with your post. I just want Steam to succeed, and for people to be open to the idea of buying online. A lot of people don't realize that success for Steam means freedom for development studios (and mod teams) from 'Have a Cigar' publisher relationships, from rediculously small margins, and from WallMart 'The Christian Coalition doesn't like your game so we're not carrying it' bulls***. A cheap electronic distribution network like Steam would change the industry in a lot of ways, not the least of which is allowing developers to innovate again instead of pumping out the next version of "Wacky Whackum Robot Squirrels!" that their publisher decided would be 'a big hit with the kids these days' after spending 40 minutes in a focus group with 5 year olds. Screw that.

Originally posted by Slash
Steam, with compression and the fast content servers, is supposed to be faster than installing via a CD. So it would be "easier" and "faster" to use Steam as opposed to finding your CD and reinstalling.
Yeah, right.

Personally, I like the comfort of having a hard copy of the game in my hands. While the prospect of downloading it via Steam is tempting, especially if you can start the download at midnight and have it ready to roll first thing in the morning, I still don't quite have enough faith in internet content delivery to bank on it. To me, it's much safer to just go the store and walk out with a physical copy of the game that you can install at your leisure.

I'm also concerned about things like my ISP going down for the afternoon or a server attack on Steam disabling it for the weekend that could prevent one from playing their Steam copy of the game. If you have a copy on CD, you needn't worry about these things. And Valve has stated that people who buy the game on CD will still have all the benefits of Steam, including the ability to install the game on any computer you want via Steam (of course, you can only run one copy of the game at a time for obvious reasons.)

In short, call me old school, but it seems the potential negatives of Steam outweigh the positives.

i'm pretty sure that gabe said the downloading levles on the fly thing would be fixed in future steam releases

Originally posted by Dave_m
just look cool by my hl 1 box and cs and dod box
Umm, why do you have a HL1 box AND CS and DoD boxes? Since you have HL why pay for CS and DoD?

I'll go for the CD.

WHy> Cos i'm moving house which means no broadband connection for a year. WHich means no STEAM option for me.
And damned if i'm gonna download 2GB+ game at 56k per sec.

If i could keep my broadband connection though then I'd buy it on steam and then wait for the collectors edition CD to become available which I'd then also buy..

If you want a cd copy why dont u just buy it off steam and then burn your steam folder onto cdr? Or better yet get the warez iso of halflife 2 and burn that, and use the steam ticket you paid for and that way valve gets paid, u get the game on time and u have a cd. Everyone wins...

Originally posted by another-user
id want the hard copy if anything where to happen to my system where i would be forced to re-download the game (im assuming u must download the full game to play) with the cd/dvd it would be much easier to just pop it back in the cd tray and hit install.

exactly the reason i would rather have a cd. although im not sure which i would rather have... i'll make the decision when time comes. of course, you could always burn your download, heh.

I want the pretty box the cd and the manual. :bounce:

Steam is intrusive malware and only an idiot would install it. kthnxhi

i'm thinkin... dvd version :D get it on steam, too easy to forget your account password or something. i think it's easier to lose a piece of paper than a tin box.

Originally posted by Koldfire
I want the pretty box the cd and the manual. :bounce:

Steam is intrusive malware and only an idiot would install it. kthnxhi

Yeah of course, steam just downloaded the RPC worm and BugBear.E onto my comp, oh my.

Originally posted by smilez
If you want a cd copy why dont u just buy it off steam and then burn your steam folder onto cdr? Or better yet get the warez iso of halflife 2 and burn that, and use the steam ticket you paid for and that way valve gets paid, u get the game on time and u have a cd. Everyone wins...
A couple points:

1) Valve has said you won't be able to back-up a game acquired via Steam to a CD, and it's useless without Steam anyway making it a moot point.

2) I refuse to support warez in any way, shape, or form. Besides, warez versions are generally buggy and missing content, not to mention their propensity to contain viruses and trojans.

In short, if you want a hard copy of the game, your best bet is retail.

You can play HL2 where there is no internet connection at all if you buy the "hard cd."

Originally posted by FAK3R
Well seeing how it works it will most likely be compressed in one way or another and wont actually be a 2-3gb download.. I mean I download a full hl install off of steam in about 3 minutes without having any previous copies of hl installed.
So most likely they will be using some form of compression to make file transfers quicker

even compressed im guessing it would still take longer.......but that really doesnt matter anyway unless you have dialup.

That and like alot of others...i want a box......i want a manual...i want CD's.

I love the feeling of opening up a new game and looking at all the art and stuff while it installs.

I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to play singleplayer without an internet connection even if you downloaded from Steam... that'd be an... odd... design decision.

Back