Widescreen

SubKamran

Reaction score
Who else will be running in widescreen? I'm lucky because my monitor saves its settings, so I can play on a WS resolution and change the size and then switch back to my desktop.

:smoking:

PS. I don't have a widescreen monitor.

Yup, widescreen for me.

Although I hope they put in a "16:10" resolution though. Anything else would make it look distorted (something like 1280x800 should do).

Monitor is a Sony GDM-FW900 btw.

MadLogic said:
How do you use widescreen without a widescreen monitor?

A "hack". You set it on a WS resolution, then resize your screen vertically so it's thinner, emulating a 4:3 screen displaying 16:9. ;)

SubKamran said:
A "hack". You set it on a WS resolution, then resize your screen vertically so it's thinner, emulating a 4:3 screen displaying 16:9. ;)

I still don't get it. What's the advantage of doing that?

etzel90 said:
yea i have a 55 inch widescreen projection TV. Right now i cant get the widescreen option to work on steam. Maybe it will work with CSS

If you dont believe me here are pics...

http://www.philetzel.com/90/cz5501.gif

That is a neat thing... I wanted to put my computer on my TV. I did it one time and talk about bad quality..

TST_Devgru Seal said:
That is a neat thing... I wanted to put my computer on my TV. I did it one time and talk about bad quality..

*cough*My 124" projected screen on teh wall owns all*cough*

SubKamran said:
*cough*My 124" projected screen on teh wall owns all*cough*
Does this widescreen trickery work with anything or only sertain video cards?

MadLogic said:
Does this widescreen trickery work with anything or only sertain video cards?

Anything I believe...try it with CZ, choose a "widescreen" resolution. I'm not certain but I don't think there's any under 1920x1080. :p (Hey, my CS:S goes at a fine speed on that res)

Again, not sure...I'd have to go into CS:S. But I can't ATM.

EDIT: 1280x768 is widescreen I think...I'm using it at fullscreen to test and it's stretched.

EDIT 2: Yup, it is! I googled it...monitors that are native 1280x768 are labeled "widescreen".

SubKamran said:
Yah, I love your setup :D

:E Thank you :cheers:

You should look at buying a screen though, I built one a couple of week ago, it's a bit smaller, but the image is way, WAY better. I was watching the intro to Lost in space once i set it up, and it looked like i could grab into the screen and pickoff one of the spaceships.
It looked way 3d, really cool :D

/edit: This baby is what I use upstairs btw, i loves mah crt's :naughty:

Update: I got to play CS:S, 1280x768 is 16:10, but it works great like I said...I was spectating this guy and there was a CT at the edge of the screen, he didn't know and died...so it can come in handy!

so i set it at that resolution and then i squish it so there is black at the top and the bottom?

SilentKilla said:
so i set it at that resolution and then i squish it so there is black at the top and the bottom?

Yuppo! Works great if your monitor saves its settings.

So wait, you don't have a widescreen monitor, yet you still use widescreen settings? I still don't get it.

me either evil. im trying it now, it looks weird.. i dunno how this helps anything? does it make the game look better?

I will be playing in widescreen on a 55" widescreen HDTV with dvi

Wow go to hell, those things are like $10,000

so jealous

Back