will enemies have facial animations as well?

shaggy2039

Reaction score
will any of the aliens such as bullsquid or any other aliens use the new facial technology as well?

if I see the eyes of a bullsquid move, it'll freak me out...

Yeah, the combines can do all sorts of poses in the combine mask. You just can't see it.

That is an interesting point.

I would hope Valve would not overlook this detail.

But I have yet to see any enemies in official screen shoots that have eyes.

...I don't think they can. I wish the zombie head crab people at least moved like their frustrated or angry.

Harryz said:
Yeah, the combines can do all sorts of poses in the combine mask. You just can't see it.

I'm talking about more of the aliens in the game...I dont' think it's that stupid to ask this...I think if aliens had eye movement at the least, it would look really creepy versus the usual thing where they're just staring at a fixed point...

I think the Vortigaunts will at least be able to blink their eyes, but facial animations? Do they even have a face? ( I know it's not an enemy)

By the way, the Bullsquid actually blinks it eyes in normal HL...

The hostages in CS:S blink, so I would assume that it's possible to add animation to any character. I guess it depends on how detailed they decided to get with some of the characters/monsters/etc.

I doubt they will, however I would be most impressed if enemies did (Im not even refering to combine troops with masks)

on a barely related note, I hope they slip in lip synching to voice com for future cs:s models (as they did in CS)

All NPCs have facial expressions. The monsters, I'm not sure of.

Also, you can't see through a combine's mask.

The animations of the NPCs are said to be very amazing - they say they show depression, sadness and the fact how tired they are after a fight - that they make hl2 the most convincing game ever. This is the reason why EDGE and PC Gamer gave it such high scores.

All human form npcs have 4X(42 i think?) facial muscles.

It is a scripted system valve built off a phD thesis.

I reaaaaaaally doubt they're have expressions, if they do it'l be like 2/3 muscles just to open mouth etc.. Cuz i bet those 40 (its 40 btw dude above me ^ :p) take a lot of CPU usage...

I mean spawning 10+ hosties in CSS is bad enough and they only open mouths :p

killahsin-[CE] said:
All human form npcs have 4X(42 i think?) facial muscles.

It is a scripted system valve built off a phD thesis.

40 facial expression, are you out of your mind?!

I remember, valve saying that there are 40 or so primary expressions as stated by Doctor Paul Eckman, and they are only using 25 or something for the important NPCS only (Gman, Alyx, e.t.c.)

They'll be using less than that for the ordinary NPCs.

lans said:
40 facial expression, are you out of your mind?!

I remember, valve saying that there are 40 or so primary expressions as stated by Doctor Paul Eckman, and they are only using 25 or something for the important NPCS only (Gman, Alyx, e.t.c.)

They'll be using less than that for the ordinary NPCs.

If you read it again, you'll see he meant muscles, not expressions...

As he said, only some characters will have full range of emotion.

All the enemies we have seen so far are either aliens or have masks covering their faces. Its probably the easiest and best way to avoid having to deal with enemies having facial animations.

Right. Only characters that need facial animation will have it.

I don't see why "enemies" would be different. Alyx and Kliener etc. have facial animations.. They are all NPC's, regardless of their AI.

I think what you mean is, do non human NPC's have facial animations.

And I would say that yes, they would, but it won't be as complex, because, well, they rarely have things to express or show. Blinking and moving eyes will be in there, don't worry. :)

The "Facial system" isn't new technology. It's just that Valve wanted to make the facial animation more complex, and made a sort of "system" out of it. No new technology.

So why not?

flo_Orian said:
i dont care about their stupid faces when i give them headshots ://

well, valve worked their ass off to make you care more about the npc's...

Well, I imagine that any enemy that has eyes will have the eyes stare at you and blink and such. They may not have advanced facial expressions and such, but their eyes'll blink more than likely and if they have mouths they will probably move pretty convincingly. That's just theory though. :p

I'm guessing the only potential enemies in the game that will have the same level of facial expression / animation as Alyx will be Dr Breen and the G-Man.

EDIT: Or maybe that should have been Dr Breen and Alyx will have the same expression / animation level as the G-Man...

All characters have some facial movment, probably only mouth sync and eye movement.

Complex Gman E3 video movement is limited to super main characters, like gman alyx and Eli.

Man, I never even thought about this. Wouldn't it be awesome to see an enemy charge you with a full on grumpy face? Mouth all large and shit? I'd love to see stuff like that.

alright for those who are missing the point of this, and I'm only trying to clarify what my post meant so don't take this like I'm being condescending...

but think about it in terms of an animal...you know when a dog is really pissed off by it's facial expressions (and it's barking,etc.)...
but what I'm trying to say is that while vortigaunts are on gordon's side this time around, other alien enemies won't be...
I just think any kind of facial expression from alien type enemies would really enhance the experience...

Back