Will hl2 have this feature?

P

poopy

Will Halif-life 2 have the interactive menus/computer screens like in doom 3? That is a way better idea than having a use key imo.

Well, its possible in the source engine. But I guess you will have to wait until you have HL2 to see if there are any computer screens to actually use...

Source engine does have VGUI 2 or something like that - which allows you to interact with computer screens. (as seen in that bloodlines video).

Dunno if HL2 has it. Also - you will have a use key in HL2 for sure (as stated by many people who have playtested the game)

lans said:
Source engine does have VGUI 2 or something like that - which allows you to interact with computer screens. (as seen in that bloodlines video).

Dunno if HL2 has it. Also - you will have a use key in HL2 for sure (as stated by many people who have playtested the game)

I like it in the Bloodlines video.

I think they will keep true to the HL and give us our precious E key. The interactive thingy in Doom 3 wasn't that great either, when you were in a fight and you happened to turn and there was a screen you're weapon would lower (happened to me once :) ), and you wouldn't be able to shoot.

lazicsavo said:
I think they will keep true to the HL and give us our precious E key. The interactive thingy in Doom 3 wasn't that great either, when you were in a fight and you happened to turn and there was a screen you're weapon would lower (happened to me once :) ), and you wouldn't be able to shoot.

Like I said willdo, qckbeam, merc....all these guys have assured that there IS an "E" use key to pick up stuff with your hands and to interact in general with other objects. :)

yeah source supports it so mappers can use this feature if they want but I doubt it is used in hl2...

give me my use key. i like how doom 3 used it, but i think valve will try to keep features like a use key for a sense of familiarity.

The doom3 screen shit was just one of the best things ever.

BUT what works for one game doesnt mean it will work for the other.

Keep the use button....

lazicsavo said:

Oh, I disagree. I thought the VGUI in Doom 3 was one of the most impressive things about the game.

i loved the screens in D3, although its not entirely original.

What does VGUI stand for? Visual Graphical User Interface makes no sense.

Varsity said:
i take a guess at virtual, as its in a game? :monkee:

Varsity said:

VALVe Graphical User Interface

lazicsavo said:

The GUI in Doom 3 didn't suck, it was awesome.

I can see having a "use" button to pick objects, but I want a Doom 3 style GUI to open doors and play with computer screens.

VGUI 2 is the interface that Steam based games us. LIke when you select "New game" or the browse server windows.

HOW ABOUT . . . I know this sounds crazy, but . . . there IS a use key and for certain objects like computers, hitting the use key enables you to use the computer in Doom 3 fashion so you can click with your mouse.

Feath said:
VGUI 2 is the interface that Steam based games us. LIke when you select "New game" or the browse server windows.

Yes and they can be projected to textures like the camera/monitors use, in the bloodlines video, it did seem like the player pressed the use key first, and then was able to type passwords and hack stuff DX style, but from the monitor rather than a seperate screen.

I quite like the right-click system in DeusEx, it was quite usefull esspeacialy for picking up stuff or using control panels with lots of buttons.

colin4444 said:
HOW ABOUT . . . I know this sounds crazy, but . . . there IS a use key and for certain objects like computers, hitting the use key enables you to use the computer in Doom 3 fashion so you can click with your mouse.

That would be nice, insomuch that the engine does not determine when you go into that special mode, but rather you press E and then you can point and click.

PS: Does HL2 engine lower your weapon automatically when you are near friendly units or is there a key for that. I'm asking because although it might have worke in Doom 3, with the squad being prominant in HL, Gordon lowering the weapon when you are near frindly squad members might be annoying.

lazicsavo said:
with the squad being prominant in HL, Gordon lowering the weapon when you are near frindly squad members might be annoying.

Oh god forbid its easier to just shoot through your team mates.. Thank god your not in the army :p

The Dark Elf said:
Oh god forbid its easier to just shoot through your team mates.. Thank god your not in the army :p

Well that's exactly my concern, I wanna be able to shoot them if they are in my way. I don't want my weapon lowered just when they run past me in a battle. In doom 3 I always had to step back before I killed all those friendly NCPs for the PDA's.

BTW, VGUI2 doesn't seem to be limited to just the Steam-style windows. It's also used to render all of the in-game UI in CS and DoD, which means, the MotD, buy menus, scoreboard, everything.

I heard the Doom3 interfaces all used Flash, but VGUI2 lets you do everything with C++ code, apparently. And since one of the possible VGUI2 controls is a web browser, I guess it would be possible to make a Flash control, and be exactly like Doom 3 if you didn't want to mess around with doing the button handlers and things in C++.

Epsi said:
BTW, VGUI2 doesn't seem to be limited to just the Steam-style windows. It's also used to render all of the in-game UI in CS and DoD, which means, the MotD, buy menus, scoreboard, everything.

I heard the Doom3 interfaces all used Flash, but VGUI2 lets you do everything with C++ code, apparently. And since one of the possible VGUI2 controls is a web browser, I guess it would be possible to make a Flash control, and be exactly like Doom 3 if you didn't want to mess around with doing the button handlers and things in C++.

What you said about the webpage would be nice, but you're forgetting something.

When the net didnt have flash, macromedia came along and made it. Easy. THEN they needed to make a flash movie work on the net, and so a complicated plug-in thing (like when u update ur flash on sites).
I'm hoping programs in windows are coded in C++ cuz that'l allow most possibility of what you mention as it'd just be adapted for the game. (i'm good at flash so *Fingers Crossed* !)
But somehow i doubt it :(.

The thing about Doom 3 was, everything was on those cool lcars type things. In HL2 there will be buttons to push, levers to pull and wheels to turn. I think that kind of stuff feels a bit more solid with a use key.

Back