Will it run?

M

mbadran

I am not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum but I wanted to know if I can run HL2:

P4 1.5 GHZ

512MB SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256 MB

you'll be able to run it at any setting you want, but because your cpu is bottlenecking, pretty much every resolution will likely have a similar framerate. thats what happens when your cpu holds back your video card.

I have VERY bad experiences with SDram. Litteraly they suck.
I had 512 SDram, a 1.8GHZ Amd XP, and Geforce Ti4200. I couldn't run Cs: Source.
Luckly enough my motherboard comitted suicede, and I made a deal with my dads work.
They needed SDram, and I needed a new temp. Motherboard, and some ram.
So I traded my 512 SDram, for 512 DDRram, and got a temp motherboard, until I have money for upgrade, and now I run cs:source just perfect.

I never knew ram could make such a difference.

Yes, it will run. But you really need a new processor, that and another 512 megs of RAM would do wonders.

Edit: I saw now that you have quite an old system.. new motherboard, CPU and RAM is needed. Go for AMD, most bang per buck.

If I were you, I would get 512 mt of DDR before upgrading anything else

is it DDR ram or SD ram? cause sync (as opposed to double data rate) ram is quite slow in comparison. chances are it's ddr. but depends on when you got the pc. with a 1.5 p4 it may be sdram. in which case it may be more beneficial for you to update your motherboard and most probably take full advantage of the 8x agp speed of that video card. ( I have yet to see a mobo with 8x agp and sdram.

For around $500 you'll get a Asus KT400 motherboard, XP3200+ and 1 gig of ram.

Yellonet said:
For around $500 you'll get a Asus KT400 motherboard, XP3200+ and 1 gig of ram.
Get an NF7-S and a 2500+ Barton core, then overclock to 3200 speeds like me. My CPU only goes over 40C when playing games :p

mbadran said:
I am not sure if I posted this in the wrong forum but I wanted to know if I can run HL2:

P4 1.5 GHZ

512MB SDRAM

ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 256 MB
No. It won't not by a long shot. You will need an absolute minimum of 1024 mb ram, and a 256mb graphics card, and your cpu won't even come close to playable. You HAVE to upgrade. Sorry.

people of HL2.net; Schh...

AJ Rimmer said:
No. It won't not by a long shot. You will need an absolute minimum of 1024 mb ram, and a 256mb graphics card, and your cpu won't even come close to playable. You HAVE to upgrade. Sorry.

people of HL2.net; Schh...

your a sad man

Isn't the later batches of 2500+s "fixed" so you can't OC? There was a rumour about that a while ago anyway...

Well, mine is not even a month old, and I can overclock. In fact, my motherboard BIOS gave me a choice from 2500+ to 3200+.

darksonic...2500+=11x166, 3200+=11x200...it's still locked. you can't change your mulitplier.

yes the game will play. you may have to force it into dx8 for a decent framerate, but it will play. if it does dx6, it sure as hell will play on any other card.

Nice.
I've got a 2800+ but I can't OC because my memory wont allow it =( I've got 2x256Mb PC2700 but one of them is faulty so I can only run them in 133 MHz ;(

Hmm, yeah cadaveca is right. I changed the multiplier to 12, but CPU-Z detects as 11. Oh well, 3200+ speeds are what I wanted.

i have a question, what is the best res i could get on a Dell monitor, its not a flat screen, just the standard one that they have been giving with there systems

proly 1024x768 if it's 15inch...1280x1024 17 inch

the framerate is another matter however

Guu, what are your specs? Game resolution has nothing to do with monitor, unless you want to know your maximum resolution you could go to. If you want that...then try opening a few games and looking at resolutions. Some games only show the ones that are supported, and others show all of them...

Guus345 said:
2.4 P4, 738ram if that matters on my res question

i predict....
lol

you'll be fine at 1024x768, and maybe with 4x AA and 8x AF
with the pc in my sig i get 75 fps on those settings on the CSS VST

my specs are as follows
P4 2.4 ghz
768 mb ram
Radeon 9800 Pro
17inch monitor

Guus345 said:
i have a question, what is the best res i could get on a Dell monitor, its not a flat screen, just the standard one that they have been giving with there systems
You have to be a little more specific than that.. my parents have a dell monitor, which sucks! My collage has dell with monitors that are great. The "best" resolution is often not the highest. In most games 1024x768 is often high enough to make it look good, especially if you use AA

Guus345 said:
my specs are as follows
P4 2.4 ghz
768 mb ram
Radeon 9800 Pro
17inch monitor
You'll be able to play HL2 just fine, but in order to get a good frame rate I would suggest no higher resolution than XGA (1024x768).

PlagueX said:
I have VERY bad experiences with SDram. Litteraly they suck.
I had 512 SDram, a 1.8GHZ Amd XP, and Geforce Ti4200. I couldn't run Cs: Source.
Luckly enough my motherboard comitted suicede, and I made a deal with my dads work.
They needed SDram, and I needed a new temp. Motherboard, and some ram.
So I traded my 512 SDram, for 512 DDRram, and got a temp motherboard, until I have money for upgrade, and now I run cs:source just perfect.

I never knew ram could make such a difference.

Really? I have a P IV 2.53 ghx prccesor with 512 mb DDR SDRAM and 64 mb GeForce4 Ti 4200, and i can run at 1024x768 2X AA with settings on high. It is most liekly your porcessor. Unfortunately upgrading your processor usually means getting a new motherboard, and things can get a little...annoying

ALSO: Quick Q: Will I get a big performance increase if I go from my Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb to a 256 bit 128 mb Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro?

I just bought this:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1024Mb DDRram PC3200
Asus A7N8X-X nForce2
ATi Radeon 9800PRO 128MB
160GB ATA100 7200rpm

Will it run, I wonder? :p

Cyber$nake said:
ALSO: Quick Q: Will I get a big performance increase if I go from my Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64mb to a 256 bit 128 mb Sapphire Radeon 9800 pro?
Yes. 10char

Athlon XP2000+
512 DDR
GeForce3 Ti 200

Something tells me HL2 is gonna look like HL on my comp.... :(

Back