Will Potential Rivals Use Source Code?

P4boy

Reaction score
Do you think other developers will now use the leaked Source code to improve their own engines with thoughts and ideas from this code?

I imagine the benefits to your coding team would be substantial.

If Duke Nukem Forever is released in the next few months we may have the answer to that:cheese:

If they have it all copyrighted and dated all their junk, then no...

lol i downloaded the source on http 20 sec download! gj valve...

a smart developer wouldn't blatantly rip out chunks of identifiable code. they would look it over and implement something similar but not exact. what sucks is valves ideas are going to be ripped off and legally as well.

No I don't think it likely any major developer will be stupid enough to rip code out of the HL2 source, the potential for expensive and potentially fatal litigation are too enormous. I think most commercial coders in the field will try to avoid even giving the thing a look see to avoid corruption of their own code.

Not to mention a great deal of sympathy from other professional games coders.

I'm pretty much certain the guys at id feel nearly as bad for the Valve guys as the Valve team themselves.

No one will use Valve's code specifically, however the industry will use it as an educational resource in future when building their own engines, that's for sure.

hmm valve must be really pissed at that :/ shame it wasn't ready on the 30th, they would have been makin cheats instead of hackin Valves computers :/

yo guys this link i have have no site on it... maybe it was the 1 leak... should i send the download link of the source to valve?

For cheaters this is x-mas sort of, they can surely do something nasty with the pages in hand... god damn hippies :flame: :flame:

Back