Will steam help pirate hl2!

Gray Fox

Reaction score
Okay i may have it wrong but isn't it true that you will be able to play hl2 singleplayer with steam, even if you bought the retail version you won't need steam.

What if let say I install it on my pc, go online verify my account then I can play it in offline mode, and then i go to my friends house and install the game there then go there online veryfy it online with my account then he and I can play the game simultaniously offline in singleplayer,and so ,and so on........

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this possible. But it can't be Valve could not have overlooked that. we fans will buy it legaly but won't a lot of other people do this.
( first sorry if I made spelling mistakes I'm from Holland, and second You can flame me but only if you give me an anwser)

tbh i expect, pretty soon after release, someone will release a program that can use all the preload files to run single player halflife2

this would be a tiny program in comparison with the full game, so it will be easily distributed. so yes, steam will make it much easier to pirate. imo.

What if let say I install it on my pc, go online verify my account then I can play it in offline mode, and then i go to my friends house and install the game there then go there online veryfy it online with my account then he and I can play the game simultaniously offline in singleplayer,and so ,and so on........

Impossible, you can't register the same cd-key to more than one account.

Dr0ndeh said:
tbh i expect, pretty soon after release, someone will release a program that can use all the preload files to run single player halflife2

this would be a tiny program in comparison with the full game, so it will be easily distributed. so yes, steam will make it much easier to pirate. imo.
Ha ha ha.

PvtRyan said:
Impossible, you can't register the same cd-key to more than one account.

I think he means if you install the game with the key and then register that key on his steam account. Then he logs in on his friends comp and play it there, since its downloadable on steam and he goes back to his house and play the installed version. Its possible

so you can log onto a steam account, while someone is on it? thats what he's stating? ive never thought about that before.

If he's logged on to his steam account at his friend's house and then goes back home, Steam won't allow him to log on to his account.
It can only be active on one PC at a time.

No no, 1 is logged and playing hl2 on that and the other one doesn't use steam, he just plays it from his computer.

the warez kiddies will be regulated to OFFLINE ONLY!
Muaahahaha!!!

Face the facts guys, its going to get hacked all the way within a week. They cant do a damn thing about it, look at any popular game. Do you have any idea how hard blizzard tried to keep hacks out of diablo2? I would venture to say there will never be a hack free game on modern windows OS.

Blizzard did not have Steam. Blizzard did not have online verifcation. Blizzard did not have the experience of releasing a beta and stagerring release to tempt pirates even more to break the protection of a product that doesn't matter in that respect.

Offline will be cracked eventually. Online will not - or if it is, will become useless within a few hours as Valve change a handful of values as they did for CSS.

Varsity said:
Ha ha ha.

basicly, valve have thrown down the gauntlet to the hackers. hackers live for this sort of thing, and given valves other security 'precautions' its just inevitable that this sort of thing will happen.

Death will be our future, and we will all face it.

I think they know that the singleplayer part is vulnarable to warez. But as every game to date was pirated in some way this is a prize they have to pay over time. But with steam - I think - they managed to secure the much more popular multiplayer part. At least if everything works as expected.
If the encryption / security scheme is good, then also the singleplayer should be safe for some time.

Nex321 said:
No no, 1 is logged and playing hl2 on that and the other one doesn't use steam, he just plays it from his computer.

So basically using a Steam account with 2 persons non-simultaneously? Isn't that the same as just borrowing the game with cd-key to a friend?

No I meant that they might play multiplayer together with only 1 cd key.

Dr0ndeh said:
basicly, valve have thrown down the gauntlet to the hackers. hackers live for this sort of thing, and given valves other security 'precautions' its just inevitable that this sort of thing will happen.
They failed for CSS. Valve now knows what they did and can (and tbh probably have) act against it.

Varsity said:
Blizzard did not have Steam. Blizzard did not have online verifcation. Blizzard did not have the experience of releasing a beta and stagerring release to tempt pirates even more to break the protection of a product that doesn't matter in that respect.

Offline will be cracked eventually. Online will not - or if it is, will become useless within a few hours as Valve change a handful of values as they did for CSS.

wrong.

Blizzard had one of the biggest betas ever for diablo2, and blizzard had battlenet which functioned as a way to get patches out as fast as steam is capable of.

Varsity said:
They failed for CSS. Valve now knows what they did and can (and tbh probably have) act against it.

There were hacks out for cs:s in days.

Fair enough for the beta, but Steam is much much more than an autopatcher.

Homer said:
There were hacks out for cs:s in days.
And they were all useless hours later.

Pi Mu Rho said:
If he's logged on to his steam account at his friend's house and then goes back home, Steam won't allow him to log on to his account.
It can only be active on one PC at a time.

No... But it can only be at one IP at the time (i think)

Me and my brother has played CS:S against eachother :upstare:
and he used my account... but that is for LAN, but we are connected to the internet... so don't know if we both can play on internet...

The one and only way to fight hackers is to have good and fair admins on your server. Thats all there is to it.

Varsity said:

So is battlenet.

Steam has already been hacked, and the release of halflife2 wont change anything.

And they were all useless hours later.

Not really, it took them over a week to fix the earthquake bug/hack, and other hacks from the beta still work.

It's the same as downloading some small 3rd party game, then paying for an activation code, and giving that code to other people.

Varsity said:
So is battle.net, it's their whole server.

dkelly said:
So is battle.net, it's their whole server.
Alright, Steam is much more than an autopatcher and server verification service. :p

Valve could probably release a small update every day, and you'd never know it (it wouldn't have to be a patch, just an invisible change that doesn't effect the game and keeps pirates away)

Biozeminade said:
Valve could probably release a small update every day, and you'd never know it (it wouldn't have to be a patch, just an invisible change that doesn't effect the game and keeps pirates away)
That sort of thing.

Varsity said:

Any warez-kiddie can play CSS online for free.

Get your facts straight.

Uhh, not like it matters, but I'm using my friends CD key to play with Steam, and he is also using his own. I think with the older CD keys more than one person can use a CD key. Oh, and to stand up for myself, my moron friend "had" to use my CD key to create a server account for a CS clan which never took off...

Oh, and CS:Source is dead for the people who downloaded it. My friends doesn't work anymore...poor him...

i figure steam will make it alot easier to steal the game, but i guess it depends on where they decide to place the cd key.
if the cd key is on the out side of the jewel case, all you have to do is buy a copy of hte game, carefully slit the plastic seel open, and then enter the cdkey on the jewel case. now you have a 100% working copy of hl2 and cs:s sitting on your comp you can use any time. all you do now is close everything back up, make sure it looks brand new and un-opend, and return it.
i know it happend alot with DAOC. friend of mine bought and returned 3 copies before he finaly got a game that hadnt already been purchesd, verified, and returned.

MTW, are you sure? The site he goes to is down, and he is getting angry... Meh, no more talk of warez, I don't want to get banned...

another-user, yeah, that must suck. I've never had anything like that happen before, but I can imagine it must suck...

MTW, do you have AIM? If you could talk to me on there and help me shut my friend up, I would greatly appreciate it.

Please listen: what I meant whas that i would (hypotheticly offcourse ;) log on my account from my friends computer and veify it, then after one verification they can play hl2 via steam in offline mode at the same time as I can, and maybe others that I did it on their computers, because with steam you only need to verify once online, so in essence the game does not need to be hacked, they just play it in steams offline mode that way steam can't check that I'm loged on with my account allready and maybe others, so I could illigally distribut the game without hacks, see that is what I meant, only for this to work you would need trusing friends who wouldn't screw you are who have a slow phoine connection and will not need to go online, and offcourse they wouldn't be able to play legaly online, are at all for that matter.

No, see, Grey Fox you aren't in the warez know. A game CD comes with built-in protection. Once that protection has been broken, you can burn the CD as much as you want. BUT, the game checks for that protection when starting up. If it isn't there, you won't be able to play. Thus the need for no-cd cracks. That is a hack.

Varsity said:

they did not 'fail' with css at all. i know loads of people with the beta. granted they cant play it online, but what percentage of people are going to care about multiplayer hl2? i bet its alot lower than you might imagine.

:upstare: *someone is stupid*

me and my bro log on to the same account on diffrent computers and play, we just cant go into the same server.

Yeah, nevermind, my friend is a moron and wasn't doing the source thing right. He has now shut up... Wish I actually was thinking when I went out and bought CZ just for another game...now I have a stupid CZ box sitting in front of me...

MTW said:
Any intellegent priate can play CSS online, on legit servers, for free.

i was talking about multiplayer hl2, not the css beta. but i guess i did word it pretty poorly.

A2597 said:
the warez kiddies will be regulated to OFFLINE ONLY!
Muaahahaha!!!

Freelancer and Jedi Knight 2 have been like the only "None Private-Server Restricted" MP priated games that I've seen since a few years back. That's not incredible or anything. It's pretty much (Okay it is) impossible to stop people from priating an offline version of HL2 though.

Back