Will there be Multiple Endings?

Mutley

Tank
Reaction score
Does anyone think we might find a few multiple endings in HL2? Seeing there is Combine and Xen, and all the other characters, with advanced AI like the Strider, we could see a change in stories if you don't do something correctly, or different.

What do you think?

no, in an interview marc laidlaw said that he has no interest in doing something like that

Because they probably have the plot for HL3 already laid out. Having multiple ending that have the same result in HL3 doesn't really make sense.

Games with multiple endings can have sequels. Although almost no game designer in thier right mind, atleast those doing FPS shooters, want to waste resources making maps and content to support multiple endings or branching stories. Could use those resources to just make the game longer, instead of more complex.

I think the furthest it might go is the single-choice-right-at-the-end-yes-or-no sort of ending like Half Life... no taking a certain branch half way through the story or anything like that...

Brian Damage said:
I think the furthest it might go is the single-choice-right-at-the-end-yes-or-no sort of ending like Half Life... no taking a certain branch half way through the story or anything like that...

GMAN: "Would you........like a cup of tea.....mr....freeman"
:afro:
EDIT: I think it will go that far hehe

Garg: Brawwwwww-hurrrr.

Options: Die.
Run and scream like a little girl (who trained for the Olympics. And took steroids). Then get chased and incinerated.
Futiley pelt it with rocks while shouting about vegetables, then die.

Half-Life 3 will undoubtedly be a text adventure :LOL:

Yeah, as cool as I think it'd be, I doubt we'll see major non-linearity, but maybe there'll be a Half-Life-esque choice at the endgame. Mind you, maybe there will be defining factors- like if you save some rebels in the assault scenes, you see them alive and kicking in aftermath moments etc.

multiple endings makes a sequel harder, and since there's going to be a half-life 3 multiple endings is doubtful, though it would be awesome to see, especially if they made the third game start from whichever ending you chose and go from there, though that would probably be too complicated, i really wanna see a game do that at some point, though, since we have yet to really see that, that will be part of the future of games, adaptable sequels

Multiple endings make a story less solid, when you think of Half-Life you think of the scientist that fought his way through a underground facility to the surface against aliens and marines, to fight the finale in the homeworld of his foes under constant supervision of a mysterious man only known to us as the G-Man.

You don't think of Half-Life as the scientist that chose to go to the city instead and fight criminals, join Greenpeace and have a wife and kids and die of old age.

good point,but didnt HL have multiple endings???? ie, the G MAN gave gordon a choice.... :)

Yes. In the way of HL1, it will.

Edcrab. your avatar is cool. what does that green text say tho?

Each time you die, that's an alternate ending. Also, if you kill a VIP that you needed to protect. If you jump into the Gordon portal in Op4, that's an alternate too. Same with the G-man's other, less popular offer.

They all end with your implied death though, so I suppose we'll see something like that.

Well, I still think some variation would be cool. Not necessarily earth-shattering decisions, but tiny, little things with little or no overall effect... I want to be able to empty a vending machine completely, and find someone reloading it on a later level...

Phisionary: it says "OMG HL2". I added that in honour of the RC developments... :LOL: ALL HAIL LENNIE THE PSYCHOTIC ROBOT.

I wouldn't like that, I prefer one single great ending like HL or Max Payne than a few decent endings like DX

Yombi said:
GMAN: "Would you........like a cup of tea.....mr....freeman"
:afro:
EDIT: I think it will go that far hehe
<takes it a little farther>

GMan: "You've proved yourself a decisive man so I don't expect you'll have any trouble deciding what to do. If you're interested, just pick up a tea cup and I will take that as a yes. Otherwise, well, I can offer you a Red Bull Energy Drink you have no chance of enjoying... rather an anticlimax after what you've just survived. Time to choose..."

Back