Will Visual C++ 5 Enterprise do?

Shinobi

Tank
Reaction score
I've taken coding basics in school and know a fair amount from a conceptual basis,, but all we ever did in class was make console programs so ... bleh

anyways I plan to play around with HL2 in order to learn something useful :p

will my copy of microsoft visual c++ 5 enterprise edition do? I have it from about 4 years ago when I was taking c++ classes

It should do just fine. Really you could do it all with notepad and some command line compile tools, but MSVC 5 should work great : ) Just one question, however... are you planning on using MSVC 5 to read the leaked source code, or the SDK? If you only did a few console apps before, you most likely won't understand any of it.

hell no, I'm waiting until valve officially releases the SDK, in the mean time there's plenty of c tutorials I can read to be better prepared for the release

thanks for the answer tho :) I love the color coding in MSVC

Personally, I hate the color coding in MSVC++. You can edit what colors mean what, though. I like borland's source editor because it uses bold letters for reserved words and stuff, and makes comments italic, all in addition to more eye-friendly color coding than MSV-SUCK :-D

MSVC 5 won't handle the libraries that come with the Half-Life SDK (for example, the VGUI library will only work with MSVC 6, .net 7.0, or .net 7.1).

Also, if you use MSVC 6, you should install the Visual Studio 97 service packs available from www.microsoft.com

botman

Really if you're going to use the MSVC you should get 7.0 or 7.1, considering how old 6 and before are, you really shouldn't expect to work with modern code to a brand new game with them.

Of course if you want something nice and free, but a pain in the ass to get to work with every released SDK in existance for a commercial product, you could get Dev-C++ with the latest GCC compiler.

For pupils, the "Microsoft Visual Studio .net 2003" (what a long name ;) ) isn't that much. I think it is about 100 Euro.

hmmm.. I'll have to see if I qualify for student prices for the new Visual studio

otherwise I guess I'll have to try to find another free dev studio. Would you guys say Dev-C++ is the best free option?

also I'm reading a book on how to code for visual c++ 6, since that's fairly old will I be teaching myself old/bad programming habits?

you'd be better off forgetting a book which teaches any perticular IDE and just get one which teaches proper C++ (something after 1998 as that was when the last C++ standard was completed)

bobvodka said:
you'd be better off forgetting a book which teaches any perticular IDE and just get one which teaches proper C++ (something after 1998 as that was when the last C++ standard was completed)

That's right! :)

Back