Will you play in Widescreen?

Playing Half Life 2 in Widescreen?

• Yes, peripheral vision all the way!

Votes: 14 23.7%
  • No! 4:3 aspect ratio is good enough for me.

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • I'll wait and see.

Votes: 20 33.9%

• Total voters

Zyphria

Reaction score
I'm thinking that widescreen might be the way to go, especially for multiplayer where having some peripheral vision could definitely come in handy...but it would mean I wouldn't be filling my entire 19" CRT.

I guess it'll all come down to personal preference...but I wish I had a few grand to drop on a nice widescreen LCD ;(

Until you play the game, you won't know which is better; therefore it is impossible to make a decison at this time.

yes

Attachments

• beat.gif
    beat.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 382
If widescreen is exactly like the way it is in the videos then I might.

Personally, I think it detracts from the whole "immersion factor" somewhat.

Unless, of course, Gordon's put some strips of duct tape on the top and bottom of his glasses. That would make sense.

Originally posted by el Chi
Personally, I think it detracts from the whole "immersion factor" somewhat.

Unless, of course, Gordon's put some strips of duct tape on the top and bottom of his glasses. That would make sense.

??
Widescreen provides more periferal vision...Dont tell me your one of those people who thinks widescreen movies cut off the top and bottom of the movie.

Originally posted by Parasite
Dont tell me your one of those people who thinks widescreen movies cut off the top and bottom of the movie.
No, I know that's not what it only does and that you get more peripheral vision but my point is that there's all this emphasis on "You ARE Gordon Freeman" And I'd prefer it filled the whole screen, even if it does mean missing out on a little at the sides.
But like CptTrips said - we won't know till we play it.

heheh, sorry...Having worked at a video store thats one of my pet peaves. Personally, im only running a 17 inch moniter that only gets 1152x864 at a decent refresh rate, so I'll will prolly have to go Full screen. :/

16:9 widescreen more closely resembles the human vision aspect ratio than 4:3. This does of course depend on the distance from your eyes to the monitor, but for most part 16:9 works fine.

However, since 16:9 LCDs are exremely expensive (I think I read that Mr. Newell uses an Apple Cinema Display) I expect the majority of the gaming community to be using 4:3 for several years to come.

I can't imagine many people using 16:9 on a 4:3 display, even if it does gain some peripheral vision.

Yeah, until I can find a way to hook it up to my powerbook, I'll be stuck in 4:3 too :p

I hope other games follow this lead though, I've always shied away from 16:9 monitors because no games support it.

is widescreen generally more 'laggy' than fullscreen?
in other words, will widescreen run less smooth (lower fps)?

'cause i think that's what is gonna make my decision; the view that runs best.

I'll see :D gabe said it will look funny on some screens
I'll see if my screen is made voor widescreen or fullscreen (Think it will be full btw)

Originally posted by el Chi
No, I know that's not what it only does and that you get more peripheral vision but my point is that there's all this emphasis on "You ARE Gordon Freeman" And I'd prefer it filled the whole screen, even if it does mean missing out on a little at the sides.
But like CptTrips said - we won't know till we play it.

if you ARE freeman, then you should also see things like he does...i dont think humans see thing in 4:3 perspective.....

I'll only play in widescreen if they get it right and include the relevant black bars at the top and bottom which will be needed to make it look right (on 4:3 displays)

Fingers crossed they include this, I don't want characters looking too tall or fat and I don't want my FOV screwed up either.

Originally posted by YoBeardMaestro

I can't imagine many people using 16:9 on a 4:3 display, even if it does gain some peripheral vision.

I have a 22" 4:3 CRT, (not showing off seriously) - I figure anything from a 19" upward that 16:9 won't be too bad at all.

(if you want it)

I'll be willing to play with black bars - after watching the movies it only takes 30 seconds and you're used to it.

Back