Windows 2k or XP?

Originally posted by Asus
For performance perhaps, but stability is greatly improved.
Also the size of your harddisk matters and NTFS vs FAT32 as well. ;)

I suppose, I'm on 98 right now.. only real reason I reinstalled it was I have an awesome PSX emulator that only works in 98.. it's like my computer is a PSX, I pop in any PSX game disc, and tada, it runs, no configuration needed :)

Thanks for all the replies

:cheese: Hmm I just wanted to know why is it people say Windows XP will run better on a P4, and Windows 2K will run better on an AMD? Can anyone enlighten me on these statements? :rolling:

SELAS, that thread was a waste of time. Half the statements in it are factually wrong or just a bunch of vague opinions.

I haven't heard of XP's "instability" before. I would bet that the guy who did a bunch of XP installs, did XP upgrades or had unsupported hardware/software. A lot of people say upgrades in general are unstable and some are ridiculously bad (like upgrading Win NT to 2K). I dunno, I've done a lot of upgrades over the years and they work out fine. All the XP installs I've been doing are on 3-6 year old PCs running Win98SE. I opted to start fresh and not do an upgrade. Despite the old hardware, everything worked. The only problems I ran into was that Office 97 does work completely. Support in Word for picture formats was broken. We upgraded to Office 2k3 so that went away. We also upgraded a custom-built Access 97 application to Acccess 2k3. That one is behaving badly. Multi-user corruptions every week. Other than that-no complaints. If you fail to perform a clean upgrade you will have problems, but it isn't the OS's fault if you don't prepare properly.

As to all the visuals and extras... it is all nonsense. It means people haven't used XP long enough to know how to use it. All the XP-styled visuals can be turned off. Once done XP is visually undistinguishable from Win2000. I ran that way for a while. And yes any time you use any graphic "features" you add overhead. Welcome to the real world--that's how it works. If you want alpha-blending and animated menus your video card is gonna have to do more work. If you don't like it turn it off. It really is quite simple.

XP has all the stability of 2000 plus all the ease of use that the 9x paltform was working towards. Pro and Home are the EXACT same OS'es. Pro simply comes with extra features. I haven't heard of anything that 2000 doesn't that XP can't

Re: Thanks for all the replies

Originally posted by JHunter
:cheese: Hmm I just wanted to know why is it people say Windows XP will run better on a P4, and Windows 2K will run better on an AMD? Can anyone enlighten me on these statements? :rolling:

Because there speaking out of there asses.

It would be tight if MS put out variations of their OS for hardcore gamers. A properly configured version of XP could get at least 10-15 fps more out of most games than a standard install of XP. It's amazing how much useless crap is actually running in the backround of XP.

Back