[WIP] dm_dockside

switch

Tank
Reaction score
First off, this is my first map after following 2 vid tutorials and making 2 simple rooms so be kind with comments.

Been working on this map friday evening and tonight and only really see finishing it if there is any interest in the map.
It is quite unfinish and contains a fair few bugs (even having squashed many tonight)

Pics:
dm_dockside-a20000.jpg

dm_dockside-a20004.jpg

dm_dockside-a20001.jpg

dm_dockside-a20006.jpg

dm_dockside-a20002.jpg

dm_dockside-a20003.jpg

dm_dockside-a20009.jpg

dm_dockside-a20008.jpg

dm_dockside-a20007.jpg

It's still fun to play in its unfinished state, and if people like it I will get onto finishing it.

Suggestions on improving it are also welcome.

Here is the current state of the map (Alpha2)
dm_dockside-a2 (2.3MB)

For some reason its 11MB unzipped, even tho it was around 3 some versions ago.

Thanks for viewing.

Looks nice. You might want to work on the lighting though, have a lighter colour, because seeing yellow everywhere is a bit harsh.

-Viper- said:
Looks nice. You might want to work on the lighting though, have a lighter colour, because seeing yellow everywhere is a bit harsh.

Yeh, I think I might just have the lamp posts have yellow lights, the lights on the beach are just temp as a friend was rushing me to compile and didnt have time to set up decent lights.

Might always go back to daytime lighting, easier that way.

Personally I like the lighting. I definately think you should keep it at night like this - you've got quite a bit of contrast which is great. Don't know how it plays of course but it looks pretty nice.

Looks pretty fine to me, to be honest. A nice 3D skybox would finish off nicely. Stick with that lighting - I love it.

It looks cool, the design with those containers is also clever

i like it. only thing that i would recommend is having a 3d skybox, so that it doesn't look like its floating above everything. maybe some distant mountains

poseyjmac said:
i like it. only thing that i would recommend is having a 3d skybox, so that it doesn't look like its floating above everything. maybe some distant mountains

I agree, the skybox will be the next thing on my list. Just been confused as to how its going to be done well content wise. I think I'll load up a canal map in HL2 and see how Valve pulled them off.

Thanks for the comments so far guys much appreciated.

For anyone who's played it what do you think about the layout ect?
Is it too straight?
Should I add some sewers underneath?
How do you think it would play with lots of players?

Thanks.

Thanks for the great crits chriscanadian. Nice of you to take some time to document the bugs, I have tried to fix all of them, but some remain unfixed such as the cars. At the moment I am creating a 3D skybox so should have a nearly finished version ready soon :)

Is there a way to open your download in Hammer so I might could look at how you did some things?

If not, no problem and it looks great :). I'm waaaay below you so far!

Timech

timech187 said:
Is there a way to open your download in Hammer so I might could look at how you did some things?

If not, no problem and it looks great :). I'm waaaay below you so far!

Timech

Here is the map from a few hours ago.

Hopefully should work, be aware that just because I have done something a certain way it doesnt mean its right or the best way to go about doing something. :)

Trying to do a decent 3D skybox at the moment but it sucks :(

Only suggestion I can make so far, without making any major critisms is the make the access to different tiers less "contrived" .The sheets permitting access to the containers are too exact I think, propped barrels, or other debris, or anything for that matter would look better.

Looks good though :)

chriscanadian said:
Where did you download that?
Was by woodbulb posted here: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49356 was a 20ish meg file so I made it a 500kb file and hosted it for him.

Wolv34ine said:
Only suggestion I can make so far, without making any major critisms is the make the access to different tiers less "contrived" .The sheets permitting access to the containers are too exact I think, propped barrels, or other debris, or anything for that matter would look better.

Looks good though :)
Thanks a lot for the suggestions, I will definitelly take them into account and look at ways of making it look more natural.

As for the maps progress, well I hit a brick wall for the 2 days, did a big update with lots of changes, a test skybox and some hint brushes.

However the map crashed due to memory problems, I thought for ages this was a skybox issue but nothing seemed to fix it, ended up having a map with a 1hour compile time :(.

Found out what was the problem after deleting bits at a time and compiling, the hint brushes didnt seem to work anymore (worked before the update).

Anyway, I will try for a playable release tomorrow.

EDIT: BTW Wolverine, I am up for major crits too :p Will giv me a good idea of what design decisions to make in the future.

Back