[WIP]dm_unnamed (how original) *Screens inside*

Uh-Oh

Reaction score
I've been working on this map on and off since the beginning of the holidays. It will be the first map I release. I've been testing it alot for annoyances (like funky ladders and sticky walls). There is one last room to be built, as well as one additional vent.

After that, it's off to beta testing (it will be on a friends server). Once the gameplay is good, I'll add a few sounds and special effects.

Here are some screenshots, any comments are appreciated. Thank you and have a nice day.

dm_beta1_01.jpg

dm_beta1_02.jpg

dm_beta1_07.jpg

dm_beta1_03.jpg

dm_beta1_04.jpg

dm_beta1_05.jpg

dm_beta1_06.jpg

dm_beta1_08.jpg

I really like it. It has a nice atmosphere. I would love to check it out. :D

Only fault I can see is in the dining room area (http://robertapril.no-ip.org/images/dm_beta1_02.jpg)

The circular pillar in the centre of the room doesn't look very circular. Either I haven't noticed it before or all other maps that have similar features use perfectly round cylinders to create pillars.

Other than that I agree with |Ben| - it's looking great :D

Really nice, you need to put the pillar in a smooth group though

I don't like the atmosphere, but i I think it's a good map. Keep it up! :D

Chris_D said:
Only fault I can see is in the dining room area (http://robertapril.no-ip.org/images/dm_beta1_02.jpg)

The circular pillar in the centre of the room doesn't look very circular. Either I haven't noticed it before or all other maps that have similar features use perfectly round cylinders to create pillars.

Other than that I agree with |Ben| - it's looking great :D

I was also wondering about that. I'm gonna have to check into it.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Yes, it's heavy on physics objects, but the map is small.

The feel of the map is pretty simple: It's loosely based on one of my old jobs.

There's a locker room, a cafeteria, a machine room, a restroom (not finished) and a room that connects all of these.... Simple design. I hope the physics will play a big part.

Looks great! (but give the pillars a smooth group)

One thing thoug, doors in a DM map? Not so sure if that's going to work well.

What is the location of this map?

Is it a factory or something?

PvtRyan said:
Looks great! (but give the pillars a smooth group)

One thing thoug, doors in a DM map? Not so sure if that's going to work well.

Me being a neophyte to mapping, how does one do such things (smooth groups. The Verc is down right now and I can't find any explanation other than what it actually does).

As for the doors, yes, I thought about it while taking a shower this morning. I'm gonna take them out, but I'm still worried that the doorways will be too narrow for DM style of play. Oh well, I'll beta test it this week and I'll see.

The setting: A type of factory (it looks ALOT like a place where I used to work).

That looks more of a cs:s maps, with the layout of the rooms and all.. looks a bit too tight for DMing.. but nice work.

I love the floor textures you chose for the first two shots. Those are the most realistic and detailed floor textures I saw in Half-Life 2. Glad to see someone using them.

I took out the doors. I changed the middle section alot. I still need to learn how to do the 2 following:

-Breakable glass that is like HL2. I'm currently using func_breakables and it doesn't look as good.
-How to fix my lighting problems on the curved surfaces (someone mentioned smooth groups... need to learn how to do that).

New screenshots will be up tomorrow. Beta test ETA :48 hours.

Looks nice so far :)

To create a smoothing group, click the face edit tool, select the faces of the pillar, click smoothing groups and assign them a number.

cb101 said:
Looks nice so far :)

To create a smoothing group, click the face edit tool, select the faces of the pillar, click smoothing groups and assign them a number.

I've googled around to find out how to use these smooth groups, but I have found nothing. Where is this face edit tool? The only place I found the smooth groups is when you right click on the title of one of the viewport.

Too bad the Verc is down.

It looks great, although the architecture would make one think it was a dark and gritty place, yet the lighting makes it seem almost cheery in places.

The general look is great and although I haven't played it, it looks like it will flow well. Good job.

Nice work Uh-Oh ! I'm excited to test it with you! :)

How many people the map will support?

cya

:naughty:

Uh-Oh said:
I've googled around to find out how to use these smooth groups, but I have found nothing. Where is this face edit tool? The only place I found the smooth groups is when you right click on the title of one of the viewport.

Too bad the Verc is down.

Shift + A (Toggle texture application)

Back