WIP-thread.

Map I am making for my mod, still very much a wip.
deadfarmhouse00314ri.jpg

Ti133700N said:
omg! The shadow of death! In the middle of the bathroom!
Haha

I think its starting to look better. But it seems a little dark, maybe its just me?

So true.
May be the game making the pics darker when it get saved too.

Ok, good for the WIP Thread. I don't see a reason to post wip images in its individual thread, unless you are actually releasing the map or there is a sub-forum for that.

This is my first map for CSS and its about 60-75% complete. Still alot of work to be done.

de_overpass-aug5_02.jpg

de_overpass-aug5_03.jpg

de_overpass-aug5_01.jpg

I'd recommend curving some of the corners of the buildings and adding a little more detail... also the displacements are a bit big, for a little park thing, I'd make them a bit less rough.

Other than that it's lookin' real good.

Looking nice, 3d_kgb. The shadows on the last pic are a bit funky.

@DjBourgeoisie:
Amazing... the atmosphere you created is simply stunning!

@Navyseal2004:
Classy bathroom, I love it!

Un update. Crits welcome. I'm running out of ideas in terms of what details to add, so if you think of anything that will make the map look better, do tell.
westgroup6vy.jpg

westgroup24li.jpg

westgroup37om.jpg

@kirschtorte

If you want to increase graphical beauty, look at de_dust. Hve some of those twirling sandclouds in the maps. In the canyon it would look great.

Perhaps you can increase the complexity of the geometry of the houses: perhaps some rounded corners... not entirely straight walls.
Take the whote church for example.. make the edges softer, make on side slightly higher the the other, add wooden poles sticking out a bit at the corners.. etc

The texture of the edges of the roofs... change them. I never see rooftiles on the sides ;)

Dirt up some textures... like the colored flags in town, make them a little bit more dirty, or pale, or torn...
For the rest, I'd say take the dust into account. Add dust decals on that red floor around the fountain, and more dust particles/fog like I said earlier...

dude change the texture of the floor around the fountain- it looks soooo out of place.

commin soon uptede of my SP map - hopefully it wont be crap :p

agreed... i was like man this map looks SWEET!!.... the i was like "WTF is that texture looks like somthing spot would wear out of super ted"

Thanks for the crits guys. Which one of these textures do you think is better for the tiles?
tiletest30dp.jpg

yeah, I like the first one also. Here's what it looks like in-game. It came out a bit too bright, but I'll work on that.
dewesttestv100020wr.jpg

incredibly boxy but not too bad.

Yeah, maybe if you can darken the texture or something... it stands out quite bad. But the texture is definately the best.

Use displacements instead and use a blend texture (that carpet + sand/dirt).

I've started early development on a few NS:Source map projects.

The first of which is a dynamic NS map, which will house several map specific variables that the players can interact with.

I really don't want to show too much...mainly because I don't have many textures or prop/models to work with.

3.JPG

openposition.JPG

These are early concept work[I do concept in hammer...because it allows me to adapt a likely final product easier]. Textures arn't final--nor is geometry.

This is a base marine start CC carrying unit. It will be dynamic to allow a protective "skin" around the Command Chair. To flow with balance, aliens will have the ability inside if its inclosed, it will just be through a series of vents.

The second picture is its current ideal open position, that functions nicely with proper sound effects when opened/closed/moving.

The main NS map project right now is called NSource_Liquify.

The ideal goal is to make a flooded marine based infested by the 3 arch/hive locations. The dynamic goal is to allow primary locations to become flooded. The logical requirement being that a room is sealed before flooding[unless mapped otherwise].

Nice Job on the maps btw...look awesome.

/me crys without nss textures/props

kirschtorte that map looks incredibly sexy. A bit boxy on the detail, but the housing is perfect.

Pesmerga said:
kirschtorte that map looks incredibly sexy. A bit boxy on the detail, but the housing is perfect.

Yeah It'd be even better if he got some custom textures. Right now it looks like the new de_inferno out in a desert.

Thanks Pesmerga. I totally re-did B-site, and I've been trying to make it less boxy. I think it looks a lot better now. I also added some dust clouds. You can't see it that well in the screenshot, but it looks good ingame. Also, FYI I have atleast 30 custom textures excluding the textures I made for all the custom models, of which there are about 15 that I'm keeping in the map so far. I understand the crit Limpet, but I'm doing my best and there's a lot of work that dosn't show in the screens, or even ingame. Whoever can make quality maps like the Valve ones deserves respect. Anyways, here's some pictures:
dewesttestbsite4xm.jpg

cs_cove

this is my new map I started yesterday so its only in very very early stages. I plan to do it all with basics and then go back and finish it off properly. The idea is its a raid on sum terrorisits who have a smuggling operation and capture sum hostages. Basically the cts arrive on the boat and have to fight their way up through the cliff to the hostages. There will be many hidden passageways like underwater and in the rocks. The level consists of a docking bay where the cts start a main kind of warehouse in the cliff a supply road winding up through the cliff. There will eb an accomodation block above the ct spawn point overlooking the bay. this is where the terrorists will start. there is going to be a lift goin g up though all the level in the cliff eventually going up to the surface where there will be a bunker like structure. I am trying to achieve a prodigey feel with some aspects of assault. There will eb ventilation ducts in the underground area. the hostages will be held in a prison near the accomodation area. There will also be a control centre near the warehouse (the furthest away cave in the picture.) The cliffs themselves I think look quite good. But they are not finished yet there will be sea arches and stacks in the bay to add to the effect and a tropical island in the distance. I might have the de_destroyer ship as a prop for the skybox. The cts will have to guide the hostages to the docking area. Ther ewill bea kind of tropical jungle feel on the surface. with barbed wire fences surrounding the terrorist compund and sentry towers. here are the images of it so far this is from yesterday and plz note that thiese are NOT final. they are not up to standard yet just to give you an idea for the layout and theme of the level.
cliff10000.jpg

cliff10001.jpg

cliff10002.jpg

Thank you for looking and any useful comments would be apreciated.

crap i forgot to resize them sorry ppl. NIce map btw but i can see what he means when he say it looks like inferno. the skybox looks a bit plain to me but very nice work.

kirschtorte said:
Thanks Pesmerga. I totally re-did B-site, and I've been trying to make it less boxy. I think it looks a lot better now. I also added some dust clouds. You can't see it that well in the screenshot, but it looks good ingame. Also, FYI I have atleast 30 custom textures excluding the textures I made for all the custom models, of which there are about 15 that I'm keeping in the map so far. I understand the crit Limpet, but I'm doing my best and there's a lot of work that dosn't show in the screens, or even ingame. Whoever can make quality maps like the Valve ones deserves respect. Anyways, here's some pictures:

I understand, and it really wasn't so much a crit as it is wishful thinking at this point. And I agree with everyone else, the bomb site looks much better now. (and yet still more like inferno :p)

Oh well, it's supposed to look Mexican\Wild Westish, and since Inferno is in Mexico, as far as I know, I suppose I succeeded at making it look Mexican. I will still look into working on some more models and textures so it has a more original feel to it.

Twinsen-
If I understand your decription correctly, it could be a very cool map. Are you going to model that boat at the CT spawn? Cause it would look a lot better than brushes. The block-negetive spaces in the cliffs need to look a lot more natural, like more cracks and rocks and such, but I'm sure you were going to do that anyway. I also think it would be cool to have caves leading from the CT warehouse up to the top, rather than ventilation shafts. anyways, it's still pretty early to give more crits, so keep working on it.

thnx for the comment i was planning on having a road a lift vent shafts and a small corridor going to the upper levels. and you see the boat at ct spawn i cant model tht because i dont have a model creating package. otherwise i wud. also the holes in the cliff are for caves like the one at ct spawn and i will displace them so they blend in more. Thank you for your comments.:cheers: U see the garage door tht leads to a road which gos up to the top of the cliff. Like in cs_siege. I cant do custom models but will do custom textures.

kirschtorte said:
Oh well, it's supposed to look Mexican\Wild Westish, and since Inferno is in Mexico, as far as I know, I suppose I succeeded at making it look Mexican. I will still look into working on some more models and textures so it has a more original feel to it.

I didn't know that, I guess its the map description, just never read it. I just assumed it was another map based in a European country like Italy or something.

Good work, anywho. :thumbs:

Back