WIP tube station

F

fatdave

I was just thinking wouldn't it be cool if you had a tube station (its an underground train system found in London - call it a subway whatever you want)... At present i am working on the geometry...plus i really want the vent to open like a physics door type thing... am i alright using a normal physbox or do i have to go with the low res (physics wise) physbox_multiplayer? Or should i just make it a breakable vent? anyway.. time for some screens :) . (BTW i am new to mapping...well sort of (first real level that works but tried since HL to make a decent map), and this isn't based on any real tube station and the train needs a custom texture doing but does it look any good?

Attachments

• trainstation20000.jpg
    trainstation20000.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 494
  • trainstation20002.jpg
    trainstation20002.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 457
  • trainstation20003.jpg
    trainstation20003.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 403
  • trainstation20006.jpg
    trainstation20006.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 457
oh and there is another platform but it needs a lot more work on it to make it up to the standards of platform 1 :( but the ts start in around the train (the hossies are in the train) and the cts start in the toll bit that hasn't been made yet. I know it needs a lot of work but i think it'll be good fun, what do you think? I take all sorts of criticism, even entirely deconstructive stuff.

Keep with the basics and it's allways a good idea to playtest the map with a few friends to get a feel for it.

Your wall textures could use some redoing. Consider replacing the lights with something a litt more appropriate - flourescent tubes perhaps?

Also, the empty rectangular prism look is kind of boring. Add some simple pillars, itll really pump the look.

Your wall textures could use some redoing. Consider replacing the lights with something a litt more appropriate - flourescent tubes perhaps?

Also, the empty rectangular prism look is kind of boring. Add some simple pillars, itll really pump the look.

good critique, totally agree.

also, i recommend something more then just the basic box room. You also might consider putting a nice frame around the doors and such.

http://www.planetunreal.com/rahnem/images/slam/Shot03_l.jpg

Notice what this guy did, put stuff all over the place, the walls have different heights, their are pipes and fences and railings, interesting door frames, different colored lights, lots of texture, variations in the floor and ceiling etc...

btw: Sorry for double post

detail makes a good map, with a little love of course

p.s - I like your escalator

lol the escalators are the bits which need the most work imo but i think that when i get my custom textures in they should begin to look better. Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Thanks i knew they were missing something - that big room was kind of boring. Pillars are exactly what it needs. Thanks again all :)

thats looking great m8!
try and make it a bit lighter tho..if you can.. well done :D

thanks for all the positive feedback :) thanks. Yes I agree that the platform could do with being lighter and I am adding some tube lights to it. I think it should work out well.

*edit* come on bring the negative feedback you lot are too nice on me :)

A suggestion for the escalator railings: the rounded bottom is very blocky. To achieve the desired effect you might want to consider using a model instead. That way they can have more polys and look much rounder.

add some graffiti decals and 3d-itize the room, frames and whatnot.

Don't make it look like that UT screenshot though, horrifically jumbled!

A suggestion for the escalator railings: the rounded bottom is very blocky. To achieve the desired effect you might want to consider using a model instead. That way they can have more polys and look much rounder.

yes... i was considering that but im not too sure how to do that... i presume i do that in something that can export smd files right? Im sure theres other topics on this so ill look there.

add some graffiti decals and 3d-itize the room, frames and whatnot.

Don't make it look like that UT screenshot though, horrifically jumbled!

Thanks, i had doors where im thinking and I was about to add a tube light over the doors, but the frame is a nice idea. But i know what you mean about the UT screenshot, but that works for a UT map but it won't go that far. The benches were put in too make it a little more believable, some posters will also be put up in the underground section. But it wont be like that ut map, honest.

Back