Wip: Ump

Dalith

Reaction score
Hello!

Thought I could give it a shot and try to model my first gun!!!
My choice was UMP.
To be honest, when I first started I thought it would look so bad but it doesn't look that bad now. I tried to learn how to low poly model but my scene has 28 objects(ROFL?) and Triangles of 12664 (ROFL?).

When I were done modelling, I just choosed all objects and beveled them to make the corners smoother, was that right thing to do? lol.

WIPgun.jpg

Now I just need to find a UW map tutorial

hi there,

for a first model looking v.good. some errors on the smoothing round the grip.. but with some work could be put right. :D keep it up.

Eddie

well, with the polycount you are about 10k over the limit :p, and tbh, it looks like it only has 2k in it. whats this about bevelling everything, and could we please have a wireframe ?

ok, wireframe.
wireframe.JPG

The reason I used bevel is to smooth the edges, 'cause I didn't use any smoothing groups

ok, looking at the wire, theres a lot of wasted polies. mainly in the areas of the grips, and the reciever. try welding the verts together on the back of the handle and other stuff like that.

excuse me?

about the model: where the hell did you hide that 12k tris when even the stock and more complex sights are missing? mine had less while having all that plus that two cooling holes in the front and a mesh-smoothed grip
mata.gif

but hey, everybody started modelling once ;) keep practicing

@Recoil
Excuse me? (sry had to, rofl)
Maybe you don't see relatively good or whatnot.
But if you looked carefully you might have noticed it.
And I don't really care what you had on yours. I'm not going for precise, this is just practice.

gun4.JPG

@Everyone else
Instead of beveling the edges, what should I have done?
I mean, after I was done with all the objects, they were all hard edged and I wanted it to look smoother. Should I have used smoothed groups or what?
I don't know XSI that well yet, waiting for my star on 3dbuzz.

well first off the beveled edges have 3 segments were you could of had one without problem. and second. u dont need to bevel come on =) practice to round off edges manually, there are modeling tutorials that will give you ideas on how

Apologies for the previous post, I left this thread open while I went to the toilet and when I returned my sister was sitting at my computer. You can guess what happened and if any mod wants to delete the above post, please do, wouldn't want to break my post a month ratio.

Since I don't want to waste another post and prefer staying on the topic, I'll comment on the model. It's good for a beginner but that is the wrong way to make a model look better.

Remove the beveling on the model and show us the actual low poly model and count. If u want to add more detail then model it. There's grooves, holes, switches, etc. missing.

Nice start but take it further. :)

Dalith... that excuse me was related to TeeJays previous post...

And yes, maybe I really AM seeing badly... I apologize for not seeing all those clearly visible lines in that wireframe picture...
rolleyes.gif

So, my post was no offense and stuff... this was your first model... fine. Keep that working up. Just like I said few posts before... ;)

btw, in your first post, you say you tried to low poly model, but then go on to say you have 12000 polies in your scene...thats doesnt really make sense.

PS. if you want to make it smooth, then you need to add a MeshSmooth ( in Max ) type thing, but i dont know if there is one in XSI

I dont think meshsmooth will work, will make it look like a knoted balloon gun by a clown :p. i think, the bevel isnt a bad idear, but it must be done in moderation and at the right points. There are so many areas that you have beveled which, IMO are not needed, ie the barrel, frount of the grip and generaly all over. It looks to me as though you have just selected all the edges on the hole model and beveled 3 or 4 times.

Totally correct fishymumma, I realized I beveled useless edges.
I put the ump at the side and started on a glock, which currently is on 466polygons.
And will start to bevel the edges were it's necessary.

when you say bevel, i think you mean chamfer, but thats beside the point. if you are trying to create a game model, then the way you should do it is to start off with around the same amount of polies you want to end up with, not make a lowpoly version and then smooth it off with the chamfer or bevel tools. on the other hand, if youre trying to create a high poly and high deatail, then a similar method should be used. so you start off with a model about the same detail as a game model, then chamfer the edges according to the sharpness, then apply a MeshSmooth or the equivalent to your model.

bevel :eek: hehe i mean chamfer :p hehehe i just said bevel coz thats what everyone elce said hehe im such a conformist

In XSI it's "Bevel Components".. the thing that adds an extra edge to smoothen it?
So I know we're talking about the same thing. :p

Yeah, bevel basically divides an edge, chamfer vertex splits a vertex into a few, so if you use it on a corner vertex the corner ends up being a polygon.

well in Max, what me and fishy are referring to, the bevel tool is used on polygons, and extrudes, then resizes the polygon selected.

*Confused*
Anyways, I put this aside and left it to die. I didn't get it as I wanted, and I have no idea what chamfer is. I know what bevel is, though. :)

Anyways, couldn't someone skiss some picture up on what parts should be single objects and etc. Like the handle should be one, and maybe the trigger and whatever. Because I'm a totally newb and relaly need help with this. And Munro is slow on hosting the wep tutorial vtms that IchI made

Bah, my fingers started to itch, I wanted to modell so bad so I started over, going for more detailed now. :)

(This is how it looks so far, ignore the hole between the 3 edges :D)
progress.jpg

I'm not a modeler, but I am trying to learn to use XSI anyway. I like what you've done with the gun. It's cool :) I still am trying to get through all the fundamental tutorials a few times. Took me forever to do that boombox tutorial. *sigh*

Thanks Rogue, just hang in there. That's what I did and look were it got me. :p

Anyways, I think I finished the model, this is what I got so far:
ok.jpg

I tried to do a nice render, but I suck at it:
UMP.jpg

yes you do suck ;) not bad i guess, still can't see where those polys are hiding

Like I said, I remade the model, this one is 4k polys. :p

Back