Wireless Networking Question

BinaryBanzai

Reaction score
I am currently on 56k (have been for over a year), and cable is finally available. Well, I was curious, how many actual networking devices do I need to purchase? From what I've gathered, I need the actual cable modem, a router, and another router. I only have two (working) computers in my house, so does anyone have any suggestions on which modem and routers I should buy? Also, is there a modem/router all-in-one, so I only have to purchase two pieces of equipment? Thanks.

your cable ISP isn't providing you with a modem? they should. if you're looking to go wireless then you just need one wireless router. you'll hook the ethernet cable coming from the cable modem into the WAN/internet port on the wireless router. from there you can connect devices wirelessly and up to 4 computers or devices hardwired.

I'm currently using a wlreless setup with a wireless linksys adsl router, works great. Got 2 pc's connected most of the time and when my dad brings his lappy home from work he uses that too wirelessly. PSP's too :p

EDIT: If you do decide to go wireless, look into it before you do buy anything. Check out reviews etc to see how good the stuff is, some of them are pretty unreliable with regards to there connection.

Should I go LINKSYS or D-Link? I've heard both good and bad about each of them.

Back