Wish DOG stayed on longer.

G

GordonInOrbit

Dog appears exactly three times in the game.

Black Mesa East .. during the gravity gun demo

Anticitizen One .. Start of the stage.. (less than 5 mins)
I love what he does. I play this scene to my friends everytime i wanna show off my graphics card and surround speakers.

Follow Freeman.. End of the stage (less than 5 mins again)
After very brief combat, He opens up a path to the citadel.

I really wish Dog had more screen time. I'd love to fight along Dog for an entire stage complete with Gunships, Striders, Manhacks..

I can imagine Dog shooing away manhacks like flies..

Can the modders make a small level with Dog fighting alongside Gordon?

Less than 5 minutes is an overestimate. The scene in Anticitizen One lasts maybe a minute. The one where he opens the hole to the citadel is even shorter. Heck, he might have about 5 minutes total screentime in the whole game.

The gravity gun demo must have been 5mins atleast. Remember Dog has no ai so if a level is made with dog in it all his actions will be scripted.

B-MAn said:
The gravity gun demo must have been 5mins atleast. Remember Dog has no ai so if a level is made with dog in it all his actions will be scripted.

The gravity gun demo showcases some rudimentary DOG AI. Very little of that sequence is scripted, you can throw that ball anywhere and DOG we'll go get it!

Anyway, yeah, hopefully we'll see more of DOG in Aftermath.

Dog is the most underdeveloped character in the game. He has a lot of potential. He could spawn a comic strip .. just Alyx and Dog .. the growing up years in City 17

i can imagine Animatrix style animation (especially the matriculated episode) featuring Alyx and Dog.

Then they should have scripted more DOG scenes
I'd guess that the Dog sections were amoung the most animator-intensive sections of the whole game.

I'd also imagine that developing proper combat AI for Dog would have delayed the game another few months.

We got as much as they could do.

The striders have amazing AI. The scenes where the follow you around City 17 building wrecks and how they bend their legs to look lower, kinda like giraffe, are simply awesome. If they could incorporate the same AI to Dog, he'd make a great ally.

he was used very little, but the scenes he was in he stole. he was a great character and i have a feeling he'll get a lot more scenes in aftermath.

I doubt Dog can be killed by mere bullets. But with a laser thingy...

You wish Dog had more screentime?

I wish the friggin g-man had more screen time! He's easily the coolest character, but his coolness is directly related to his rare appearances paradoxically....it's like the smoking man in the X-files...they just overdid him by the end and ruined his cool character.

Strider AI?

GordonInOrbit said:
The striders have amazing AI. The scenes where the follow you around City 17 building wrecks and how they bend their legs to look lower, kinda like giraffe, are simply awesome. If they could incorporate the same AI to Dog, he'd make a great ally.

I don't know - The striders only walk in scripted paths. They will occasionally decide to crouch, but besides that, they walk in their little path and only use their alternate fire when you walk over triggers. That is, however, an amazing display of the game engine the way their legs work in and around the different terrain. It's tough to do right - I've played a couple of mods with striders and sometimes the legs do funny things.

Back