working map

barnacle

Reaction score
Could a map maker make a map the does something, for example, you shoot a board of wood holding up a barrel, the barrel falls and lands on a teeter totter thing, launches a brick through the air that lands in a bucket, and weighs down the rope the bucket is tied to, raises a metal sheet, which allows the cans to roll down into the box.And many cool contraptions could be made.

i think its possible due to the badass physics.... it would be uber cool to see something like that funky honda advert!

People have already done stuff like that with the stolen build. Which makes me cry, since modding the stolen build = meh.

People are too impatient these days ;(

mabey some one will do a mod call crazy constructions or somthing, like there is 4 players and four rooms filled with things that they can use to like make things that ex/ open doors, drop balls into basckets and such. the craieziest one wins! :)

that could be a good idea.

or a small map full of a crap load of traps :naughty:

Exactly, like having light fixtures and being able to shoot them and falling on the enemy, which distracts them and you lobe a nade...

maybe you can change the AI of alyx so that she starts cycling when she sees a banana, or make barney walk in a threadmill when he gets hit or a cat is nearby...

DeltaBlast said:
maybe you can change the AI of alyx so that she starts cycling when she sees a banana, or make barney walk in a threadmill when he gets hit or a cat is nearby...

ahh, so you've played the incredible machine too?! :)

bliink said:
ahh, so you've played the incredible machine too?! :)
SUCH a good game.

As said, yes, this is possible to do.

And it kicks major arse!

yes.... and I know it not becouse of the stolen build people are illegally playing and trying out. But becouse of the many emails valve has answered regaurding the abilities of the source engine. And the E3 demo's

I think someone asked about this in an email and Valve (can't remember which one of them tough) said that it would be doable, altough since all those things won't fly the exact same way all the times it would be better to script it.

I guess they are right, since if the physics is realistic then these things would apply, try making something like that in reality, things don't fly the exact same way every time.

barnacle said:
Could a map maker make a map the does something, for example, you shoot a board of wood holding up a barrel, the barrel falls and lands on a teeter totter thing, launches a brick through the air that lands in a bucket, and weighs down the rope the bucket is tied to, raises a metal sheet, which allows the cans to roll down into the box.And many cool contraptions could be made.

there is only one word to explain what barnicle said.Insanity !!!!!
Barnicle is crazy abt Source engine. What he told is really possible, according to Gabe.Gabe said that the game hl2 can be breifly classified as "WHAT U SEE IS WHAT U GET...".Barnicle u have got graet creativity.Keep it up.

I guess they are right, since if the physics is realistic then these things would apply, try making something like that in reality, things don't fly the exact same way every time.
That's because of changing circumstances, in a game it would always be the same so the physics SHOULD be the exact same every time. However, due to how inaccurate floating-point precision is, and the shortcuts they have to use to make Havok run well, it won't fly the same way every time. This isn't something they put in on purpose.
You should call it "Rube Goldberg"

Back