Working Out?

i go to the gym as often as possible since i joined about two months back. usually i'll run a mile to warm up before lifting weights. last night i ran a 5k before my bicep/tricep workout. tough.

How do you people find the motivation to do all these exercises? most people get fat unhealthy and ugly (like moi) because they are too lazy to do it all, once i did 10 push ups and i thought.. hmm, cant be arsed with this, il try not to drink so much beer/eat so much chocolate etc, but it doesnt help... all the food sold is bad for you thats convenient.

oldagerocker said:
How do you people find the motivation to do all these exercises? most people get fat unhealthy and ugly (like moi) because they are too lazy to do it all, once i did 10 push ups and i thought.. hmm, cant be arsed with this, il try not to drink so much beer/eat so much chocolate etc, but it doesnt help... all the food sold is bad for you thats convenient.

Everyone gets their motivation from one thing or another. I, myself, was sort of obsessed with a girl, and I thought by loosing my excess 100lbs, but here I am, 110lbs lighter, and I never got the girl; although, I am glad to be in shape..

oldagerocker said:

i get motivation by reading about bruce lee, or even seeing pictures of him. his passion and dedication to physical training rubbed off on me in a big way.

WhiteBoy said:
Everyone gets their motivation from one thing or another. I, myself, was sort of obsessed with a girl, and I thought by loosing my excess 100lbs, but here I am, 110lbs lighter, and I never got the girl; although, I am glad to be in shape..

I totally agree with the last part. Alot of people start working out for one reason or another, but end up finding out they just like doing it. One of the greatest rewards for exercise is improved mental health. I know it sounds like a bunch of hippy nonsense, but it's true!

Anyways for working out it is important to include a good all-around exercise like running, and you can target specific areas of your body too. Something to remember when lifting weights is if you want muscle mass do fewer heavy reps (within reason, don't push it) and if you want tone do several lighter reps.

I try to go to the gym every day. It's hard to it becuase of the distance I have to travel to get to the place. It's worth while and once I get there I enjoy it. It's all about getting over the mental hurdle and once that's done the rest is dedication. I started becuase I wanted to get in shape for my wedding. Went a little down hoill afterwards but now I'm back on the wagon so to speak. Give me another 12 months and I should be at my 'ideal'.

[EDIT] Oh yeah, eating healthily is a must. There's no point working out if you don't eat properly. You'll end up making yourself sick. If you want to loose weight get on a healthy eating plan that can be used in conjunction with an exercise regime.

once i'm at uni with my house, il eat what i like. its hard at home when mum buys all the food and when she dosnt buy the food, it's just easier to buy quick to cook foods like super-noodles. and packets of buscuits.
i was thinking of taking up running as i cant afford to go to the gym, anyone got any tips on how to build myself up to a run? if i run straight out then il get to the end of the road, feel really tired and probably sick, and stagger home panting...!

oldagerocker said:

Its just...enjoyable. honestly, there isnt satisfaction quite like coming home from a hard workout. Exercise genuinly helps with getting rid of depression. Humans simply weren't made to sit around all day. When I get back from my nightly bike ride, I just feel fired up and it sets me up for a really good nights sleep. I wake up in the morning, feeling really good about myself. Anything bad that happened the other day was worked out of my system. Heh, I actually ride up a couple of very large hills, so its really hard work going but on the way back I sail down them at something like 30 miles per hour, even faster sometimes. When you are on a peddle bike, that feels fast. I actually tried that thing where you stick your arms out, close your eyes and tip your head back. It feels amazing, but the road I do it on is big and very dead at that time of night. Its also got no bends in it.

Edit: Get a bike. I know most of you don't want to hear this, but I was in the shower the other day and I actually noticed my legs looked visibly stonger, and less "wobbly". Then I of course checked out my arse :D Which also has less fat, and is a much more...pleasing shape:D(So I'm told ;)). In fact another week and I reckon my lower half will be in "good shape" as opposed to "meh, it will suffice"

lol i got a great bike when i was 16... and ive used it twice lol.. il have to take it out and cycle some more... !!

I have been doing weights and upper strengh exercises for a fair while now. Starting a while ago when i first started doing matial arts.

I can now do 100 pressups in one go. :)
Allthough I used to manage 125... Oh and I dont mean sissy pressups :p

I do other stuff too... but I dont have time to mention em atm. Gona go play CS:S with some other hl2.neters.... :p

Back