World Jump Day

ZeeM

Reaction score
http://www.worldjumpday.org/

So according to that site, if 600000000 people jump at the west hemisphere on 20th July 2006 11.39.13 GMT at the same time, the earth will change its orbit which will "stop global warming, extend daytime hours and create a more homogenous climate". :dozey:

Ummm... Isn't there a law of physics that opposes this? Like how jumping in a falling elavator wouldn't work?

I consider this an act of terrorism.

Is that anything to do with the ridiculous suggestion that if everyone looked at the sun and burped, the earth would fall off its axis?

LOL. Yeah there is a law that prevents this - conservation of angular momentum. The overall Ang. Mom. of the earth will not change at all from this action.

I'm going to put this humourous website in my signature...it seems to be answering a lot of people's questions today.

EDIT: can't be bothered to make a signature until I find the best one-liner the world has ever seen.

I don't even know what homogenous means, but it sounds stupid. Apart from that, the entire site is in flash, which means they get 0 respect from me. Sorry Maldives, but roll on global warming.

ZeeM said:
http://www.worldjumpday.org/

So according to that site, if 600000000 people jump at the west hemisphere on 20th July 2006 11.39.13 GMT at the same time, the earth will change its orbit which will "stop global warming, extend daytime hours and create a more homogenous climate". :dozey:
Well hot damn...

My bullshit meter just blew up.

quick eastern hemosphere citizens the west is invading! counter their jump by jumping on the east too :p that will show them!!

So they have 66 million people that have joined? Yeah, sure.

no, they only got 65, almost 66, people to register :E

that's one of the lamest things I heard :p

The earth has a mass of 5.9742 × 10^24 kg. Average guy weighs 70 kg.

600 million * 70 kg = 42 billion kg or 4.2 X 10^9 kg.

That's almost 24 trillion times smaller than the earth's mass.

Shens said:

Yepp, they probably want your e-mail to send you advertising.

Theretically it could work if u had enough people in the right places but some people weigh more...some people jump harder and higher...some softer and lower...some would be off a little bit so it wouldnt work

MarcoPollo said:
Theretically it could work if u had enough people in the right places but some people weigh more...some people jump harder and higher...some softer and lower...some would be off a little bit so it wouldnt work

Where is this theory?

you're not doing anything though because when you jump you are pushing the earth down a microscopic amount and you go up a lot and when you fall back down, that's gravity pulling the earth back up a microscopic amount and you back down a lot. It just balances itself out. If we could somehow have 66 million people launch themselves into space at escape velocity (preferably the same 66 million who signed up for this idiotic scheme), then you could indeed seriously alter the earth's orbit.

Compare the weight of all the people sad enough to jump to the Earth. No way they could move it. What a load of bs.

vegeta897 said:
Ummm... Isn't there a law of physics that opposes this? Like how jumping in a falling elavator wouldn't work?

AhahaHHaaaHAhaa.

That made me laugh for some reason.

You're forgetting everyone who's going to be jumping on July 20th will have lead for brains, that's bound to add a few extra pounds! ;)

just get 3 sumos to jump.

*brushes hands together* problem solved :D

Ranga said:
just get 3 sumos to jump.

*brushes hands together* problem solved :D

Amen...I was about to suggest something instead of getting 60000000 or however many 0's....just get 100 fat people over 250lbs to do it

You don't make them jump you just push them off something such as a cliff

OMG, World Jump Day is on my birthday! What a great present! Changing the earth's orbit. :D

isnt there also that theory that if many people jump up and down at the same time it will cause an earthquake!>!?

If .6 billion jumped up the earth would move towards the people jumping due to the effects of gravity soo its not going to work cos the Eartyh would move ( up) but wehen everyone landed the earth would be pushed back again, however it may be equal movement it may not

goes of on tangent in head............

Shens said:

Yeah I was gonna say the same exact thing without any of the fancy math.

If this works... please god let it rock us out of orbit into the sun, for if a plan so inherently stupid could work.....

"If .6 billion jumped up the earth would move towards the people jumping due to the effects of gravity soo its not going to work cos the Eartyh would move ( up) but wehen everyone landed the earth would be pushed back again, however it may be equal movement it may not"

Look, the people gravatational pull would be minimal, although it would be possible, Im not sure if they can get enough people.

exactl what i said, tho yea im completly unsure if the enrgy woudl be equal or some disapates to other places air needing to be pushed out of the way for earth to move ( no the ozone would not move with cos it isnt attached to the earth the ozone layer would be pushed slightly due to a change in pressure tho it owuld be HORRIFICALLY MARGINAL) this is an interesting conversation :)

Extended daytime hours? **** that. That means I'd have to work longer every day.

they know ppl won`t do that thats why they`re not afraid saying it :p

hehe i;m going to ask my alevel physics teacher this question :D he already thinks i;m annoying because of my questions about the fourth dimension and now we can never reach the end of the universe blah blah...

As if this is going to work. Also if it does work wouldn't everyone have to try to jump at exactly the same time to make it work. Some people r going to jump on time. Some people will relise they miss the mark by 5 second. Some will forget about it because it next year and some will come to see how sad they r in doing this and choose not to jump.

B-MAn said:
hehe i;m going to ask my alevel physics teacher this question :D he already thinks i;m annoying because of my questions about the fourth dimension and now we can never reach the end of the universe blah blah...

Yeah, because your typical physics graduate doesn't learn about all that stuff, they learn more about what is actually real, and confirmed, with only a small amount of the unconfirmed theoretical thrown in.

So he's justifiably angry :p

Look, the people gravatational pull would be minimal, although it would be possible, Im not sure if they can get enough people.

Forces up=forces down

how about world stamp day? maybe, just maybe if we all stamp on the ground at the correct time the earth's crust will shatter and we will all die as bits of the earth float away from each other into space and the core of the earth spills out over everyone and fries them. yay.

no.

You don't need people jumping to move the earth, just a big enough lever.

To appreciate that joke you need to know of this quote:
"Give me a place to stand and i shall move the earth." -Archimedes.

they lie.. :S

It will put the earth out of balance, and will destroy the universe.. !!! KABOOOOOOOM...

(Nah.. just joking, sorry if i scared anyone ;) )

Joims said:
If .6 billion jumped up the earth would move towards the people jumping due to the effects of gravity soo its not going to work cos the Eartyh would move ( up) but wehen everyone landed the earth would be pushed back again, however it may be equal movement it may not

goes of on tangent in head............

wow, that's some poor physics. The whole point of jumping is that you are overcoming the force of gravity temporarily. When you jump, the earth is applying some force to you, upwards, and you are applying an equal ammount to the earth which unfortunatley weighs like100 trillion times what you do and so doesn't accelerate very appreciably. However this is a very short impulse. And gravity is a constant force so eventually it pulls you back down, and it is pulling the earth up the same amount so you both end up back where you were before. Basically it's the exact opposite of what you just said above. jumping pushes earth down, being in the air slows and then reverses the effect of that push, and landing brings things back to equilibrium.

Just picture the same thing on a large scale, imagine some gigantic person jumping on a tiny earth. And there is some sort of spring or elastic (gravity) pulling them together. Jumping up he would push the earth away from him but then coming back down the earth would return, net result is no movement.

Without shedding or gaining mass or having the local gravitational field or some other field such as magnetic change appreciably, it is impossible to change the trajectory of earth. We could possibly change the spin, say by constructing a giant train that would constantly run eastward around the circumference of the earth. but that's about it

why would they get people to jump???

why not crate some huge ass lead balls or something and let them fall to the earth simultaniously, why get people involve?

BWMASTER said:
why would they get people to jump???

why not crate some huge ass lead balls or something and let them fall to the earth simultaniously, why get people involve?

Huge ass lead balls cost money. People are free.

Back