Would it totally spoil everything if...

Would showing Gordon's face in an HL2 game be a betrayal of an important convention?

• Yes

Votes: 35 46.1%
  • No

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • Well, not totally.

Votes: 21 27.6%

• Total voters
Gordon isn't a character; he's a window. Gordon does not have any thoughts or feelings. You, the player, must project your thoughts onto him. You are Gordon Freeman, whatever you feel, he feels. Whatever you think, he thinks.

Yup that's exactly right. but as a player, how do we eventually interact with the characters? get to feel what he really should be feeling? It's the connection that feels absent, i think.

I think it would ruin the feeling of playing Gordon if we could actually SEE him. To me it would pull me out of the game instead of pulling me in. Same goes for if he spoke. It would totally ruin the feeling. I like the mute, faceless Gordon.

What if at the end of Episode three, you finally got to a place where there is a mirror hanging on a wall. You run past it at first, then back track a few steps. As you look into the mirror, your not looking into the face of Gordon Freeman... but the face of someone familiar to you... someone who has been haunting you since Black Mesa... the dark green eyes of the G-Man glare at you, as the face in the mirror smiles back at you with that evil sneer you hear these words in your head, G-Mans mouth unmoving; "Wake up Mr. Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes..."

You wake up in a cold sweat... and realize it was all just a dream... or was it?

Gordon = G-Man ... ok or not.

Well that would be the worst ending of all but meh.

For all we know, you COULD be the G-Man =) but that would be ridiculous.

I think it would ruin the feeling of playing Gordon if we could actually SEE him. To me it would pull me out of the game instead of pulling me in. Same goes for if he spoke. It would totally ruin the feeling. I like the mute, faceless Gordon.

What if at the end of Episode three, you finally got to a place where there is a mirror hanging on a wall. You run past it at first, then back track a few steps. As you look into the mirror, your not looking into the face of Gordon Freeman... but the face of someone familiar to you... someone who has been haunting you since Black Mesa... the dark green eyes of the G-Man glare at you, as the face in the mirror smiles back at you with that evil sneer you hear these words in your head, G-Mans mouth unmoving; "Wake up Mr. Freeman, wake up and smell the ashes..."

You wake up in a cold sweat... and realize it was all just a dream... or was it?

Gordon = G-Man ... ok or not.

Well that would be the worst ending of all but meh.

For all we know, you COULD be the G-Man =) but that would be ridiculous.

No....just no that theory is getting old now srry if your new to this but it's best if it's not mentioned again unless in the form of a joke. I think the part with the G-man in the mirror would be interesting. I would actually be freaked out if I were to see him there in the mirror grinning at me and especially if the whole place is quiet.

I could picture that scene, but you know, they just put Gordon's Face onf every bit of advertising because, you know, the Gman just has a handful of realistic masks, made from human skin to look like certain peopl =___=.

As Tomu said, I'm sorry if you're new to this, but that excuse for a theory, is just a no-no.

It was a joke, and even if I was serious, Valve wouldn't do something so idiotic.

I know, just making sure you're caught up with the rest of us XD

Everyone already knows what he looks like... so no it wouldn't spoil anything for me, but for people unable to keep a distance to the game I guess it could be upsetting.

Anyway, I don't have much difficulty imagining that I'm Gordon as I look pretty much like him :D

Lucky

We had a substitute a long time ago in like, grade 8 (so like, 5 years ago Oo) Who looked EXACTLY like Gordon.

I read that MINOR SPOILER:
In EP2 the perspective of player leaves Gordon for a few moments
but I don't think that you actually see Gordon when this happens.

I voted no ... I don't think it would spoil or ruin anything if we got to see a reflection of Gordon, whether in water or a mirror or even some kind of delusion or hallucination invoked by the G-Man like the one in Episode Two. Gordon would look at his own face outside his body while floating in an interdimensional limbo as the G-Man pontificates to him ... or maybe he just smokes some good shit and starts trippin'.

Well, it's better than simply walking up to a stupid mirror anyway. It worked in Doom 3 and Duke Nukem 3D, but I think Valve would have to take a more creative approach and make it a kind of introspective experience brought on by the G-Man forcing Gordon to look into his own soul.

Hehe, I'd like to see end cutscene of HL as that when Gordon gets back to school, then professors comes and says "Congratulations Mr. Freeman, you just passed the MIT graduation!". It would show as movie like. Gordon would say nothing and have no kind of expression. Then he would look around for a while and there would be someone coming to him and saying "Would you like a place at Black Mesa?" and the end :D

Back