Votes: 47 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 38 40.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 9 9.6%

• Total voters

D€vIL²

Reaction score
If you bought a copy of HL2 with you own money do you think its ok to download a warez/hacked (or whatever you want to call it) version? :O

If you've bought the game, you're entitled to play it, however downloading a warez copy instead would not be technically correct, seeing as it is altered in a substantial amount of ways, and therefore is not the same product that you purchased.

1. why would you want/need to
2. why would you risk virus/steamtrick when you already got it?

i'm not sure if it is rong to get warez if ya purcased it but
i now for a fact it is rong to to not pay valve for hl2!

the only reason i asked was because i heard that the load speeds were quicker and other things were smoother I guess. i wasn't planning on getting a pirated version myself i just had the question pop up and didn't know the answer

Yes it's piracy, and it supports the pirates.

But go ahead and do it, people who'd want to do that deserve the Steam bannage.

bassman61588 said:
the only reason i asked was because i heard that the load speeds were quicker and other things were smoother I guess.
Well, that's the rumor anyway. I think it's just a way for people to make themselves feel better about using a questionable version of the game. To my knowledge, this alleged performance increase has yet to be substantiated.

wow all these posts say dont do it but when you look at the results more people voted no...lol

Wheres the: Why the hell would I want to when I already have it? option??

No, it isnt piracy. If you've paid for it, then it's considered a backup.

EDIT: lol, this is my 666th post. :D

That would not be legal. Whether it's morally OK or not to you is a different matter. I still wouldn't do it.

Well of course it's still illegal, but since you've purchased the game, there's not a really good reason why you shouldn't be allowed to use a pirated version as long as you're not doing it to allow someone else, directly or indirectly, to use your legal version.

nope, downloading a back up copy of software you own the rights to is not illegal.

CreamOfetus said:
nope, downloading a back up copy of software you own the rights to is not illegal.

Indeed.
If you have the receipt for your purchase (digital or otherwise) it is considered a backup.

And that will hold up in court.

Technically it's piracy: it's not a legal piece of software. But if Valve got your money, it doesn't matter to me.

I'm using a crack on my laptop that makes Steam think you've got the Steam version and not retail, so you don't need a DVD, because my laptop only goes 'Preparing to play Half-Life 2' and does nothing afterwards. Turns out it was that Securom protection, a no cd crack bypasses it. So I needed warez to make it function properly.

CreamOfetus said:

No. The warez versions are backwards engineered pieces of 3rd party software that violate the EULA, that's no back-up. It's no 1 on 1 copy, it's modified. That's illegal.

PvtRyan said:
Technically it's piracy: it's not a legal piece of software. But if Valve got your money, it doesn't matter to me.

I'm using a crack on my laptop that makes Steam think you've got the Steam version and not retail, so you don't need a DVD, because my laptop only goes 'Preparing to play Half-Life 2' and does nothing afterwards. Turns out it was that Securom protection, a no cd crack bypasses it. So I needed warez to make it function properly.

no-CD cracks are no big deal either. :D

Software Piracy - "This is the illegal copying of software by individuals or organisations that don't have the right licenses to do so. That could mean installing copies of a programme on more PCs than a company has licenses for, or duplicating software and giving it to friends."

You ARE allowed to make backups, but only from your own, unaltered material. Hence steam's backup utility. By downloading warez you are on one side of illegally copied, modified, and distributed materials. Therefore they can charge you for distributing warez because you are assisting those that ARE making illegal copies.

Its the same as buying prescription pills from a drug dealer while having a prescription for those drugs. Even if you have the right to own the material, you do not have the right to use illegal methods to acquire it.

Personally I don't think it's that bad (to use a no-CD if you HAVE the CD), but it IS illegal.

PvtRyan said:

The warez versions are backwards engineered pieces of 3rd party software that violate the EULA, that's no back-up. It's no 1 on 1 copy, it's modified. That's illegal.

Pretty much sums it up for me as well. Definately not legal, but if you truly paid for the game, than so be it.

Load times are faster, I have the Warzed copy. But i did buy the game, I just DLed it so i could play it at work.

CreamOfetus said:
I believe Half-Life 2 warez requires you to use a cracked version of Steam/Half-Life 2 which makes it illegal.

Chris_D said:
I believe Half-Life 2 warez requires you to use a cracked version of Steam/Half-Life 2 which makes it illegal.

Nope, No steam at all which is the main reason why it plays so much better.

The reason for shorter load speeds is becuase it most likely not in the GFC's so it does not need to retrieve the data out of the gfc making it much faster to get new data.

I use No-Cd cracks for my games that I buy, so I don't have to keep switching CD's around my drive. It's much easier, and, to be honest, I wouldn't risk getting spyware/adware/etc. on my computer just for a few seconds faster loading times. My computer is ok enough to handle it for now anyway, so...

Do what you want, it's a free country. :D

It's not illegal to own a back-up copy of something you own. And to the people claiming that it would be "supporting the pirates", how exactly? It's not like you have to pay to download it of BT or anything. They don't get any money out of it.

Maybe he wants to play SP only and doesn't want to have to deal with the steam crap to do so.

IF you were to download a hacked copy, make DAMN sure you get a "steam-less" version do you don't get your account banned. Also, check isonews and make sure you get a reputable distro.

Its not piracy you are legally allowed to "hold" a back up of any original software you own. besides. the warez version of HL2 supposedly runs faster then the original.

I've heard that you can get Hl2 to run more smoothly and with shorter load times by extracting the game files from the GCF file with GCFScape to the game folder, but to the same path as in the GCF. I haven't tried it yet, though.

Pirated copies are illegal because they bypass copy protection. Making the attempt to do so has been ruled illegal by the courts whether you own the software or not. Which I think is kinda stupid, but that just puts it at about the same level as the rest of the government.

You payed for 1 copy, not 2, sorry :(

HadouKen24 said:
Pirated copies are illegal because they bypass copy protection. Making the attempt to do so has been ruled illegal by the courts whether you own the software or not. Which I think is kinda stupid, but that just puts it at about the same level as the rest of the government.

What courts?

I see nothing wrong with it.

Dont get yourself banned tho.

bassman61588 said:
the only reason i asked was because i heard that the load speeds were quicker and other things were smoother I guess. i wasn't planning on getting a pirated version myself i just had the question pop up and didn't know the answer

well nevermind how much quicker or smoother it may be...would u be okay with Valve banning ur Steam account from the network altogether? i guess that is the real question here since u already purchased the game through legit means.

yes, it is piracy. you are most likely using BT, so you are sending chunks of your game to other people. you're helping other people warez the game while you warez it. so yes, it is piracy. :E

Dr. Freeman said:
well nevermind how much quicker or smoother it may be...would u be okay with Valve banning ur Steam account from the network altogether? i guess that is the real question here since u already purchased the game through legit means.

well, if he gets the steam-less version he won't have to worry about it since valve will never know he has it.

1. it is illegal to download
2. you own the rights
3. it is illegal to download, even tho u own the rights, it is a differant product. it is like dling a song you own the album of, 'why????'
go figure

rf

Back