Would you like something changed in HL:S?

1. New weapons models
2. Remake of the classic maps (Boot_Camp, Datacore, Stalkyard, ...)
3. Shaders system
4. Physics
5. Movements

:)

-new high-detail-textures
-new high-poly-models
-more variations of each monster-type (slightly different in size, color or build... just to make them more individual like the scientists)
-more "organic" xen... perhaps with some new critters, which don´t attack the player... simply to add more life and "credibility"
-bigger and more detailed outdoor-areas
-FEMALE scienti(s)ts!!! ;-)

can we just get rid of the whole underground tunnel system thing? i really hated that

Wraith said:
can we just get rid of the whole underground tunnel system thing? i really hated that

or at least make it shorter... with more than one Garg :)

Calgar said:
I really dont want any changes at all.
They would only ruin the memories :(

LOL, it's a game not your first blow job. A good makeover of the engine and graphics wouldn't seriously have that much of an impact. Games date faster than Pam Anderson on the rebound. With each new game that comes out new technologies emerge that actively enhance the game play experience and expectations of the public.

When you first played Half-Life I'm quite sure it blew you away (I know it did me), but trust me if you play it again now it seems pretty tame compared to MoHaa, CoD, Halo of Doom³. The old AI can't strafe (they either run or shoot..never together), and the levels are fairly pedestrian at the extreme compared to the sort of games we experience now. I'd be more than happy to see Valve carry out a complete revamp of the original, and breathe new life into it for a new generation. I'm not expecting changes in the storyline, but updates and tweaks to the graphics, levels and atmosphere wouldn't go amiss.

With everyone going they should have the easter eggs in there like city 17 plans maybe just maybe there is something like those things we just don't know about it. considering Half-life2 isn't out yet for all we know it could. =D

i wish there was a new final boss... the nihilanth thingy was gay if u ask me

-merc

It would also be nice if they could remix and remaster some of the sounds as well. Adding some heavier, more crisper sounds would help to make the game more up-to-date. It worked for the high definition update; why not again, go that extra step?

Kadayi Polokov said:
LOL, it's a game not your first blow job.
Are you implying I misused the CD?

I think the whole point is that it is what it says on the tin; Half-Life: Source. I don't see why they ought to change it - leave it as is. Although it would be nice to have some higher poly models as opposed to the old ones - from the screens I've seen it looks a bit dodgy.
Even if it was just a few of the models that were updated (ie: everything that makes a return in HL2 - crowbar, G-Man, barnacle, etc.) were there, but it doesn't look like it. I suppose if they did that it might look a bit patch-work, but it'd make the update seem more worthy, as far as I'm concerned.
Perhaps some kind souls will mod the newer models in/create higher-poly versions of the old models. Meh.

They aren't updating anything, unless it's a suprise, they're simply porting HL1 to Source... There won't be anything new or exciting unless of course you haven't played the first one...

But then again maybe Valve is keeping something from us (some sort of easter egg) but I highly doubt it. If I were a developer, and I was about to launch a game as big as Half-Life 2, the HL1 port would be the last thing on my mind.

If you're making a conversion/port, there's some things you don't mess with:

Map layouts (add more detail, increase the polycount, but the overall layout has to be the same)

Weapons (no additions, no removals, no non-cosmetic changes)

NPCs (including enemies - same as above)

Anything else is ok. I liked some of the "tie-in" ideas - seeing the manipulator plans etc because they don't alter the fundamental gameplay mechanic.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Map layouts (add more detail, increase the polycount, but the overall layout has to be the same)

Anything else is ok. I liked some of the "tie-in" ideas - seeing the manipulator plans etc because they don't alter the fundamental gameplay mechanic.

I disagree tbh. I think there is a lot of mileage to be gained from tweaking some of those elements to make for a better gameplay experience:-

Maps. Dust in CS:S isn't spatially the same as the version used in CS or CZ, but fundamentally it follows the layout. As long as a converted map followed the principles of the original design I don't see any problems with altering them here and there if it adds to the atmosphere.

NPCs. I certainly think that there exists a golden opportunity to tie in Eli and Kleiner as characters at the beginning of the game at least prior to the accident in some way. A lot more diversity of appearance wouldn't go amiss either, as well as some female scientists to add a bit more pathos to the storyline (Alyxs mother perhaps).

Kadayi Polokov said:
I disagree tbh. I think there is a lot of mileage to be gained from tweaking some of those elements to make for a better gameplay experience:-

Maps. Dust in CS:S isn't spatially the same as the version used in CS or CZ, but fundamentally it follows the layout. As long as a converted map followed the principles of the original design I don't see any problems with altering them here and there if it adds to the atmosphere.

NPCs. I certainly think that there exists a golden opportunity to tie in Eli and Kleiner as characters at the beginning of the game at least prior to the accident in some way. A lot more diversity of appearance wouldn't go amiss either, as well as some female scientists to add a bit more pathos to the storyline (Alyxs mother perhaps).

Regarding maps, that's what I was trying to say. As long as the fundamental mechanic of the map is the same, then it's fine. When people start adding things that change how it actually plays, then it's wrong.

Ditto with Eli and Kleiner - they won't affect the gameplay at all, and they won't change the overall plot.

It's when someone starts trying to make it "better" that the problems start. It ceases to be an update to the original, and becomes what the new creator thinks it should be.

No changes thank you. Changing anything basic (except for source.. things) would mean it's no longer Half-Life.

Pi Mu Rho said:

Agree.

I think re-vamping the office levels in source, would be a overhaul in it-self. Imagine going throughout the levels see realisticly(sp?) having flood damage and not just seeing little sparks surrounded by chords with a 5 inch diametre. Also, in one of the HL2 movies, they already have a model of the alien slave. They could just port some of the original models over after source is completed.

I just think they should:
- Implement HL2 AI
- Add some chrome effects to WORLD and MODEL entities (ie textures with the chrome_ prefix; etc).

If I remember correctly, hl:s is simply their test to see how easy it would be to port games to the new source engine. I don't think they planned on a whole new revamp of the game in order to make sales. It took them long enough to get hl2 done. If you compare hl:s to the original hl, it is still quite an impressive upgrade.

I still hope that they include the mini-game idea. Making the alternate ending actually playable would be somewhat fun, and entertaining. Of course since Gordon has no weapons it would be tough.

Hey! How about he picks up one of those spare hive-launcher guns?

How long would you last?

(It's still a possiblity, seeing as it doesn't interfere with the story in any way. I'd e-mail Valve with the idea, but they have enough problems already. And since the RC was already sent, not much would be changed. Oh, well. A fun thread for the speculation and the things that could have been.)

Change the mounted weapons feel abit

Make them seem like your actually controlling them

I emailed Gabe to see if he was considering re-vamping that part with the open skybox, the cliff-face level. I remember him saying in an interview that, looking back, he found it embarassing that they were limited to doing that.

Someons bound to make a full recreation. And besides, why buy it if its almost the same as HL? I hope they upgrade everything, exept story related things.

Imagin, with Source they could realy make Blach Mesa. I mean, make it as a real reserch facility. Not just a tunnel made of corridors like HL and most other games.

Imagine STALKER, only with HL :E

Should ideally overhaul the less game-effective areas like models, textures and sounds and then once they are all sorted out nicely, work on HL2 AI integration, see if it really does effect the experience too much.

Could always have options in Settings to remove certain things.

I would, for one, love to work on a project like this, put together a design document or something.

Back