Wouldnt it be cool if u could play as a strider?

I think Valve said a while ago that they'd done that for their own enjoyment. They're not drivable in game because they're not vehicles (not to my knowledge, at least) but I'm pretty sure that Strider Match for MP would be just about the best thing ever. EVER.

Hell yeah :)
It'd have to be 3rd person, let's face it. A bit like Godzilla on the Gamecube except quite different... It'd be amazing if you could be resistance fighter teams as well. Despite the fact you'd probably get d*cked on by the Striders... Maybe they could be AI...

Or just fill the entire map with things for the freedom fighters to hide behind ;)

Varg|Hund said:
Or just fill the entire map with things for the freedom fighters to hide behind ;)
And give them buggies and a fair bit of ammo... 4 Striders Vs. 28 Resistance fighters... Hmmmm...

D'you reckon if you used the buggy and drove really fast into one of the Striders' legs it'd topple?

el Chi said:
I think Valve said a while ago that they'd done that for their own enjoyment. They're not drivable in game because they're not vehicles (not to my knowledge, at least) but I'm pretty sure that Strider Match for MP would be just about the best thing ever. EVER.

Aren't they? Then what are they, animals?

I thought they were (along with the Manatees) biomechanical organisms. Or something...

Ya, could make a very fun map :E

Buggies swoooosching :)P) around, crashing through obstacles while avoiding the slow, lumbering striders. Oh, and let's not forget a machine gun mount, making the buggie a two-person vehicle.
/me drools.

I think a co-op game agaist striders would be cool . it could be 32 player server, with 5 AI striders. :D:D:O:O

TIIMMYY said:
I think a co-op game agaist striders would be cool . it could be 32 player server, with 5 AI striders. :D:D:O:O
AI Striders!? Pfffft. The whole point is that you get to play as a Strider. I'm sorry but I won't settle for anything less, so let's try a little harder, shall we?

yeah 32 players , and 5 striders controled by actual players , i hope u can actually do this ! that would be awesom

1 massive 32 player map with 32 striders...that could be quite entertaining.

And would probarly do strange and terrible things to your cpu ;)

Nah, not pointless. Actually it could be very cool. One this that's bugging me though is the movement of the strider.

How would movement be managed in order to give the kinda movement we saw already from the strider? The strider would use his legs not in an extremely orderly fashion. E.g. the beast would stand on his hind legs to empale a resistance member.

How the hell would one do this with a regular wasd+mouse movement system, since the only weapons available would be the strider minigun (say mouse1) and the bigkillerspacewarp (say mouse2).

I wonder, maybe a "top down" alternate view to where the player can manage every leg of the strider separately ( in an RTS fashion where you select one leg and click once to make it move to the desired position). For example, such a view can be use for some badass empaling and if the player ever makes a bad leg move, the strider could very possibly topple. Man, such a system would be challenging but equally rewarding.

What do you guys think?

I think that would make walking down the street a chore, but I see what you're getting at :)

First off: No it would not be pointless, it would be hilarious and refreshing. If you think it's pointless, fine don't play it.

Second, I don't think a top-down view would be quite as fun... But you make a good point about the different attacks... Perhaps category 1 could be melee weapons (ie: legs - kick object such as car or impale) and category 2 would be the gun. That'd be the main one though...

Crusader said:
I think that would make walking down the street a chore, but I see what you're getting at :)
Yeah. But there necessarily would be two modes of movement. (i.e. two view modes)
1) The wasd+mouse mode where you can walk (where leg movement is managed by some kind of AI which makes sure to walk over small obstacles), crouch, run, shoot both of the weapons.
2) The "top down" RTS mode where you point, click and drag for precise leg movement thanks to which you can empale people, throw cars around, etc.

Maaah that would be cool! Imagine walking up to a group of player-controlled resistance fighters and shooting a few volleys of your minigun, halt amongst them, hit one key which switches your view to a top down one, empaling action. woot :)

will be cool a expansion were you are a combine soldier and them you drive the strider
and maybe the gunship or dropship

i don't think top down perspective would be too useful considering you'll probably end up toppling yourself over and third person would be messed up considering the strider blocks out most of your view.

i think you should have AI handling leg placement while you control direction, distance to ground, the guns and cannon, and maybe press a button to get the AI legs to impale someone if they are close yo you, press another button to shake off the corpses

Flyingdebris said:
i don't think top down perspective would be too useful considering you'll probably end up toppling yourself over and third person would be messed up considering the strider blocks out most of your view.

i think you should have AI handling leg placement while you control direction, distance to ground, the guns and cannon, and maybe press a button to get the AI legs to impale someone if they are close yo you, press another button to shake off the corpses

agreed. It could me made with a weapon menu system that includes melee 1. kicking.... melee 2. stabbing/getting rid of....

Could you have loads of people stabbed at once on your legs? Like a human kebab.

Itll probably be a mod with resistance vs. striders. while resistance defends something a strider has to blowup. like 15 striders versus 40 resistance. the server will be able to handle it :)

Rupertvdb said:
Could you have loads of people stabbed at once on your legs? Like a human kebab.
Chilli sauce? Salad?

Sandler said:
It would be pointless.. :|

i think it would be fun...........but not really part of the story though.... :naughty:

Meh, it'd suck.

Making the Strider a simple machine or robot that can be controlled is like removing 99% of the Badass-factor.

Wham - Wake Me Up, Before You Go Go

resistence verses Strider!

The guy that scores the winning kill gets to be the strider next time. :)

Silent_night said:
I think it would be fun to just walk around and destroy evrything u see.

You can. It's called Painkiller.

The whole point of HL & HL2 is to use that squashy pink lump of matter in your skull... isn't it?

garbage... the game would be garbage in multiplayer if you would be able to control striders except if AI controlled them then it would be fun because striders arent vehicles there aliens it would be gay if you could controll them.. so fake

A2597 said:
resistence verses Strider!

The guy that scores the winning kill gets to be the strider next time. :)

Hehe, that's a pretty cool idea though :D Kinda like Jedi Master in JK2 MP :)

SilentAssasin said:
garbage... the game would be garbage in multiplayer if you would be able to control striders except if AI controlled them then it would be fun because striders arent vehicles there aliens it would be gay if you could controll them.. so fake

You don't see the fun in being something that big in a multiplayer game?! Personally, i'd like to see a variation on TFC's hunted. One player plays the strider, the rest are now the HUNTED. =D

The_Monkey said:
Yeah, it would be fun...but hard to make.

Hard to make? Gabe said he did it for fun. We all know they don't spend that much time having fun with it. Obviously it's an easy mod to make, or they wouldn't have did it just to amuse themselves.

hehe Nah thats why they delayed it... They spend 50% of their time just fooling around with the game so they cant concentrate on finishing it :dork:

Wouldnt it be cool if u could play as a strider?

No, that would be as fun as having your fingernail slowly peeled off with a screwdriver.

Dalamari said:
No, that would be as fun as having your fingernail slowly peeled off with a screwdriver.

Thanks for the mental image :x

Back