wtf mate, weird shadows

Illegal Amigo

Reaction score
What's wrong with this shadow!? I'm seeing this effect more and more, and I have a 9800 Pro 128mb/AMD 64 3000+/1gb ram. Help!

Settings are on medium. :-/

Attachments

• ****ed.jpg
    ****ed.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 291
I think everyone's shadows are like this for some reason... could be wrong though.

Are your shadows like that?

Edit: The shadow looks a lot more normal from other angles.

Illegal Amigo said:
Are your shadows like that?

Edit: The shadow looks a lot more normal from other angles.

Yeah my shadows are pretty much like that, only really notice how pixelated they are when I'm right up close to them.

Your graphics look fine though, I wouldn't worry.

Everyone's shadows are similar to that. Don't expect the hard lined shadows like DOOM 3 and other games. The game would run a lot slower if it had those kinds of high quality shadows.

My shadows are huge great big square blocks :s.

Illegal Amigo said:
should i turn dynamic shadowing down or off?
I would turn "graphics whore" down a notch or two. That should fix it! :E

I keed, I keed...

Razor said:
My shadows are huge great big square blocks :s.

IIRC you need the latest drivers to your graphics card to get it fixed.

Loke said:
IIRC you need the latest drivers to your graphics card to get it fixed.

I've got the same problem with my 6800gt. Except I already updated my drivers and nothing changed :\

shadows look like that, I have the latest drivers.
it's not annoying at all to me, things run so nicely and look so good, and the game is so immersive I never stop to check out the shadows.

kjac said:
I've got the same problem with my 6800gt. Except I already updated my drivers and nothing changed :\

I had tht with my 6800 Ultra but i installed the drivers that came with the demo and it sorted everything out

kjac said:

Hmm, weird. I got that problem myself too first, but after I updated the drivers it worked fine.

I heard though that if you change your "Shadow"-level to medium it should be fixed.
Not sure if that's true though.

EDIT:
I had tht with my 6800 Ultra but i installed the drivers that came with the demo and it sorted everything out

Yeah, that's what I did. Try that if you haven't already.

yeah pixelated shadows occurs when someone dies or is wounded, its normal. When alive and kicking its fine.

BF2 uses projected shadows (i think, might not be the right name to tired to look it up!) which when viewed from any angle but the top they become blocky. You can see a great example of this in the game children of the nile. Just dont kill anyone and you wont see these "errors" but you might not win!

Illegal Amigo said:
What's wrong with this shadow!? I'm seeing this effect more and more, and I have a 9800 Pro 128mb/AMD 64 3000+/1gb ram. Help!

Settings are on medium. :-/
Probably has something to do with Teamkilling.

mindless_moder said:
turn up ur anti aliasing in the video options
That just get's rid of jagged edges on polygons and such... Nothing to do with shadows.

Or I am completely wrong :O

It rounds jagged edges in general as far as I know.

I have AA on x4 though and the shadows aren't much different. I think they're supposed to be like that to be honest.

Get concentrating on the game anyway! ;)

Another example: Mine is very noticeable and bothersome...

Attachments

• Image221.jpg
    Image221.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 229
It's a problem with most ATi cards. I get it too - you've just got to deal with it.

Axyon said:
It's a problem with most ATi cards. I get it too - you've just got to deal with it.
are you sure it's a problem? I have never seen a screenshot of BF2 that didn't have those kinda shadows, I noticed it in a lot of the videos as well but it doesn't bother me that much to have mentioned it.
I usually turn shadows off, these I can leave on, they look pretty decent changing in realtime and don't give me a performance hit.

Mr. Redundant said:
are you sure it's a problem? I have never seen a screenshot of BF2 that didn't have those kinda shadows, I noticed it in a lot of the videos as well but it doesn't bother me that much to have mentioned it.
I usually turn shadows off, these I can leave on, they look pretty decent changing in realtime and don't give me a performance hit.
Well, if they're not a problem then they're the most ugly shadows I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

Functional though... I've seen shadows of troops before the troop pops out.

I don't think it's that much of a problem, it only effects me up close.

hmm i only get pixellated shadows when someone dies, when npcs are alive the shadows aren't pixellated, the mg shadow on the tank is pixellated though.

Just out of interest, can someone post a screenshot with shadows that are 'normal', ie not blocky and gnarly-looking?

Back