X800 or Nvidia 6800 Ultra

gweedodogg69

Reaction score
Which one should I get, the best version of the X800 (since I only have AGP) or the Nvidia 6800 Ultra? I'm kinda stumped...a lot of my friends say that the 6800 is 2nd best to the X850 card, but the X850 is PCI-E or else I would get that.

an X800 XT is pretty much identical to an X850 so if you get that you're squared away

X800 XT PE is even closer to X850 XT or maybe the same so i would go for the X800 XT PE (Platinum Edition)

Well... if you get the 6800 ultra as PCIxpress, your next "video card upgrade" could just be a second Ultra in SLI.
It all depends on how frequently you intend to buy new parts or if you make new computers out of old parts.

So most people prefer X800XT PE? I found a Sapphire one for ~$510.00

Which is a better "brand"? Sapphire? Visiontek? Gigabyte?

ATI, Sapphire, Visiontek (Xtasy), Asus, HiS (IceQ)...

Asus and the cards are about the same just the 6800ultra can do alot more than the x800

giant384 said:
Asus and the cards are about the same just the 6800ultra can do alot more than the x800
Even if you think the 6800Ultra is just ahead or just behind the X800XT PE, most agree the 6800U is just not worth it because the 6800GT is soo close in performance.

That's where the X800XT (non-PE) comes in as a good option on the ATI side as well. It's also really close to the top end in performance and less $$. Just preference between the cards, no right/wrong.

get a 6800 GT and overclock and unlock the extra piplines and then get a arctic sliencer for it :D

mmm Extra pipelines? None to be found. It has 16 already just like the X800XT, PE and 6800U.

Asus said:
mmm Extra pipelines? None to be found. It has 16 already just like the X800XT, PE and 6800U.

oh right i thought it came with 12 pipe lines instead of the 16 pipelines the Ultra has

EDIT: yeh my mistake they all have 16 pipelines and the 6800 standard has 12 pipelines

I would rather get a 6800 GT myself, its really fast, overclockable, and I know that the X800 has all that but I would ideally like PS3 and DX9c effects like proper HDR. Also nvidia drivers have better support for multi-monitor setups, which is good in my situation.

all I can say is I own the Ati X700 (256mb) PCI-E card and its ownage @ $205 USD CS : source video test average 99.6 FPS. While the X850 averages at 105 FPS at a way higher price.

The reviews in my Custom PC hardware mags (search anywhere, they are one of the best performance/modification mags on this planet) reviewed every single X700 out, and recommend the 6600GT by far compared. Dont get me wrong, X700 is a good card that I would prefer to my 9800 Pro - but 6600GT is a better all round performer quite considerably.

Yes I love my 6600gt it performs great and supports PS 3 and HDR which is really worth going for once you have seen it. The X800 is faster but does not support as PS 3 and all of the features that "come" with it. I would agree the 6800gt would be the best especially when overclocked. You could save yourself some money in the process.

Well im not gunna get into the arguement about the nvidia cards cause im a ati fanboy. But if you can find a card thats cheaper then the high end cards and allmost performs as good you have yourself a winner imo.

X-FacToR said:
Well im not gunna get into the arguement about the nvidia cards cause im a ati fanboy. But if you can find a card thats cheaper then the high end cards and allmost performs as good you have yourself a winner imo.

Haha well done, thats the most civilised argue settlement by a fanboy, people should learn. :cheers:

If you're gonna get a 6800gt, i don't recommend Gigabyte- their h/s and fan set up might look cool, but they have a nasty habit of incresing idle temperatures. I waited until mine was idling at 65C 3 months after i got it before i sent it back. (and am now waiting for a replacement) It might just be mine- is there anyone with this card who doesn't have this problem?

I hear the Artic Silencer 5 kit is good, but using those voids the warranty.

I Ordered My 6800 Ultra From Newegg! Rush Ordering And Overnight Shipping! Should Receive Soon!!! Whooooooooooooooooo

Back