Xbox 2s "Pay us more money" System

Burn

Reaction score
Anyone whos yet to watch the video from microsoft, I will explain.

Useing an easy interface and quick money transfer that needs no inputting of CC numbers etc etc, Microsoft have come up with a way to milk more money from us.

The example in the video goes as follows. An online raceing game. Players will be able to use Xbox2s menu to go into an online shop, where the game makers have put stuff there we can buy with a simple press of a button, in the example given, you could buy new wheels, turbo kits and Wings for your car for a doller each.

Is this what xbox 2 is going to be? A whore console where game designers can make the players fork out money to buy the game, then more to buy the content for it?

*Ends rant*

WHO CAREZ DOOD, XBXO HAZ BETAR GRAFIX TEHN COMPUTAREZ ADN HALO PPPWNZ EVARYTIN OLOLOLOLOLOLO

I hate X-Box and everything associated with it, except for Half-Life 2.

They already do that with downloadble content on the current xbox, you really dont have to buy it if you don't want to pay for it.

Sainku said:
They already do that with downloadble content on the current xbox, you really dont have to buy it if you don't want to pay for it.

Yeah, but its very easy to do now. More game makers will whore it.

If you're the kind of person who would pay for that, well then, go ahead. You could say the same thing about MMOs and expansion packs.

SidewinderX said:
If you're the kind of person who would pay for that, well then, go ahead. You could say the same thing about MMOs and expansion packs.

MMOs are not normall games, they have ALOT more content then normall games, expansion packs are pretty well full games in themselves. ;)

Ritz said:
Anyone whos yet to watch the video from microsoft, I will explain.

Useing an easy interface and quick money transfer that needs no inputting of CC numbers etc etc, Microsoft have come up with a way to milk more money from us.

The example in the video goes as follows. An online raceing game. Players will be able to use Xbox2s menu to go into an online shop, where the game makers have put stuff there we can buy with a simple press of a button, in the example given, you could buy new wheels, turbo kits and Wings for your car for a doller each.

Is this what xbox 2 is going to be? A whore console where game designers can make the players fork out money to buy the game, then more to buy the content for it?

*Ends rant*

Ritz, i think it is more along the lines of, you would go out and buy GranTurismo4, then a few weeks later, someone might come up with a nice car and sell it for one dollar over the system. The car would be like an old vintage that wasn't included in the game, so, if you want to buy it, you may, if not, then don't.

LOL

no.

they wont make you pay real life money to upgrade your car on a game with new wheels.

they may sell more content (significant amount of content for the money I should think) to be downloaded to your ...(microsoft voice "oh no.. we aren't including a hard drive this time.. damnit...
wait thats great! now we can make them pay extra for the hard drive! And and we can put all the good content only available to download! .. if you have a hard drive ! yea! we will take over the universe!")

They are already doing something like download pac man for $5 dollars or whatever. Im not buyin in.

and I don't think Im going to get the xbox either.

I would rather have a PS 3. automaticly you can't beat it. Japan is the country that makes most of the games so if you can't sell the XBox to japan - what makes you think japan is going to be making much games for it.

We shall see! this is going to be the battle of the century this time! I just know microsoft is going to drop the A Bomb! sorry if that offends you.

:bounce: ooh ooh, is it my turn to make a hasty and premature decison???

The moment I saw those Xbox2 UI screens I realized the whole project must be a corporate wet dream - a consumerist joybox in every family household.

When you separate content out into bits and pieces as they're doing, it becomes much easier to establish a precedent for over-charging, and the marketing potential is obvious. How much is a unique car model for your racing game worth to you? 50c? $1? Do you really think there aren't people out there who'd pay $5 for the ability to use something nobody else has? How much is your image worth to you?

When you couple that with the whole ranking / achievement system they're implementing that too just looks like it's aimed at fueling expenditure. Upgrade your firepower and you can outrank that kid next door!

Puke.

Lemonking said:
wow that sucks? You mean real money for a pixel tire?

haha, your post made me :LOL:

Xbox2 is an awsome device, but I recommend you stick with PC

Warbie said:
:bounce: ooh ooh, is it my turn to make a hasty and premature decison???

I dont think Nintendo will battle it out on sony and microsofts terms. I remember hearing you say the same.

Nintendo never even wanted that territory - well, of course they want all the sales they can get but - they are aiming at a different consumer- the nintendo fan consumer. which is larger than life

It's still way to early to draw any conclusions on any of the next gen consoles but uh, this does not help the Xbox 2 out in the "have-to-buy" list for me.

I hope that will be something extra and special an not that you hav to buy it all to enjoy the game

This seems like an option. No way are they going to FORCE you to do this to advance in a game. Not going to happen. THis is going to be an option for people that want to use the service...perhaps for some special content not available in the original game. It's probobly the best way to institute expansion packs on consoles or adding optional content.

You guys are definitly too worked up over this. If you don't like it....don't use it.

Ennui said:
WHO CAREZ DOOD, XBXO HAZ BETAR GRAFIX TEHN COMPUTAREZ ADN HALO PPPWNZ EVARYTIN OLOLOLOLOLOLO

I hate X-Box and everything associated with it, except for Half-Life 2.

word!! :bounce:

Orgonomist said:
The moment I saw those Xbox2 UI screens I realized the whole project must be a corporate wet dream - a consumerist joybox in every family household.

When you separate content out into bits and pieces as they're doing, it becomes much easier to establish a precedent for over-charging, and the marketing potential is obvious. How much is a unique car model for your racing game worth to you? 50c? $1? Do you really think there aren't people out there who'd pay $5 for the ability to use something nobody else has? How much is your image worth to you?

When you couple that with the whole ranking / achievement system they're implementing that too just looks like it's aimed at fueling expenditure. Upgrade your firepower and you can outrank that kid next door!

Puke.

Exactly. I thought the exact same thing when I saw those screens.

Topic starter, if you don't want to buy the extra content, then don't buy it! None of the things that will be available for download will be life-changing.... Like they won't sell patches or anything... It's just extra things for the fans of the game... See for true fans of games, they will spend any ammount of money for a game, because they know most of it is going to the developers of their favorite game! So a few 1 dollar things to them, is nothing....

I haven't bought a single thing on XBox Live, and I'm happy with my experience :) Sure you don't get a few maps, but who cares? Usually like a year later if nobody is buying it anymore they release it for free (like they did with rainbow six 3 I believe)

This just allows developers to add in cool new content, I'm sure developers would love to do this for everything because it means their game has a longer shelf live and such...

Again like everyone said, if you don't like it, don't use it!!! Nobody is forcing you to buy stuff off of it...

And don't think every developer will use the system, some will release content for free...

Iced_Eagle said:
And don't think every developer will use the system, some will release content for free...

Hahahaha. That was quite funny.

Anyhoo, saying the "Dont want it dont buy it" thing is quite right and you lot are allowed to say it, but think about it from different view point, with an "easy to pay" system on xbox2, more game designers are going to make content pay-only, thus the "Dont want it, dont buy it" people will be left with an unfished game.

The words "How much is your image worth to you?" is very powerful, and there cashing in on it. Just like every other industry in the world is, like pop muisc that seem to harvest cds for kids to buy, clothes and make up, the list goes on, the biggest example of "Cashing in" are games based on films. There are afew good ones around, but most of them are "Cash in" games.

So dont be a fool, people, to think companys wont milk this idea of your own image, by flooding new clothes for there online games, designs for your cars in raceing games, or a new model to use in your fav fps.

What are most companys going to go with? "Put all the content in" or "Make people pay for it, making tons more money.

Dont get me wrong, Im not a doomsayer, Im not saying all xbox2 games will be small blips on a blank screen till you fork out cash for each extra pixel, but alot will be.

edit: SearanoX, that is so true, and so so funny.

Ritz said:
Anyhoo, saying the "Dont want it dont buy it" thing is quite right and you lot are allowed to say it, but think about it from different view point, with an "easy to pay" system on xbox2, more game designers are going to make content pay-only, thus the "Dont want it, dont buy it" people will be left with an unfished game.

You're completly overreacting about this. You've not used it, been forced to use it or have any clue how developers are going to integrate it, so stop speaking on it so factually. Just relax and wait to see how it pans out.

Just to make everyone jelous,I can get any X-Box game for only 1/8 dollars per game in China,only problem is,I don't have a X-Box.

I heard that the 'next-gen games', as they call them... will have much higher prices than the ones now... The grade A titles.. games like halo 2, doom 3, and half life2, will be raised from around $50, to around $70.

I read it in game Informer.. so quote me if you wish :cool:

Back